Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
omg. this solves one of my biggest pet peeves in technology. i detest usb plugs with symmetrical design that can only be inserted one way. who's the ******* who came up with that one?

thank you apple.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
"...the contact portion of the tongue can be thicker and more durable, with the flexible portion of the tongue minimizing the possibility of breakage and providing room for the thicker tongue to still fit in either orientation."

I can definitely think of entirely different scenarios in which this would be useful.

:D

Lol! I see what you meant. ;)

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
I have MUCH cheaper, better solution: People just learn to be patient and careful, and not jam things in too hard when there's obvious resistance to them doing so. Do we have reversible IEC plugs (mains plug for PC/Mac)? Do we have reversible shoes? Yes, this is a good idea, but designing AROUND patience and common sense? How about people just learn the hard way and suck it up, teaching them a valuable life lesson - BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT.

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
If they make the "stalk" section out of Nitinol it would last longer than your phone does. Superelastic shape memory metal FTW!

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Der!!

Like I said before, they need to scrap this idea and go with a MagSafe 2 port design. Or maybe even some sort of wireless charging. This isn't the 90's anymore.

engg2000

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Comment, NO
Amazing how people jump on the bandwagon against product improvement...

Many of you concur the piece that Apple is making from an elastomer is going to eventually snap because of repeated use. Do you even know what an elastomer is?
Boeing makes an airplane wing that flexes billions of times over the lifecycle of an airplane but Apple can't make a reversible USB cable that won't be susceptible to snapping after repeated use?

Lots of smart guys commenting in this forum.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014

Many of you concur the piece that Apple is making from an elastomer is going to eventually snap because of repeated use. Do you even know what an elastomer is?
Boeing makes an airplane wing that flexes billions of times over the lifecycle of an airplane but Apple can't make a reversible USB cable that won't be susceptible to snapping after repeated use?

Elastomer fatique takes LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of bending to even START to occur. Yup.

VeryVito

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
If there's one thing Apple is known for, it's the longevity and reliability of its cables. :eek:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Elastomers conduct electricity?

In how many of these Boeing aircraft do the electrical wire harnesses flop around a billion times over the lifecycle of an airplane.

This isn't necessarily fragile but just as resistant to failure as the normal USB socket design? Not likely.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Elastomers conduct electricity?

Conductive ones do, yes, as used in LCD watches, calculators etc:

silver_connector_medical.png

----------

Macrumors.com - "Everyone's an expert"

:D

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Elastomer fatique takes LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of bending to even START to occur. Yup.

Even then, the flex back and forth is a minimal difference. It's maybe 1 or 2 degrees of motion.

All they really need is some spring steel. Hell, even aluminum might survive that minor of a flex 100's of 1000's of times.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
It would seem this would have to be an FRAND patent, as regular USB connectors are so annoying as to make this essential for all types of cables.

Not so much FRAND but more so Apple doing extensive wrap-around patents so that can go to basic concept holder and demand substantially lower licensing costs than whatever FRAND number that holder might have come up with.

Folks are still going to need to license the core concept patent here that isn't Apples.

It is just the now normal issue with patents these days between companies. Piled-higher-and-deeper , "My stack is taller than your stack" negotiations . It only has tangent usefulness for users in mind. The vast majority of stuff flowing through patent office these days is never going to make it market at all.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Wow i dont know how i ever managed to survive the non-reversible era - it was hell on earth every day. i feel like the world is now a safer place filled with butterflies and rainbows and tasty cakes.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I have MUCH cheaper, better solution: People just learn to be patient and careful, and not jam things in too hard when there's obvious resistance to them doing so. Do we have reversible IEC plugs (mains plug for PC/Mac)? Do we have reversible shoes? Yes, this is a good idea, but designing AROUND patience and common sense? How about people just learn the hard way and suck it up, teaching them a valuable life lesson - BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT.

Why am I reminded of the old pro-Windows argument that Windows is better BECAUSE it's less reliable and harder to use, thus making you a real man or some such thing? ;) You also make it sound like making a product more durable in any way is teaching a bad "lesson." Make all hardware out of balsa wood and teach people to handle stuff gently! Don't let the device work for you—YOU should work for the device :p (I know you're kidding but some are serious so I'll point out: shoes and power plugs don't look AND feel the same in both directions. So they already have a solution for the problem USB has.)

Wow i dont know how i ever managed to survive the non-reversible era - it was hell on earth every day. i feel like the world is now a safer place filled with butterflies and rainbows and tasty cakes.

Agreed! I hate it when companies make small improvements. ONLY earth-shattering improvements should be allowed.

Non-reversible USB only bothers me 1 to 2 times a day, maximum. I'd be much happier facing such a minor problem forever instead of solving it.

Last edited:

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef

As a technician I can assure you engineers never make design mistakes.

/s

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
omg. this solves one of my biggest pet peeves in technology. i detest usb plugs with symmetrical design that can only be inserted one way. who's the ******* who came up with that one?

thank you apple.

Then you are going to be even more happy. You can get reversible USB cables right now. They've been on sale for quite some time. Apparently not marketed very well though.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
There are plenty of 3rd-party normal cords out there. I, for one, will be happy to use a USB cable that works without having to attempt insertion 3 times.

How many cables are you inserting that 3 seconds longer per cable insert actually matters?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Do we have reversible IEC plugs (mains plug for PC/Mac)?

...what, those nice, chunky hexagonal plugs that make it very easy to tell, by sight or touch, which way up the plug and socket is?

This is a specific problem with the USB A connectors where it is tricky to tell visually and almost impossible to tell by touch which way up they should go.

Like I said before, they need to scrap this idea and go with a MagSafe 2 port design. Or maybe even some sort of wireless charging. This isn't the 90's anymore.

The point of the USB connector is that it plugs into existing USB sockets. Like the ones in virtually every computer, most modern cars (or with a cigar-to-USB adapter), an increasing number of hotel rooms, some 4-way adapter strips, generic USB power supplies that you've probably already got half-a-dozen of etc. All available by simply carrying a USB cable. Even with multiple devices, you can probably get away without carrying a power supply, you certainly don't need to carry more than one.

Wireless is great but you have to carry the wireless charger with you, or at least the induction plate part (and what does that plug into the power with... tadah! USB!)

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

thank you apple.

Whomever came up with that one is a visionary pioneer. USB is **THE** gamechanging connector that truly revolutionized the world. Before that, there were serial, parallel, and remember Apple's bulky SCSI 1 and 2 connectors? How about Apple's not-so-distant firewire? Or the current Thunderbolt?

Just be thankful for a great technology and look forward to the next evolution of it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Everyone want's reversible tongues.

Is this so customers can bend them, and not break ?

Just another thing to say "Now, we can freely bend this because technology allows us, we couldn't do before"

Maybe people should just be more careful, then we wouldn't need these technologies,,

Although cool. I could also nae Sapphire here too..

Looks like the marketing hype from Apple is working. I would never get a flexible usb cable..... why ?

The reversible thing may be all well and good, and while i have tried to just "shove it in there", don't people look at ports anymore ?

That basically what sums it all up here.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Then you are going to be even more happy. You can get reversible USB cables right now. They've been on sale for quite some time. Apparently not marketed very well though.

They don't use the mechanism this article is about. Making them, in theory, more fragile. (Not sure if that has contributed to their lack of success in the market.)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lets get "flexible, flexible" Come on and get "flexible, flexible", Everybody's getting "flexible"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.