Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
U guys just hang too much on the phrase "planned obsolescence" and call it conspiracy.

That a slow user interface is a pain in the ass to use is hopefully our consensus. If Apple is developing the software and tests it on older devices but accepting the shortcomings and releases this, than its planned. Call it what ever u like. At least it's bad business practice.

I'm looking for a solution to stop forcing customers in slower iOS upgrades. I just showed up a way what's possible. If u now a better way please feel free to share. Just accepting and buying new phones isn't one.

Regarding jurisdiction. Of course every country has the right. Just for an example as the EU forced Microsoft to let customers choose the web browser instead of IE a few years ago...

That they have bigger problems with Brexit is sad
Since when did Apple force an update? Did they hit the confirm button for you, or automatically install it?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
In most places there are bylaws preventing similar situation. Asking once is ok, but asking multiple times is illegal. Example, you can ask someone for spare change once but asking more than once after the person said no, you can get arrested. Throw Tim in jail :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggressive_panhandling

Except when it comes to macs and iPhones you don’t own the software Apple does.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have to admit Apple has been aggressive with the pop-ups recently. Nagging you to update, back-up, turn on photo optimization, turn off airplane mode, etc. It is annoying. Reminiscent of Windows computers back in the day.
I don't recall Windows nagging that much. Mostly, pre-XP, I just got BSODs often. Notifications to update, etc, you can easily disable. You can actually prevent the system from checking for updates completely.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I have to admit Apple has been aggressive with the pop-ups recently. Nagging you to update, back-up, turn on photo optimization, turn off airplane mode, etc. It is annoying. Reminiscent of Windows computers back in the day.

Update? I always do them. Better to be secure
Backup? Still haven’t seen that pop up
Photo optimization? Didn’t know that existed haven’t seen it
Turn off airplane mode? Haven’t used airplane mode yet
Etc.? The only popups I see are authorizations for iCloud when I’m using my desktop which is once in a long while between

Sorry but if you don’t update and hit issues with security that’s your problem not Apple, if you didn’t read the prompt and hit the “wrong” button that’s your fault too. Seriously.

Reactions: Vermifuge

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
Update? I always do them. Better to be secure
Backup? Still haven’t seen that pop up
Photo optimization? Didn’t know that existed haven’t seen it
Turn off airplane mode? Haven’t used airplane mode yet
Etc.? The only popups I see are authorizations for iCloud when I’m using my desktop which is once in a long while between

Sorry but if you don’t update and hit issues with security that’s your problem not Apple, if you didn’t read the prompt and hit the “wrong” button that’s your fault too. Seriously.
I know it’s my choice, that’s the point. Apple wants me to use my phone how they want me to. If I choose not to they shouldn’t berate me with constant pop-ups and icon badges.

Reactions: Applejuiced

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
They’ve been fighting hard with nagging screens, and finally they managed to fool me and this time I pushed the accept button instead of the cancel one (I don’t know if they changed the left/right position of the buttons, but they fooled me).

Then, they didn’t ask for a confirmation. I got the button wrong and the iOS update started without asking for a confirmation. This turned my iPhone non-operational for about 20 minutes, which I consider an insult and a really dirty (really dirty, Apple) practice: Imagine I had to do an important call during those 20 minutes: Shouldn’t you ask me to confirm if I can afford to upgrade in this moment? What if I had to do a business call and I misinterpreted your dirty (excrement-dirty) nagging screen?

They robbed my iPhone. Now it’s iOS 11. Very valuable apps and games don’t work anymore (and they had important files on them)

Apple, what you did to me tonight falls in the phishing practices category: I’ve said NO dozens of times to the nagging screen. Finally you fooled me to click the button you wanted. My iPhone belongs to you. What do you want next. My car? My house? My bank account? What’s up with you Apple, why are you the dirtiest company on Earth today?

I was hoping for a 14inch MacBook or for the future modular Mac Pro, but I’m so upset that I think I’m not going to buy any other product from you anymore. This is not what I thought of you, Apple. Enough is enough.
Their, they’re, there... You will be fine.

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
I don't recall Windows nagging that much. Mostly, pre-XP, I just got BSODs often. Notifications to update, etc, you can easily disable. You can actually prevent the system from checking for updates completely.
Maybe an unfair criticism on my part but every time I started the computer there was something needing an update. Especially in comparison to my Mac. And this was a long time ago.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I know it’s my choice, that’s the point. Apple wants me to use my phone how they want me to. If I choose not to they shouldn’t berate me with constant pop-ups and icon badges.

