Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
When you say "too many moving parts" you mean 'one', right? ;P

He does. The same number as ethernet plugs that don't break when inserted, or phone/modem plugs, or 3 less than magsafe plugs.

We've had flexing and moving parts in sockets for decades without there being any distress about it. Take a look inside pretty much any kind of socket - chances are you will find little flexing tongues to grip the pins. And even if there was an epidemic of these things breaking, isn't it a much better idea to have the supposedly fragile part, on the cheap cable, instead of the expensive motherboard?

Last edited:

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
In theory, it'll reduce breakage in the sense that people are trying to force them cord into the port upside down. If it just flexes instead of having a movable joint or hinge, it'll be fine.

Some of you amaze me with your armchair engineering. You think Apple would release a cable like this and then afterwards being all like, "OMG we totally forgot this could break since it moves! Why didn't we consider this and design something more durable!"

Just wait for the damn thing to be released, and if you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to use it. There are plenty of 3rd-party normal cords out there. I, for one, will be happy to use a USB cable that works without having to attempt insertion 3 times.

The problem is, Apple has a history of producing flimsy peripherals. I've had multiple cables who's skin has split apart without any rough treatment, I've had the catch holding the battery cover in on the Apple TV remote break, I've had headphones who've stopped producing sound in less than two years (but out of warranty :( ). I'm not saying all their peripherals are rubbish, but I'm saying they've produced enough weak ones for me to not assume that they wouldn't do so again. I think we all know that they do seem to focus on sveltness sometimes at the expense of other concerns.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
This isn't really "Apple revealing".

Actually, it is. Revealing the invention is an integral part of filing for a patent.

----------

It would seem this would have to be an FRAND patent, as regular USB connectors are so annoying as to make this essential for all types of cables.

If it becomes part of the official USB standard, then it might have to be FRAND (depending on the terms required by the USB standard committee to accept the IP into the standard). If not, then it's fairly unlikely that it would "have to be FRAND".

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
When you say "too many moving parts" you mean 'one', right? ;P

Actually no, the pins will have to change/move as when you flip the connector over, the pinout is not the same. V+, V -, D+ and D- change. I doubt there will be a chip in the cable to do this.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Actually no, the pins will have to change/move as when you flip the connector over, the pinout is not the same. V+, V -, D+ and D- change. I doubt there will be a chip in the cable to do this.

My apologies, I'm not following. Why would the pins have to change? Only one side makes a connection.

[1234]
[----]
insulator
[----]
[4321]

Last edited:

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
topdrawer said:
omg. this solves one of my biggest pet peeves in technology. i detest usb plugs with symmetrical design that can only be inserted one way. who's the ******* who came up with that one?

thank you apple.

You must have a hard time living your life.

Anyway, reversible usb sure is nice, but I know the orientation of usb ports on my devices. Takes like 1 day to remember them. After that I don't act like a baby trying to jam in a toy in its mouth.

Bonus LPT: on horizontal USB ports, the solid part of the port is always up, the solid part of the plug is always down. Wow, I just hacked your lifes!

Actually if USB plug orientation were the hardest part of your life, the rest of your life would be pretty easy, no? Gotcha.

If you actually use multiple devices you will see the port orientation changes.
I have two devices at work where the solid part of the port is down. That misses the point as the part people have trouble with is not the port but the cable itself. That is what Apple is addressing here.

Anyway as you say, no need to insult people especially when they have no beef with you. topdrawer had a good point there. You would have seen that had you not jumped to pile on insults.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Really? You think a flexible, moving part would reduce breakwage?

Yes. 99,9% of the time what breaks is the port, not the cable. A flexible, moving connector will prevent the connector being applied as a lever to smash the port into smithereens.

hyhybt

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
What I want, and what should have been THE standard USB from the beginning, is a cable that's reversible *end to end.* Though eliminating having to tell right side up is an improvement.

iKriz

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2006
Really how hard is it to insert a USB cable into a computer.

