Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
it's gotten so much better especially with the latest Pro adding USB-C (all iPads should move USB-C)
How did usb-c connector change anything?
[doublepost=1556291623][/doublepost]
If it happens, then it's going to become a Surface. This "tablet" experience really is just a laptop with a touchscreen. I'm not saying this is bad or good. I'm just pointing out the irony if the tablet becomes that.
An ios surface may be the best hybrid device possible

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I'm not understanding your response? Anyway I get the gist, you dont think ipad can become a main computer for your uses.
My reponse was "Cut and Paste?" How can you have a productivity device with an os that essentially doesn't support cut and paste?
[doublepost=1556293190][/doublepost]
Universal compatibility with industry standard hardware devices.
Which gets you what? Unusable monitor mirroring? More charging options? Nothing burger until Apple allows
storage device pairing--which may happen

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
My reponse was "Cut and Paste?" How can you have a productivity device with an os that essentially doesn't support cut and paste?
[doublepost=1556293190][/doublepost]
Which gets you what? Unusable monitor mirroring? More charging options? Nothing burger until Apple allows
storage device pairing--which may happen

1. using term "nothingburger" doesn't make it so. it's a "conversation ender" that kills conversation due to it's closed minded nature. I recommend not using that term especially in a conversation like this.

And you're also not wrong. Apple has provided the hardware. Its now in their court to provide the software and remove restrictions on that hardware if they want to truly make that universal hardware meaningful.

ight now, the biggest problem with the IPad is not the hardware, but the software. The Hardware is there. Apple just STILL wont let you use it to it's full potential.

Reactions: sracer and ipponrg

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
1. using term "nothingburger" doesn't make it so. it's a "conversation ender" that kills conversation due to it's closed minded nature. I recommend not using that term especially in a conversation like this.
Are you triggered by "nothing burger"? Puh-lease. And you are essentially conceding my point by
acknowledging the usb-c connector adds nothing until apple adds software support. I hope the
storage support is better than the monitor support. If it is, i'll concede the point.

Oh, and nothing on cut and paste? anyone?

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Are you triggered by "nothing burger"? Puh-lease. And you are essentially conceding my point by
acknowledging the usb-c connector adds nothing until apple adds software support. I hope the
storage support is better than the monitor support. If it is, i'll concede the point.

Oh, and nothing on cut and paste? anyone?

we're not really arguing though. We're agreeing to the same thing

The hardware is only 1/2 the effort. It has to happen alongside the software support for that hardware. Apple did the Hardware (which is good) but seemingly has decided that they don't wish to allow the software support alongside it. Until they do, they've only done a half measure.

Reactions: ipponrg and Smici

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
‍♂️ I rather like it. I haven't used a different brand on a mac for years. They are fragile. I dropped one, and bent the thin aluminum at the edge, and couldn't get it to work right after straightening it. OUCH!
Yeah, I was overreacting a bit. They're alright. I find them too small to use comfortably. Most people I know opt for other brands.

Marco Klobas

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2017
Italy
I'd like to see Apple loosen up in the sense that Mac designers should be free to (in fact, pushed to) take the best parts of the iPad experience and iPad designers should similarly be free to (pushed to) take the best parts of the Mac. If complete convergence happens, it will happen organically. If it doesn't, it will be clear why, and that too will inform decisions about subsequent product generations.

Interesting.

We'll see how Apple will maintain these two segments separate yet complementary together.

The rumor about using the iPad as a second monitor/graphic tablet for a Mac is an example. Partially I already use it in this way through Luna Display. A native solution will be welcome.

Today a tablet is mainly a content consumption device. Some users are starting to use it as a content creation device.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I'd like to see Apple loosen up in the sense that Mac designers should be free to (in fact, pushed to) take the best parts of the iPad experience and iPad designers should similarly be free to (pushed to) take the best parts of the Mac. If complete convergence happens, it will happen organically. If it doesn't, it will be clear why, and that too will inform decisions about subsequent product generations.

The perspective of management is going to determine the direction this goes. Microsoft took the Windows Phone idea and shoved it on the desktop wholesale, and it pissed a lot of people off. Looking at the OS between a tablet, and a 'computer', there are so many similarities. They end with access to the storage, meaning the desk computer has the finder, and the user can put files on it, and find files in it, and organize them, where as the tablet is far more tightly controlled, there is no 'finder' per say, and storing files in a tablet is a lot more nebulous. The file is there 'somewhere', but the user is kept from accessing it in the way the 'full' OS allows. But looking at Apple's penchant for full control over users and what they can do, almost a fixation, a drive, moving desk computers to a locked down striped down OS makes sense. It essentially invalidates all the desk computers and dumbs down the whole model line. I personally do not want a dumbed down desk machine. Maybe kiddies that were born after I graduated college want that level of control, and don't mind not thinking too. *sigh* MOTDT was a concept to bring mobile computer modularity to the desktop, NOT bringing the vast limitations of a tablet based OS.