Well said.
Kinda like itunes if I click the little check mark it will not ask me again to update the latest ios version for the iphone.
Something like this should be for the iphone,ipad,ipod touch etc...
If I dont want to install the latest update why must my device constantly download many GB's of the install file and constantly asking me to update.
I had to install the TVOS profile to my iphone 7 so I can avoid all this nagging and stay on ios 10 without the throttling "feature".
ios-9-update-popup.png

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
Well said.
Kinda like itunes if I click the little check mark it will not ask me again to update the latest ios version for the iphone.
Something like this should be for the iphone,ipad,ipod touch etc...
If I dont want to install the latest update why must my device constantly download many GB's of the install file and constantly asking me to update.
I had to install the TVOS profile to my iphone 7 so I can avoid all this nagging and stay on ios 10 without the throttling "feature".
View attachment 745441
Exactly. I know it’s just coincidence but it was also an iPhone 7 that the nagging seemed to hit an all time high.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Exactly. I know it’s just coincidence but it was an iPhone 7 that the nagging seemed to hit an all time high.

Yes, they are getting very pushy.
It shouldnt be like that to have to constantly click no not to update. And to constantly download the ios update after hundreds of times I went in and deleted the update and it keeps using up my storage taking up many GB's on my phone.
That's total nonsense and there should be an option to turn it off.
But I forgot, with Apple we dont have options or much say into anything with our devices.
Just whatever they decide to do with our phones and to provide us with new "Throttling features".
We should be forever grateful to them :D

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009

You obviously never suffered through vista.The main reason i left windows for Mac OS

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Funny to read this post again. I'm wondering if some of the pro Apple team now changed their mind.

Interestingly enough, you resurrected this thread. That said, I don't know that it's necessarily 'changed minds' versus altered perception for some on Apples methodology on how their practices. But regardless, they put Apple in a position now where they have to be more transparent from this point forward In battery health data. I do think Apples transparency should have been more so before this incident occurred, which may have avoided some of the backlash. It's also important remember the strongest opinions are going to come from those who are usually the minority, not the majority.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Well there's the point that by choosing not to apply security updates, you're not risking just yourself but in the worst cases your vulnerable device can be used in an attack against others.

Then again, Apple should really separate security updates from feature updates and allow security ones to be installed separately without having dependencies to the feature updates. This is even more important now that more and more people are avoiding updates thanks to the throttling issue.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Except when it comes to macs and iPhones you don’t own the software Apple does.
I don't get this argument. Just cos they own the software doesn't mean they can do anything.
They have to keep the device/software experience in the state as u bought it.

Where do u want to set the boarder between slowing it down to half speed like now or next year even more or just stop it like Samsung did with the note 7?

Bringing a pop up once a week to update or every day or every hour?

U r saying that's all fine just cos they own the software? That's ridiculous.

Reactions: iSilas

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

Windows 10 still “reminds” me to get Office 365 subscription every week even though I already have it.

It keeps asking me to update some email preferences on a Mail app I never use.

It litteraly has ads in my Start Menu.

As for updates, it doesn’t even ask me if I want to install them. It just installs them, giving me a short window to defer them for a few hours.

Once I left my PC in the middle of the work to go to the bathroom and when I returned, it shut everything down to install some update. I lost an hour of work AND had to wait for it to update.

So, I seriously don’t know what you’re talking about. The last time my Macs “nagged” me with anything was to kindly ask me if I want a tour, after I installed High Sierra.
[doublepost=1515241596][/doublepost]
Products must:
  • come with undisturbed possession, so no one has a right to take the goods away or prevent you from using them
  • meet any extra promises made about performance, condition and quality, such as life time guarantees and money back offers
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees

1. Isn’t Apple doing just the oposite of preventing you from using your phone by preventing shutdowns?
2. They never promised that the battery will be able to sustain the power needs of the device forever. Or that every new iOS will run the same as the previous one.

Last edited:

asiga

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Since when did Apple force an update? Did they hit the confirm button for you, or automatically install it?
When I chose Apple, decades ago, one of the main reasons is that it was user-friendly. It's not user-friendly anymore. It's for-Apple-benefit-friendly.

- Do you consider it friendly that you get asked the same question to update, again and again, even twice a week? (yes, twice a week). Man, even MS-DOS is light-years more user friendly that this pile of Apple-social-control nonsense that they call iOS.

- Do you consider it friendly that, even if you wanted to update and purposely click on Accept, you aren't warned that the update process can take 20 minutes and that you won't be able to use your phone during that period? As I said, the update not only trashed my iPhone, but even delayed a family phone call for 20 minutes. I cannot tolerate that (if it was a bug or a technical failure, I can understand --but it wasn't a fault, but Apple's policy, and I won't tolerate your policies anymore, Apple). Not anymore, Apple. Even in the most user unfriendly OS you can think of, you are asked a second time for a confirmation, when a serious system update is going to be triggered. Apple used to ask for it too, but not anymore: They don't want you to own your devices. They consider Apple devices are Apple's not yours.

- Do you consider it friendly that you are not given the choice to downgrade if you're not happy with the update?

