Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Sources familiar with Apple Retail's Graphics and Visuals plans have indicated that January 19 or 20 will bring an updated look to at least some of the graphics in the U.S. retail stores and the possibility of new products to go along with these visual changes.

(Readers are reminded that some items are posted to Page 2, not due to questions of reliability, but due to lack of specifics.)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
20th Anniversary G5 iMac please.

Would love to see a 2 GHz G5 with a 20" LCD.

edit: typo

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
It appears we will be getting a $999 iMac, at least that is what the 1st qtr financial conference seemed to indicate. Fred Anderson said that the consumer sweet spot dropped to 999.

With 15"LCD screens so cheap, Apple should be able to produce a < 1000 new new iMac.

Masao[RY]

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2003
I'd love to see a G5 iMac released :) I think 1.6GHz single would suit the consumer market just fine, I know it would for me.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2004
Re: Apple Retail Store Change on the 19th?

Originally posted by Macrumors
Sources familiar with Apple Retail's Graphics and Visuals plans have indicated that January 19 or 20 will bring an updated look to at least some of the graphics in the U.S. retail stores and the possibility of new products to go along with these visual changes.

(Readers are reminded that some items are posted to Page 2, not due to questions of reliability, but due to lack of specifics.)

Where did you get this information? Are there any other news sites posting this?

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
1.)hm a 999$ mac with 15 tft would be cool but i think that isn't gonna happen...
perhaps something 1100-1200

2.)yeah a 1,6 Mhz G5 iMac/perhaps new product would attract a lot of new users ... me including

but it has to be upgradable (for me personally)
im using a Geforce Ti4200 Graphics at the moment .... and the macs with better graphic cards are way too expensive for me...(powermac /powerbook)

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I would assume, 1.5 weeks after the Keynote, that the banners or "graphics" for the new stuff that was released (GB, iLife '04, iPod mini) would already be up. If that is the case, perhaps this is new stuff. If the other stuff is not up yet, I would assume that they are just putting that stuff up.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Anderson said eMac, not iMac and in this case a 'super eMac' was needed...he only hinted.

But super would have to mean G5, right? And how could you put a G5 in an eMac and not put them in the iMacs? So a sub $1k G5 eMac would be a killer.

We'll just have to wait to see what happens on the 20th (at least that's a clear indication that somethings happening).

D

claughery

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2003
The emac would become G5 AFTER the imac... Think about the people that use the emac- school children or college students for word processing... No need for the G5 there...

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I am SO THERE!

Originally posted by stingerman
It appears we will be getting a $999 iMac, at least that is what the 1st qtr financial conference seemed to indicate. Fred Anderson said that the consumer sweet spot dropped to 999.

With 15"LCD screens so cheap, Apple should be able to produce a < 1000 new new iMac.

If that comes true, there will be a new iMac on my desk at home very soon (perhaps I should hold off on purchaseing iLife then?)!

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Originally posted by claughery
The emac would become G5 AFTER the imac... Think about the people that use the emac- school children or college students for word processing... No need for the G5 there...

he called it "super emac" thats sounds like a new thing not an upgrade to a eMac ....perhaps something between iMac - eMac
or updated iMac ?

it's only 3 days untill the 19th so we all know very soon

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
I'e been holding off getting a 20" iMac for the last few weeks so see if a new iMac is announced. No luck in SF, but I am hopeful for late January.

Best guess:

There have been a few rumors on a new form factor and IBM will have been kicking out the 90 nm chips so that is where my bet is heading. It simply doesn't make sense to design an iMac for the 130 nm chip when the 90 nm is in production.

The iMac G5 speed will probably be more related to the production yields than the current G5 PM speeds, but the FSB cost will also be an important factor.

Most of all I think Steve J will want a new iMac to have the same impact on the market as the current one did.

My credit card is ready.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by kenaustus
Most of all I think Steve J will want a new iMac to have the same impact on the market as the current one did.

that will one impressive event if they manage to do it again.....:D

I'm all for it, though, even though I won't be buying one. Still waiting for the new Dual G5 PM.

D

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Guys, I had a really strange dream last night. Apple held a special keynote-style event, but it was not Steve on the stage.

They introduced the G5 iMac with 2 GHz...
...and then they updated the PowerMac line:
2 GHz single
2 GHz QUAD config (!!!)
2.5 GHz DUAL
and
3 GHz DUAL

I know this is way off, especially the dream about the Quad G5 (lol!) but I remember when everything was announced that the people cheered and I said to someone "Hey, NeatGekko was right!!"... :rolleyes:

;) :D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
By the posts here there are a lot of people waiting to send Apple a check if they will send us that G5 2.0 Imac. will they do it? and how long will it take? I would think if we were to have a announcement this month we would have gotten a few leaks by now. Perhaps they arent ready and march may be a better time frame for Apple? or what if they just show a bumped G4:(

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Originally posted by Stike
Guys, I had a really strange dream last night. Apple held a special keynote-style event, but it was not Steve on the stage.

2 GHz single
2 GHz QUAD config (!!!)
2.5 GHz DUAL
and
3 GHz DUAL

I know this is way off, especially the dream about the Quad G5 (lol!) but I remember when everything was announced that the people cheered and I said to someone "Hey, NeatGekko was right!!"... :rolleyes:

;) :D

You've left me hanging...who was on the stage?!? Was it....you? :p

Seriously, I can't wait. I KNOW there has to be more in the pike than we know about - and it HAS to be coming out real soon. Remember, the 20th is a tuesday, not the 19th (for those who don't know, most releases are traditionally on tuesdays - operative word: traditionally).

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
or what if they just show a bumped G4:(

That would deflate a lot of energy...I'd be disappointed. I'm ready to get rid of the G4 all together...just like Apple got rid of everything but osX. We need to move on! :D

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Originally posted by claughery

the eMac and iMac could very well go G5 simultaneously.

eMacs are used for way more than word processing. many high schools and colleges use eMacs for teaching video editing on Final Cut Pro.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by coumerelli
Remember, the 20th is a tuesday, not the 19th (for those who don't know, most releases are traditionally on tuesdays - operative word: traditionally).

Well, the work for redoing the store would be done the night of the 19th so that everything is ready on the morning of the 20th. :D

D

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Well, the work for redoing the store would be done the night of the 19th so that everything is ready on the morning of the 20th. :D

D

...wait a minute. How do we know they're doing something? I came really close to buying a 1.8 DP G5 this week and decided to wait. It's killing me, though.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
just the rumor mill working - but next week is the 20th anniversary of the mac - so it just makes sense that something would happen.

D

MacEyeDoc

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by Stike

2 GHz single
2 GHz QUAD config (!!!)
2.5 GHz DUAL
and
3 GHz DUAL

Whoa! Next time don't order that mushroom pizza! Steve not there to announce Quad 2GHz G5s! If something was going to be that insanely great, Steve would be there. I hope he will surprise us with something next week, though, as my credit card is ready to go on a Rev. B PowerMac with dual 2.6GHz. A G5 iMac or eMac would be "super" but I want a dual this time around. Just 4 days to go . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.