Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that customers and independent repair shops will be able to repair select iPhones with used genuine Apple parts starting later this year. Alongside the announcement, Apple's hardware engineering chief John Ternus spoke with TechCrunch about the iPhone's controversial "parts pairing" process.

iPhone-15-General-Feature-Black.jpg

Repair website iFixit criticized Apple's parts pairing process last year, and Oregon recently passed a law that would ban Apple from using a "parts pairing" process in the state for devices manufactured after January 1, 2025.

Ternus argued that iPhones still work with most third-party parts:
"'Parts pairing' is used a lot outside and has this negative connotation," Apple senior vice president of hardware engineering, John Ternus, tells TechCrunch. "I think it's led people to believe that we somehow block third-party parts from working, which we don't. The way we look at it is, we need to know what part is in the device, for a few reasons. One, we need to authenticate that it's a real Apple biometric device and that it hasn't been spoofed or something like that. … Calibration is the other one."
One exception is third-party parts related to Face ID and Touch ID, which do not work in iPhones for security reasons, according to Ternus:
"You think about Touch ID and Face ID and the criticality of their security because of how much of our information is on our phones," says Ternus. "Our entire life is on our phones. We have no way of validating the performance of any third-party biometrics. That's an area where we don't enable the use of third-party modules for the key security functions. But in all other aspects, we do."
Apple does alert customers if an iPhone part is not genuine. If an iPhone has been repaired, a "Parts and Service History" section appears in the Settings app under General → About, and it shows if non-genuine Apple parts have been installed.

Ternus said this transparency surrounding repairs is important:
"We have hundreds of millions of iPhones in use that are second- or third-hand devices," he explains. "They're a great way for people to get into the iPhone experience at a lower price point. We think it's important for them to have the transparency of: was a repair done on this device? What part was used? That sort of thing."
Apple says it will be expanding the "Parts and Service History" section to show whether a used part is a genuine Apple part later this year. For more details about used parts being allowed for repairs, read our earlier coverage.

Article Link: Apple Responds to Criticism Over iPhone's 'Parts Pairing' Process

Last edited:

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
I can't support any argument that feels that cheap aftermarket parts need to be acceptable in such a device. Especially for any critical, security component. It's just wrong, and so are the people who advocate for it.

Edit: Imagine downvoting this comment. Just imagine it. Try to imaging actually believing that knock off security components are perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:

RickDEGH

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2018
Frankfurt, Deutschland 🇩🇪
You might not like the act, but the explanation does make a ton of sense, actually. I’d rather know a device has certain parts that are not genuine, than to have no idea at all. Often it’s the innocent less-tech-savvy people who suffer these things, not knowing what they’ve purchased is authentic or otherwise, not us on these tech forums or on YouTube.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I can't support any argument that feels that cheap aftermarket parts need to be acceptable in such a device. Especially for any critical, security component. It's just wrong, and so are the people who advocate for it.
there is a whole delta from parts paring the true depth module and the screen or camera modules or buttons for heaven sake. Apple has grounds to stand on for those and I agree, they like always took it to far and did so out of greed

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
Those people defending "third party repairs" are full of it. You guys are substituting B/C grade parts and charging OEM prices, and you know it.

Apple isn't preventing you from doing that, Apple is preventing you from claiming your parts are "Apple Parts" and not "stuff I bought off of AliBaba."

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
there is a whole delta from parts paring the true depth module and the screen or camera modules or buttons for heaven sake. Apple has grounds to stand on for those and I agree, they like always took it to far and did so out of greed
You're just wrong, on purpose. There is no other way to put it. There are plenty of acceptable replaceable parts, and plenty others that are not. It's fine that way. Claiming otherwise is baseless.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
If security and privacy is as important as they claim, Apple would build a firewall into a device that's connected to a network 24/7. The most basic network protection and Big Tech refuses to have it built into their OS.😑

The off chance someone managed to spoof your FaceID/TouchID is a bigger concern.:rolleyes: Needing physcial access to you iPhone already makes it harder to access your info than remotely accessing your data via the Internet. Which is the bigger security hole?🤔

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Do people get this upset of Leica cameras requiring official Leica parts when being repaired? If it was my company, I wouldn’t want potential shoddy quality third party parts going on my product which may not meet my standards and also ruin my brands reputation by being ‘cheap’ and ‘unreliable’ in due to those poor third party pieces.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It is absolute BS.

The consumer can decide if they wanna risk calibration variation or 'spoofed or something like that' parts vs. not having a functioning device at all or paying a premium to let Apple deal with it.

The reason they aren't specific, just stating 'or something like that' is that they have nothing. Very poor and unconvincing messaging.

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Greed or not I don’t care, I don’t want non oem parts in my stuff be it tech or otherwise. I’m tired of all these trash parts out there that are used in repairs.
They’ve been there forever and always will be. There’s always a way to bypass it, it’s just way worse for both repairmen and consumers.
Find a repairman you trust or go Apple.
And please, stop talking about stuff you don’t know.
(Source: been a repairman, 3 years soldering motherboards and bringing them back to life with 3rd party chips when Apple’s solution was “buy a new phone, sucker”)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.