Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Get these cry babies back to work. Enough of this work from home. 3 days is more than generous. They went to the office before COVID they can do it again. If they don’t like it they can quit.
I guess we now know whose company couldn’t trust him to work from home, so he never experienced how good it is, and is just angry-jealous. ^^^ This guy

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I found more productivity and collaboration working in the office even though WFH is quite comfortable. I guess those who advocate against WFH work simple jobs and would rather work 2-3 hours at home and spend the rest chilling. Those with more demanding jobs require close collaboration with teammates to maximize efficiency and productivity.
Try working on a team spread out across multiple timezones. My coworkers and I are gonna be on Teams calls no matter if we’re in the offices or not, so working from home means it’s easier to deal with working across the timezones (no commuting to deal with before early meetings or after late ones) and easier to collaborate.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Different t businesses have different requirements. You don’t see manufacturers, retailers working from home. If collaboration is part of your job, its usually better (maybe not ALL the time) to be face to face. I think at 3/2 split is a wonderful solution.

Reactions: JM and buckwheet

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
I don't understand why people on this forum are so against people wanting to work from home. Okay, so you wouldn't do it, but why make fun of others wanting to do it and why belittle it?

I legitimately did the best work of my life during WFH. I miss it.

I think most of those that don't either a) are people who enjoy going into the office for the social aspect or b) are managers who are resistant to change.
You forgot c) don't actually work in this kind of office environment, but think everyone should commute to work because they do.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Sounds fair. Two days to be lazy and not have to drive into the office? I could do the same set up at my job, but I choose to drive in daily because I've found that working from home taints my home space with work vibes, and I don't want to think about the job while home.
Agreed I like the distinction. I have always done some work from home (in IT) but it was limited. During the plandemic work just never seemed to stop. Call me, text me, at any time because I had nowhere to go and nothing to do.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: Sikh and BrownyQ

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
I personally work from home 3 days a week and go into the office 2 days. I truly like it and could never work from home permanently. I like the face to face interaction. I mean if these are the rules that apple wants to implement then these are the rules.

If employees want 100% remote, then they’ll have to find somewhere else to work that offers that, I truly don’t think apple ever said working remote was going to be permanent.

Last edited:

TPALTony

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
I can understand why some people don't want to give up WFH but at the end of the day if you signed a contract to work from an office, that's what you're required to do. You can choose to leave if you don't want to do that but ultimately you've had an easy time of commuting costs for 2+ years and now it's over. I am a fan of WFH personally but if my job said I needed to go into an office and after 2+ years it was being enforced again then I'd have to choose...

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
It's more complicated then simply having the ability to work at home instead of the office, always has been. A lot of jobs really are hands on in offices close to labs or other facilities. There are indeed people that have an extra room and modified their networking and power to provide a localized substitute, but it ain't the same as the number of options at work. This I can do my job from home for many is an inconvenience for engineering depts especially those involved with a project with a lot of complexity and constant revisions. So for anyone discussing this you have to look at all job roles that a company utilizes, not the ones that can easily be done at home remotely. :)
IMHO for my company and our IT team, it has slowed everything down. Before I could walk down to an office and talk to someone face to face. Now I have to get ahold of a person. Many never turn on the camera anymore. Many people try to communicate over Teams chats or email now and it just falls apart fast. I call them to cut to the point...and they do not answer half the time because they are not working and probably are at some place.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
The team I work on consists of people that live in Illinois, Ohio, Tennessee, Alabama, Michigan, Canada, and Ecuador... We have a huge workload, and somehow we are massively productive without ever going into an office.
You don’t work for Apple

• Haha
Reactions: Sikh

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Two days to be lazy and not have to drive into the office?
I can’t speak for everyone’s experience, but I can speak for my own as a web developer. I work Mondays and Fridays from home and drive in Tuesday through Thursday, and most of my most productive days have been at home, maybe because I live alone, don't have pets, etc. — so there are absolutely no distractions, aside from the occasional Slack message. Very rarely are those of such priority that I can't wait to reply until I get to a stopping point.

Granted, I'm consistently productive, so my employer trusts me, which is unfortunately a radical concept for some.

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Ive been mostly WFH this year and delivered a whole project from start to finish from home. Absolutely no impact on productivity or collaboration thanks fo O365. In fact I think it's been better. I am more relaxed and feel like I am doing my best work. Being a tech company it seems so retrograde that Apple think you have to be in person to collaborate and work as a team. It's so out of date!

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Makes sense. They didn't build Apple Park for $5B so it would a climate controlled warehouse for Apple inventory.

If they don't want to come in, they'll eventually be out of work.

Maybe because they get paid 35% of the sales tax on any of their products sold in California for them to employ people in California, specifically Cupertino. It was originally 50%. And they have the same deal in place in North Carolina, valued at 850 million dollars over 40 years in NC alone. And they get a rebate of 65% of taxes paid in Texas for employing people in Austin. So why do they want people in the office?

• Wow
Reactions: Sikh and JM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.