Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
Nobody is expecting those features to work at Apple specs. The brightness, contract, and heck, the resolution may be different because you can replace OLED with an LCD.

If you want to go down that rabbit hole, why even let the display shown an image in the first place?

We already know it's a third party non-OEM display. It's has a warning under Service History in Settings.
True Tone is a feature that is based on a calibrated baseline - so it literally does nothing without that calibration except change the hue to one that is not actually True Tone.

I guess just don't understand the fuss about disabling a "feature" that doesn't actually work properly in the first place- aesthetics, they-think-it-works perception... whatever.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
No apple, no, you do this to make money. If you only part paired the security module then we could talk, however no you pair the screen which has no security features in them and cameras....... no your doing this cause your greedy AF
Did you even read the article? What Apple said should be common sense. This has literally nothing to do with greed.

mrgrdn

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2024
There are cases where iPhones are cheaply repaired and sold as refurbished originals on eBay. Sometimes iPhones are also sold cheaply in Africa. A friend from Cameroon, who has no technical knowledge, is very distrustful of Apple. The reason for this is that cheap parts are sold in Africa and used in iPhones to deceive people. Has anyone ever thought that Apple does this not only for financial reasons, but to protect their brand? They are trying to prevent all those people out there who dilute the Apple brand. I understand what everyone means, but if everyone tries to cheat each other, I prefer it when Apple makes it obvious whether the iPhone works properly as intended.

mrgrdn

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2024
Well, that could have been easily prevented with the use of a screenshot of the diagnostics page. Not that I believe your story- if someone passed off something as genuine on eBay, eBay would facilitate a refund. 🙄 I'm not sure why your colleague didn't ask for a refund/fabricated that story.
Unfortunately, that didn't work if I remember correctly. But I was there when the iPhone didn't function properly after returning from the mobile repair shop. Sadly, there are people like that. Some individuals also sell iPhones as differentially taxed and cheat people in that way.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Unfortunately, that didn't work if I remember correctly. But I was there when the iPhone didn't function properly after returning from the mobile repair shop. Sadly, there are people like that. Some individuals also sell iPhones as differentially taxed and cheat people in that way.
Why didn't the eBay refund work, out of curiosity? There must be more to the story...

inwerp

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
Uh, you do realise it would be a piece of cake to make a MacBook Pro with a replaceable SSD, right, without making it think and heavy? They choose not to, and you know why. It reduces the manufacturing cost by about $1, and it makes it damn near impossible to swap the SSD for a bigger one, forcing users to pay simply perverse and incomprehensible sums to upgrade with them, or a buy a computer they'll want to replace sooner. Lay off the Apple cool-aid, my friend.
This is unfortunately very far from being true. Since 2017, Apple planned to move Macs to its own platform, similar to iPad/iPhone. T2 was not running 'bridge OS' just accidentally; that was intentional naming. Basically, since 2018, Apple's SSD is a built-in RAID array fully built by the SoC, which is used as an SSD controller. Adding PCIe M.2 NVMe was not an option since it would require way more engineering than just putting an M.2 or, knowing Apple, some new 'gumstick 6' connector on board.

So first, they decided to develop their own platform. This is good.

Then they decided to replace the EC/SIO (SMC on Apple) with an adapted A10 iPhone 7 CPU. This was strange but necessary.

You see, to build their own ARM platform in the laptop market was a very hard task in the late 2010s. There are compromises to be made. Dropping support for 'PC' hardware was just another inevitable step.

Apple's storage, or any other hardware part, was not really compatible with PCs in 1992, nor is it now. This is .. just like it always was, both good and bad.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
This is unfortunately very far from being true. Since 2017, Apple planned to move Macs to its own platform, similar to iPad/iPhone. T2 was not running 'bridge OS' just accidentally; that was intentional naming. Basically, since 2018, Apple's SSD is a built-in RAID array fully built by the SoC, which is used as an SSD controller. Adding PCIe M.2 NVMe was not an option since it would require way more engineering than just putting an M.2 or, knowing Apple, some new 'gumstick 6' connector on board.

So first, they decided to develop their own platform. This is good.

Then they decided to replace the EC/SIO (SMC on Apple) with an adapted A10 iPhone 7 CPU. This was strange but necessary.

You see, to build their own ARM platform in the laptop market was a very hard task in the late 2010s. There are compromises to be made. Dropping support for 'PC' hardware was just another inevitable step.

Apple's storage, or any other hardware part, was not really compatible with PCs in 1992, nor is it now. This is .. just like it always was, both good and bad.
Well, they could provide expandable storage, should they wish. There are also technical workarounds that are feasible, but it's too close to bed time to break those down. As far as their motivations for their decisions- well, that's just game for speculation.

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
I completely agree with Ternus regarding the importance of properly authenticated biometric replacement parts. But there are other components, like the battery, where a 3rd party replacement could work just fine. I don't think the government has that nuanced a view though.
I can think of some people on planes that wouldn't appreciate a knock off battery.

Oh you won't buy crappy batteries that's great.

The general iPhone user is just going to see cheaper and put any self-destruction garbage in their phone.

Batteries 100% need something to validate they aren't junk.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
I can think of some people on planes that wouldn't appreciate a knock off battery.

Oh you won't buy crappy batteries that's great.

The general iPhone user is just going to see cheaper and put any self-destruction garbage in their phone.

Batteries 100% need something to validate they aren't junk.
Why is it automatically junk if a company other than one Apple employed made it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.