Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
Are they unionized?
Not yet, but it sounds like Apple is pretty much inviting it with its draconian policies.

I am far more productive working from home, although not everyone is. I stayed caught up during COVID. I found that the time that you would normally spend engaged in mindless office chatter or other distractions can be spent actually doing work, and you still have time left over to throw in a load of laundry or vacuum the floors during the workday. The hybrid model is pretty awful by comparison.

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
Both sides should simply do whatever is best for them. Apple should insist that employees come to the office X days per week if they think it'll meaningfully improve their business, and employees who don't like it should vote with their feet and work at another fully-remote tech company, of which there are plenty.

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
How is this fair? Explain.
I'm a regular critic of Apple and a huge proponent of remote work, but I don't how see how Apple is doing anything "unfair" here. Apple has made it well-known that they are a firm believer of in-person work, even to those of us who don't work there. It's fine if you disagree or think that's a "boomer mentality", but at this point if you're still at Apple but want a remote job, that's 100% on you as an employee.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Every business is different. Damn, I wish I could have been a police officer, working from home. I would have brought the crime rate down to zero (minus stealing a few snickers bars from the missus)…. Instead I retired, and haven’t been out of my pj's since!

People need to act less entitled.
Electricity goes down in a storm… "Sorry mate. Working from home, so there’s nothing I can do."
Call for an emergency…. "Sorry, can you hold the line, my toddler is stuck under the sofa"
Called back to the office… "Damn, I programmed my workplace as my home address in Google and now I don’t know where the office is; can you come to me?"

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Not yet, but it sounds like Apple is pretty much inviting it with its draconian policies.

I am far more productive working from home, although not everyone is. I stayed caught up during COVID. I found that the time that you would normally spend engaged in mindless office chatter or other distractions can be spent actually doing work, and you still have time left over to throw in a load of laundry or vacuum the floors during the workday. The hybrid model is pretty awful by comparison.
Since when do unions have the power to push for 100% WFH arrangements?

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
It's amusing to see how many people consider WFH to be a lazy/relaxed mockery of hard work that they have to go do on-site. My co-workers and I have been working just as hard, if not harder than before the pandemic, 'cause you never really leave the office :).

Personally, I'm quite happy with it, and now that I've converted to being fully remote, I love it. I like having the option to go in to an office, but I don't understand why some companies are making it mandatory for everyone to go in just because. Sure, some work is hard, or even impossible to do remotely, but still...

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
So why do they want people in the office?
Because people in the office go somewhere near the office for lunch… or, when they’re not using internal catering services, having catering delivered… or are having their drycleaning done nearby? There’s probably a LOT of businesses that benefit from there being a couple hundred people milling about.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Sikh and JM

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
It ideally is a case by case basis, but I think hybrid is the best approach for a blanket solution

If people are objectively (i.e. evaluated by their boss) better at home, then I have no problems with them wfh
Yeah, only Apple’s managers know how well their employees work at home.

• Haha
Reactions: Sikh

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
The people who did WFH starting with COVID really can't draw conclusions that override what people like me who have been telecommuting for 15+ years know about it. We've spent a lot of time building companies around the concept and we got way past all these petty squabbles many years ago. We're somehow excluded from the conversation, however.

• Love
Reactions: Sikh and kfscoll

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Maybe because they get paid 35% of the sales tax on any of their products sold in California for them to employ people in California, specifically Cupertino. It was originally 50%. And they have the same deal in place in North Carolina, valued at 850 million dollars over 40 years in NC alone. And they get a rebate of 65% of taxes paid in Texas for employing people in Austin. So why do they want people in the office?
That’s pretty awesome of the cities to put tax dollars to work to entice companies to create jobs and employ residents within the cities.

👍

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
The people who did WFH starting with COVID really can't draw conclusions that override what people like me who have been telecommuting for 15+ years know about it. We've spent a lot of time building companies around the concept and we got way past all these petty squabbles many years ago. We're somehow excluded from the conversation, however.
What point of view is being excluded? What conclusions has your company’s 15+ years of telecommuting experience provide? It sounds like something that could be an interesting addition to the conversation. 😯

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Just gonna grab some popcorn so I can read how amazing people who WFM are and how productive they are and they never do anything but work

gonna grab some popcorn and amuse myself on how people who insist that office life is the only productive life probably never consider the water cooler chats, coffee breaks, or how many people meme about using toilet time to chew up the work day.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
gonna grab some popcorn and amuse myself on how people who insist that office life is the only productive life probably never consider the water cooler chats, coffee breaks, or how many people meme about using toilet time to chew up the work day.
Now now… don’t pretend that you don’t take long bathroom breaks in the comfort of your home as well. I know the scented candles are nice at home, but the office bathroom has that really nice Charmin toilet paper and free coffee to really make the trips more frequent.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Try working on a team spread out across multiple timezones. My coworkers and I are gonna be on Teams calls no matter if we’re in the offices or not, so working from home means it’s easier to deal with working across the timezones (no commuting to deal with before early meetings or after late ones) and easier to collaborate.
Companies don’t usually pay for commute time, so avoiding a long commute does actually provide a HUGE work/life balance improvement.

Though, having that de-stress time in the car is actually pretty nice if you’re able to not let traffic affect you and listen to a podcast or book on tape.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I don't understand why people on this forum are so against people wanting to work from home. Okay, so you wouldn't do it, but why make fun of others wanting to do it and why belittle it?

I legitimately did the best work of my life during WFH. I miss it.

I think most of those that don't either a) are people who enjoy going into the office for the social aspect or b) are managers who are resistant to change.
Because they are not allowed to, so they want to drag everyone with them.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I don't understand why people on this forum are so against people wanting to work from home. Okay, so you wouldn't do it, but why make fun of others wanting to do it and why belittle it?

I legitimately did the best work of my life during WFH. I miss it.

I think most of those that don't either a) are people who enjoy going into the office for the social aspect or b) are managers who are resistant to change.

You forgot c) don't actually work in this kind of office environment, but think everyone should commute to work because they do.
Or D: are people who are just having fun and purposely saying things they know will rile up those who insist that WFH is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

WFH is a steaming pile of dog vomit and everyone that works from home should lose their job and live in a gutter, where the rats even can’t stand their filth.

There. That was easy 🫣🤣

*But, seriously, E: are people that have actually decent arguments for why WFH isn’t a good long term solution, and most reasonably believe that a balanced 2/3 work week is good for everyone so far.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Why does it have to be 100% Work from home or 100% in the office? Apple have come up with a reasonable solution and those against, simply are not being reasonable.

Sure, there are people who find it hard to be around other living humans, and I sympathise with them, but society works best when there is a physical connection, not a moving picture on a screen taken by a potato camera.

Apple are doing what is right for their business. Who are we to say what they are doing is right and wrong with work locations?

• Haha
Reactions: Sikh and JM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.