Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On the latest episode of the Connected podcast on Relay FM, MacStories editor-in-chief Federico Viticci suggested that USB mouse support could eventually be coming to the iPad Pro as an accessibility feature.

ipad-pro-mouse.jpg

"What I heard is without adapters, you will be able to use any USB mouse on your iPad, but as an accessibility device," said Viticci. "The iPad Pro has a USB-C port, so just plug in a USB mouse and if you have physical impairments, if you have any other kinds of motor impairments, just use a USB mouse in accessibility mode."

It has long been possible to use a compatible adaptive accessory like a joystick or trackball with Apple's accessibility feature AssistiveTouch to control an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, but USB mouse support would seemingly eliminate the need for any specialized hardware or adapters.

Viticci cautions this is something he "heard months ago" and he isn't sure "if it'll happen," but as noted by iDownloadBlog, well-known developer Steve Troughton-Smith tweeted that "as far as I'm aware, that is indeed in the works."

If you missed last week's @_connectedfm, @viticci had a pretty interesting scoop that he'd been sitting on re mouse support coming to iPad as an accessibility feature. As far as I'm aware, that *is* indeed in the works. I feel like every pro user will turn that on, day one 😂 - Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith) April 22, 2019

As noted by Viticci, this wouldn't be the first time Apple enables a feature "under the catch-all umbrella of accessibility." Any user would presumably be able to toggle on USB mouse support in the Settings app, with Troughton-Smith adding that "I feel like every pro user will turn that on, day one."

In a follow-up tweet, Troughton-Smith speculated that iOS could perhaps have "a small circle or dot" for a cursor rather than a traditional pointer, but the exact implementation of mouse support if any remains to be seen.

No specific timeframe has been provided for USB mouse support on the iPad, but it could presumably be added as early as iOS 13, which is expected to be unveiled at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June. The software update should be publicly released in September alongside new iPhones.

Listen to Connected on Relay FM. Viticci's remarks about the potential for USB mouse support on the iPad begin at the 1:08:35 mark.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Add USB Mouse Support to iPad Pro as Accessibility Feature

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I almost wonder if the feature is put in under accessablilty section, if apple is testing to see if it will actually be a popular enough feature to move to the "mainstream" in a future IOS version.

The touch/pencil features already work great, unless you try to use the iPad in a laptop screen up position, then mouse support would be useful.

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
I wonder how will they support it.
One of a mouse features is not only pointing and clicking but also hovering the cursor over stuff and getting visual cues.
That doesn't make sense on iOS.
Some features stopped making sense in ios years ago, just think of the 3dtouch and long touch support combined with random array of devices which support them or not

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I've never wanted to plug a mouse into my iPad. I HAVE, however, wanted to plug USB storage into my iPad and iPhone.

I'd love to be able to plug in a thumbdrive and see it pop up in the Files app. I'm sure a lot of us feel the same way, and hope Apple finally adds this capability in iOS 13.

I would love a mouse (bluetooth, USB, I don't give a crap) on the iPad, so when I get an after hours call, I can just carry a small messenger bag and an iPad, instead of my damn laptop everywhere.

I ended up fixing the problem by getting a Surface, which is actually a real computer. I love MacOS and iOS, but some of this stuff is getting really tiresome from an actual productivity standpoint.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I picked up BT Keyboard at Five Below, (looks like a very inexpensive white Apple Keyboard, not rechargable, works on 2AA battery) - but this does work with my 2015 iPad Pro.

A BT mouse would be cool, heck maybe a Five Below wireless mouse would work --- I just dont know, never even thought about it to be honest. It would help when using "AstroPad" app that reads my iMac (programs like desktop Illustrator, along with the 1st Gen Pencil)

But a wired USB mouse to an iPad? Um..seems a little primitive in 2019?

**Edit. I see most of not all of these wireless BT mouse needs a BT dongle. So...that wont work on the older iPad Pro w/ lightning connector. Maybe it will with Lightning to female USB adapter. so...dongles, adapters galore sticking out of the port. Eh, forget it.

Reactions: wheatridge

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
It needs Bluetooth mouse and trackpad compatibility, not just USB-C. I have a perfectly good Magic Mouse that id like to use before buying something else. I also really need this on my iPad Pro 10.5. I hope it’s not specific to the newer models.

Reactions: femike

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
I gather we have external display with the newest iPad Pro using the USB-C?

So along with a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse / TrackPad, I can have and iPad + Monitor Dual Screen Setup and finally ditch my MacBook?

If that is the case it would be dream come true, many have been wishing for something like this for a long time. I could only wish they bump the price by a little and give me 8GB+ Memory for multitasking.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I almost wonder if the feature is put in under accessablilty section, if apple is testing to see if it will actually be a popular enough feature to move to the "mainstream" in a future IOS version.

The touch/pencil features already work great, unless you try to use the iPad in a laptop screen up position, then mouse support would be useful.

Once Apple started providing the external keyboard for iPads it's bizarre to not also provide mouse support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.