Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
Let’s start with the letter “A” and work on down. Pick your favorite three. That’ll do for now. Next question.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Have you checked your devices for this NSO exploit?

I checked mine but luckily I am ok this time, which was a bit of a relief.
Of course you are OK, Pegasus is not allowed to work on UK or US phones, as this old article makes clear...

NSO Group, the Israeli maker of the Pegasus surveillance tool, implemented a change preventing client countries from targeting +44 numbers, the sources said, after it became aware of the British hacking scandal on 5 August last year.

“We shut down completely, hard-coded into the system [Pegasus], to all of our customers. We released a quick update in the middle of the night that none of our customers can work on UK numbers,” the source close to the company added.

[...]

The same source familiar with the company said that Pegasus was also not effective against US numbers – which is believed to have been the case for some time – as well as phones from NSO’s home market, Israel, and “all of the Five Eyes” members, Canada, Australia and New Zealand as well as the UK and the US.

[...]

Pegasus spyware is sold by NSO to vetted states for use against terrorists and organised criminals.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
I've asked so many pro-Israel individuals why Israel matters to us and have only gotten two real answers, 1. the person is Jewish and understandably wants to support their homeland, 2. the person is part of a Protestant sect that interprets pieces of the Bible to mean something about keeping Jewish people in Israel.
I've asked so many anti-Israel individuals why Israel matters so much to them, and I've never received a real, honest answer.

Perhaps the key is in the word "Jewish"?

Thanks for recognising that Israel is the homeland of the Jewish people.

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
Absolutely hilarious! apple claims to be secure.. what happens on your phone stays on your phone.. BAM! This just continues to be more and more amusing that an entity forced apple to come out publicly like a child who drew on the wall and knew it was wrong to do. the smoke and mirrors of apple are being noticed more and more!

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
I've asked so many anti-Israel individuals why Israel matters so much to them, and I've never received a real, honest answer.

It doesn't matter to me or to my country, that's the point. Israel can do what they're doing without massive US funding, sacrifices, and involvement. It's been #1 on our priorities for decades and luckily is slipping down on that list as of late, now that Biden admin is focusing on actually important matters like China.

Edit: When I say Israel is their homeland, I mean from their perspective. I don't have much of an opinion on that.

Last edited:

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
That’s a shame.
giphy.gif

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

This could be an interesting conversation , etc but not going off topic.

But at least NSO cannot hack the five eyes phones :)

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
But at least NSO cannot hack the five eyes phones :)

I'm sure they could if they wanted to, but it's their choice not to:

NSO Group, the Israeli maker of the Pegasus surveillance tool, implemented a change preventing client countries from targeting +44 numbers, the sources said, after it became aware of the British hacking scandal on 5 August last year.

“We shut down completely, hard-coded into the system [Pegasus], to all of our customers. We released a quick update in the middle of the night that none of our customers can work on UK numbers,” the source close to the company added.

[...]

The same source familiar with the company said that Pegasus was also not effective against US numbers – which is believed to have been the case for some time – as well as phones from NSO’s home market, Israel, and “all of the Five Eyes” members, Canada, Australia and New Zealand as well as the UK and the US.

sudo-sandwich

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Fortunately, most Americans disagree.
Most Americans have no opinion cause they don't know the first thing about Israel.

Most American lawmakers disagree, which is why Israel has so much control over US foreign policy (they get way more US aid than anywhere else) and even domestic matters (many states have passed unconstitutional laws against boycotting Israel in particular). Fortunately, this is changing.

Last edited:

sudo-sandwich

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
And you do? ?
I've been closely studying the Middle East for the past 8 years, most of my family is from various parts of it, and half of my friends have ties to Israel (Jewish or otherwise), so yes I do at least know the first thing.

You do too. It's obvious that you and the above guy are pretending it's about US interests like "saving our soldiers" when you know a lot better, and it's about something else. I've seen this movie a thousand times.

Last edited:

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
I've been closely studying the Middle East for the past 8 years, most of my family is from various parts of it, and half of my friends have ties to Israel (Jewish or otherwise), so yes I do at least know the first thing.

You do too. It's obvious that you and the above guy are pretending it's about US interests like "saving our soldiers" when you know a lot better, and it's about something else. I've seen this movie a thousand times.
Perhaps I misunderstood your post. ?

I do not "pretend it's about US interests", I don't believe Israel controls US politics any more than Jews control the weather.

This article is about NSO and spyware, but because NSO is an Israeli company all kinds of accusations are being made about Israel "in general".

Apple, and the author of this article, talk about "state sponsorship" as if NSO and Pegasus was sponsored by the Israeli government. The truth is it is NSO's client states who have sponsored any misuse of the product.

Reactions: tubular

sudo-sandwich

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Perhaps I misunderstood your post. ?

I do not "pretend it's about US interests", I don't believe Israel controls US politics any more than Jews control the weather.

This article is about NSO and spyware, but because NSO is an Israeli company all kinds of accusations are being made about Israel "in general".

Apple, and the author of this article, talk about "state sponsorship" as if NSO and Pegasus was sponsored by the Israeli government. The truth is it is NSO's client states who have sponsored any misuse of the product.
There's little chance NSO is just selling the product to whoever they want without their parent government's involvement. This goes for any security or weapons firm in any country. My best guess is they sold to Saudi Arabia. Maybe they aren't fully aware of who their client is targeting, and honestly I doubt Israel would want to target the US with this.

Reactions: snufflebiter

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Do saving American lives count? ?

Perhaps Israel has plenty to do defending itself from daily threats from Hamas, Hezbolah and others within it's territory without going abroad?
More like the Palestinians have plenty do themselves defending themselves from daily threats from local Zionist extremists. Imagine how active NSO is there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.