Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Months after Apple pulled marijuana user social app MassRoots from the App Store on November 4, 2014, the Cupertino company has reversed course and allowed the app in the App Store as long as its geo-restricted to the 23 states where marijuana is legal, MassRoots founder Isaac Dietrich told the San Francisco Chronicle.

massroots-e1423799868465.jpg
Photo via MassRoots
"A few hours ago, an Apple representative called to notify us that our efforts were successful: the App Store is permitting cannabis social apps that are geo-restricted to the 23 states that have legalized medicinal cannabis. MassRoots is available for download in the App Store," Dietrich said.
In a blog post on its website, MassRoots notes that it will be "implementing new features to strengthen our compliance even beyond what is currently required."

Currently, the app requires users to login to their account to use the app. When a user registers a new account within the app, it requires location access to verify that the user is in one of the 23 states where marijuana is legal. However, users who register for a MassRoots account on its website and then log into the app do not undergo the state check, opening the possibility for users to lie about which state they're residing in.

Update: MassRoots founder Isaac Dietrich has contacted MacRumors, telling us the company is working on a hard geofence for both its website and Android version of its app. It should be live tomorrow.

The Chronicle notes that MassRoots is one of a dozen marijuana-related companies to see their social media apps pulled from the App Store. While MassRoots was able to reach a deal with the Cupertino company, the others are still in discussions.

MassRoots for iPhone is available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Reverses Course, Allows Marijuana Apps in Marijuana-Legal States [Updated]

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
.... Now just allow it in the other states, and stop knowing what's best for everybody.

Exactly. Apple allows apps dedicated to adultery(like the Ashley Madison app) which is illegal in over 20 states. So Apple should take that out too. ;)

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
What would cause the app to not be allowed in other states? They can't buy pot there so what does it matter if they see what's available in other states?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
.... Now just allow it in the other states, and stop knowing what's best for everybody.

It's likely that this is a logistical issue. I highly doubt Apple wants to disrupt your sex life. Err wait I read your comment and the other one together. Anyway my point stands that I don't think they set policies to pass moral judgement on others.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
The hard part would be weeding out the people who open the app in a legal state, then go to a illegal state without closing it.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I don't get it. There is nothing illegal about a marijuana app, even in the 27 states where it's not legal for any purpose. They still sell High Times magazine in Barnes and Noble all over the country, what's the difference? Why is Apple taking it upon themselves to demand the app be geofenced?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

Just because you think it's best, doesn't mean that your state won't send you to jail for something. Use your vote to vote for proper laws in your democracy or representative democracy. The people who vote decide what each state thinks is best. Not you or Apple.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
If only Steve Jobs were still around...

...he'd be token' up with this app!

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
It is legal over your side of the pond in some places? Here in the UK it really is not, although that doesn't seem to stop people - especially those from deprived neighbourhoods - using by it all the time on the street. Horrible to.walk past.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Just because you think it's best, doesn't mean that your state won't send you to jail for something. Use your vote to vote for proper laws in your democracy or representative democracy. The people who vote decide what each state thinks is best. Not you or Apple.

Ahahaha, you really believe that, don't you? :)
Totally made my day!

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
It is legal over your side of the pond in some places? Here in the UK it really is not, although that doesn't seem to stop people - especially those from deprived neighbourhoods - using by it all the time on the street. Horrible to.walk past.
It is not really legal anywhere in europe.
The US started to push all other countries to ban it decades ago and punish this minor offense with bizarre severity and now they are doing a 180 alltogether.
I personally find the entire handling of the drug issue wrong on so many levels.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

The difference is that rich people do it in their own homes.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Exactly. Apple allows apps dedicated to adultery(like the Ashley Madison app) which is illegal in over 20 states. So Apple should take that out too. ;)

Just looked that up - apparently one state still has a death penalty out for that, and and another only punishes the married woman if both partners are not married (both if both are married).

It is interesting to see how many of those laws would withstand a trial now, after Lawrence v Texas.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Marijuana is the scourge of the West. When are people going to wake up to the fact that they have been indoctrinated into a Cult of Weed?

Marijuana dumbs down the masses.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
Marijuana is the scourge of the West. When are people going to wake up to the fact that they have been indoctrinated into a Cult of Weed?

Marijuana dumbs down the masses.

Ignorance is far more of a scourge.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Point 1. They should make weed illegal everywhere in the US. The obesity problem is real and we need to do everything possible to reduce it. /S

Point 2. I wonder if Apple is concerned about getting sued in states where weed is illegal. I can imagine a situation where someone uses an app to cross the border and score weed, bringing it back to their state. they get arrested confesses that they used the app, and blam, lawsuite against Apple. i am not a lawyer, but given the way things work in this country, I see a scenario where the person was high and was in accident, which leads an amulance chasing lawyer to sue Apple for allowing the app, which somehow is responsible for the accident.

Last edited:

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Point 1. They should make weed illegal everywhere in the US. The obesity problem is real and we need to do everything possible to reduce it.

Point 2. I wonder if Apple is concerned about getting sued in states where weed is illegal. I can imagine a situation where someone uses an app to cross the border and score weed, bringing it back to their state. they get arrested confesses that they used the app, and blam, lawsuite against Apple. i am not a lawyer, but given the way things work in this country, I see a scenario where the person was high and was in accident, which leads an amulance chasing lawyer to sue Apple for allowing the app, which somehow is responsible for the accident.

Why don't we ban alcohol while we're about it.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
Point 1. They should make weed illegal everywhere in the US. The obesity problem is real and we need to do everything possible to reduce it.

Point 1. Insert fasepalm.jpg

http://healthland.time.com/2011/09/08/marijuana-slims-pot-smoking-linked-to-lower-body-weight/

http://healthland.time.com/2013/05/21/marijuana-the-next-diabetes-drug/

Study in question: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2011/08/24/aje.kwr200.full

Point 2. Insert double facepalm.jpg

There is no threat of a law suit against them over the apps. If someone breaks Apple's TOS that's on them, not Apple. Apple is one of the most valued companies in the world, good luck going up against their lawyers over someone else breaking the TOS Apple has.

Your silly anti reasons are just that, silly.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Only in Marijuana-Legal states? Why? Let's not pretend anything here, it's available pretty much anywhere in the world regardless of its legal status and a hell of a lot more people than you think smoke it on a regular basis. Time to accept people's lifestyle choices and just allow the apps Apple!

At least Safari still allows you to visit the sites and forums still.

----------

Pfft. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.