Apple wants to be in control of my devices. They can, Apple is bigger than me... but my iOS devices will eventually die (and quite likely I'll stop using them sooner than they die), and, moreover, Apple won't get my money again (this year is the first Christmas that none of my money went to Apple).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You obviously never suffered through vista.The main reason i left windows for Mac OS
I did have Vista Ultimate (ugh, that was a resource hog, 7 was much better). It was a clean install on a custom-built PC. There were minimal notifications and it was easy to disable all of them.

Now if one buys an off-the-shelf system, yes, I can imagine how those might come with plenty of nagware preinstalled that would need cleaning up (there are free programs to do that).
[doublepost=1515248153][/doublepost]
Windows 10 still “reminds” me to get Office 365 subscription every week even though I already have it.

It keeps asking me to update some email preferences on a Mail app I never use.

It litteraly has ads in my Start Menu.

As for updates, it doesn’t even ask me if I want to install them. It just installs them, giving me a short window to defer them for a few hours.

Once I left my PC in the middle of the work to go to the bathroom and when I returned, it shut everything down to install some update. I lost an hour of work AND had to wait for it to update.

So, I seriously don’t know what you’re talking about. The last time my Macs “nagged” me with anything was to kindly ask me if I want a tour, after I installed High Sierra.
I'm still on Windows 7 Ultimate (clean install) so can't comment on Windows 10.

Last edited:

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
When I chose Apple, decades ago, one of the main reasons is that it was user-friendly. It's not user-friendly anymore. It's for-Apple-benefit-friendly.

- Do you consider it friendly that you get asked the same question to update, again and again, even twice a week? (yes, twice a week). Man, even MS-DOS is light-years more user friendly that this pile of Apple-social-control nonsense that they call iOS.

- Do you consider it friendly that, even if you wanted to update and purposely click on Accept, you aren't warned that the update process can take 20 minutes and that you won't be able to use your phone during that period? As I said, the update not only trashed my iPhone, but even delayed a family phone call for 20 minutes. I cannot tolerate that (if it was a bug or a technical failure, I can understand --but it wasn't a fault, but Apple's policy, and I won't tolerate your policies anymore, Apple). Not anymore, Apple. Even in the most user unfriendly OS you can think of, you are asked a second time for a confirmation, when a serious system update is going to be triggered. Apple used to ask for it too, but not anymore: They don't want you to own your devices. They consider Apple devices are Apple's not yours.

- Do you consider it friendly that you are not given the choice to downgrade if you're not happy with the update?

Apple wants to be in control of my devices. They can, Apple is bigger than me... but my iOS devices will eventually die (and quite likely I'll stop using them sooner than they die), and, moreover, Apple won't get my money again (this year is the first Christmas that none of my money went to Apple).
So where did Apple force the update onto your phone? I still don’t see it.

All of that is your opinion, however wrong it is. Not fact. But nowhere is Apple forcing anything...
[doublepost=1515252459][/doublepost]
Windows doesn’t nag. It auto updates.

I’ve been a windows user for years and, despite my IT knowledge and deeper windows config manipulation, nowhere can I find windows options to not auto download-and-update.

And OP, those forced updates happen to be much longer than 20 minutes. They’re actually forced, unlike your whines.

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Products must:
  • come with undisturbed possession, so no one has a right to take the goods away or prevent you from using them
  • meet any extra promises made about performance, condition and quality, such as life time guarantees and money back offers
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees

So, “undisturbed possession” speaks to the physical possession of the goods. Nothing more.

Second, Apple makes no “extra promises” about performance. Quite the contrary if you read their TOS. They do not warrant the experience, or make extra promises.

Care to clarify how either of these apply to this situation?
[doublepost=1515252865][/doublepost]
I don't get this argument. Just cos they own the software doesn't mean they can do anything.
They have to keep the device/software experience in the state as u bought it.

Where do u want to set the boarder between slowing it down to half speed like now or next year even more or just stop it like Samsung did with the note 7?

Bringing a pop up once a week to update or every day or every hour?

U r saying that's all fine just cos they own the software? That's ridiculous.

How’s it ridiculous? You may not like it, but if someone OWNS something, by definition, they have control over that thing. You agreed to this when you activated your phone with their OS. Go read your TOS.

Just because you don’t like how it’s being handled doesn’t mean you have a legal right to have it your way. You have the right to go buy something else. That’s it.

Last edited by a moderator:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Windows doesn’t nag. It auto updates.

I’ve been a windows user for years and, despite my IT knowledge and deeper windows config manipulation, nowhere can I find windows options to not auto download-and-update.

And OP, those forced updates happen to be much longer than 20 minutes. They’re actually forced, unlike your whines.
Perhaps that might be the case for Windows 10. I wouldn't know.

On older versions: Control Panel - Windows Update - Never check for updates. On I think Vista and 7, you might also need to go to Action Center to disable any nagging.

Granted, I run Professional, Business or Ultimate editions of Windows on my PCs. It's quite possible these might be options not available in the Standard or Home editions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.