The magnetic charging cable ok.. now that is useful.. but a usb cable thats ignorant of it's orientation.. while we're at it why not change hdmi, displayport SCART and VGA...

henzpwnapple

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
flexible joint.. :eek:

So it is easier to break now? :(

"Yes it is easier to get it in, but it is not meant for your to do frequent in-and-out jobs." :p

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
My apologies, I'm not following. Why would the pins have to change? Only one side makes a connection.

[1234]
[----]
insulator
[----]
[4321]

I don't think you understand, how is the cable magically going to swap terminal positions?

bDb2zGd.png

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
I don't think you understand, how is the cable magically going to swap terminal positions?

You're correct, I don't understand; why there would need to be magic or swapping of terminal positions required.

Leave the female connector alone, and redesign the male so that it's double-sided and "wired" in opposite directions.

Let's reference the image you posted. When you flip that male connector upside down, the contacts are in now ordered differently - we agree on that. The contacts are now ordered 1234 right?

Design the cable that way. Flip it as many times as you want - the pins will always be in the right order.

In your depicted scenario the top row of the new cable is what makes the contact with the female port since its pins are pointing down. So maintaining that orientation these new male cables (as per the numbering you've graciously supplied) is

Again this is the male cable only and not a diagram of the connection between both ports. Flip that over and you get

Magic :D

Look closely at the original patent diagram. It's all there. But it needs to be flexible to work and maintain reverse compatibility.

Last edited:

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
You're correct, I don't understand; why there would need to be magic or swapping of terminal positions required.

Leave the female connector alone, and redesign the male so that it's double-sided and "wired" in opposite directions.

Let's reference the image you posted. When you flip that male connector upside down, the contacts are in now ordered differently - we agree on that. The contacts are now ordered 1234 right?

Design the cable that way. Flip it as many times as you want - the pins will always be in the right order.

In your depicted scenario the top row of the new cable is what makes the contact with the female port since its pins are pointing down. So maintaining that orientation these new male cables (as per the numbering you've graciously supplied) is

Again this is the male cable only and not a diagram of the connection. Flip that over and you get

Magic :D

Look closely at the original patent diagram. It's all there. But it needs to be flexible to work and maintain reverse compatibility.

Can you do a little mockup/drawing? I'm kind of lost now lol, it's getting late. :) Edit: actually, are you implying/meaning that it would be a PCB with traces going to the other flip side of pins? That way it works in either orientation, because only one side is making connection, so the other side of the 'tongue' shouldn't be shorting out to the ground/shielding hopefully!

Last edited:

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
actually, are you implying/meaning that it would be a PCB with traces going to the other flip side of pins? That way it works in either orientation, because only one side is making connection, so the other side of the 'tongue' shouldn't be shorting out to the ground/shielding hopefully!

Exactly!

Yes I would expect them to anticipate potential problems like that. That would be bad. Time will tell; I haven't read the patent myself. I'll just wait to see the real deal in the wild. For me it's not a "must have" given all of the USB cables I have already.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Yes. 99,9% of the time what breaks is the port, not the cable. A flexible, moving connector will prevent the connector being applied as a lever to smash the port into smithereens.

That would be a meaningful statistic if a) it were true, and b) flexible plugs were already available in similar numbers to non-flexible ones.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
That would be a meaningful statistic if a) it were true, and b) flexible plugs were already available in similar numbers to non-flexible ones.

No idea what this means, but yes, the main cause of failure for USB-connectors (and basically any port on a computer) is that the cable breaks the port loose from the motherboard.

hyhybt

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
He does. The same number as ethernet plugs that don't break when inserted, or phone/modem plugs, or 3 less than magsafe plugs.

But those little tabs on ethernet and phone plugs often *do* break if the cable is put in and removed frequently, as is often done with USB. Or they get caught on something and snap off. Which isn't to disagree with your main point; it's just that those aren't a good example unless you're talking about semi-permanence.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
No idea what this means, but yes, the main cause of failure for USB-connectors (and basically any port on a computer) is that the cable breaks the port loose from the motherboard.

What it means is that the current "main cause of failure" is irrelevant, as flexible connectors like this are barely used, so the frequency with which they'd break isn't included in the statistics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.