TD540

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2017
Maybe been asked before but:

Only mouse-support for iPad Pro ?

(Not gonna read the whole 11-pages long thread... Please let me optionally load the whole thread on 1 page so I can search, please)

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Maybe been asked before but:

Only mouse-support for iPad Pro ?

(Not gonna read the whole 11-pages long thread... Please let me optionally load the whole thread on 1 page so I can search, please)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-30 at 5.16.19 pm.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-30 at 5.16.19 pm.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: TD540

TD540

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2017
Searching for "iPad Pro" and "only" but getting terrible search results...

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Can anyone explain to me how it is possible for Samsung to release the Galaxy S5e with a 10.5" sAMOLED curved corners display and charge half the amount of what Apple charges for its 11" LiquidRetina Display. I understand that Samsung makes AMOLED, however the price. The quad stereo output seems to be comparable. One difference I see is no stylus support on the S5e, however that may be to differentiate it from the S4 that does have support it.

I find it shocking that Apple has yet to introduce a "Pro" iPad with an AMOLED display at a competitive price.

I hope iOS 13 gives a lot of love and a Hugh facelift for iPad and completely opens up USB-C without any restrictions. How can iPad Pro be called a laptop replacement when one cannot backup an iPhone, another iPad, multi-user account support, no Xcode or proper web design and coding software, etc.

Why is Apple so slow at just leapfrogging the iPad iOS to a full usable OS? If you consider using Office apps the standard for a computer, then guess what I can do this on any phone. Not sure what definition of computer Apple is using, but it is lame.

iPad Pro, it is a computer (then stop limiting it already and make up your mind).
[doublepost=1557206598][/doublepost]
Another news article that mentions Magic Mouse and trackpad support. I really hope all of this turns out to be true. :)

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/app...uld-bring-mouse-support-to-the-ipad-1.4396201

If this is fully supported and not some half-arsed initial attempt, the news deserves a standing ovation. Similarly to when copy & paste were announced.

slothinker

Contributor
Nov 28, 2012
One obvious improvement for the Mac Mouse which would surely aid folks with accessibility issues — and everyone — would be improving the Apple mouse be rechargeable (or stay-chargeable) via an Qi-supporting mousepad.

On the latest episode of the Connected podcast on Relay FM, MacStories editor-in-chief Federico Viticci suggested that USB mouse support could eventually be coming to the iPad Pro as an accessibility feature.

ipad-pro-mouse.jpg

"What I heard is without adapters, you will be able to use any USB mouse on your iPad, but as an accessibility device," said Viticci. "The iPad Pro has a USB-C port, so just plug in a USB mouse and if you have physical impairments, if you have any other kinds of motor impairments, just use a USB mouse in accessibility mode."

It has long been possible to use a compatible adaptive accessory like a joystick or trackball with Apple's accessibility feature AssistiveTouch to control an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, but USB mouse support would seemingly eliminate the need for any specialized hardware or adapters.

Viticci cautions this is something he "heard months ago" and he isn't sure "if it'll happen," but as noted by iDownloadBlog, well-known developer Steve Troughton-Smith tweeted that "as far as I'm aware, that is indeed in the works."

As noted by Viticci, this wouldn't be the first time Apple enables a feature "under the catch-all umbrella of accessibility." Any user would presumably be able to toggle on USB mouse support in the Settings app, with Troughton-Smith adding that "I feel like every pro user will turn that on, day one."

In a follow-up tweet, Troughton-Smith speculated that iOS could perhaps have "a small circle or dot" for a cursor rather than a traditional pointer, but the exact implementation of mouse support if any remains to be seen.

No specific timeframe has been provided for USB mouse support on the iPad, but it could presumably be added as early as iOS 13, which is expected to be unveiled at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June. The software update should be publicly released in September alongside new iPhones.

Listen to Connected on Relay FM. Viticci's remarks about the potential for USB mouse support on the iPad begin at the 1:08:35 mark.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Add USB Mouse Support to iPad Pro as Accessibility Feature

On the latest episode of the Connected podcast on Relay FM, MacStories editor-in-chief Federico Viticci suggested that USB mouse support could eventually be coming to the iPad Pro as an accessibility feature.

ipad-pro-mouse.jpg

"What I heard is without adapters, you will be able to use any USB mouse on your iPad, but as an accessibility device," said Viticci. "The iPad Pro has a USB-C port, so just plug in a USB mouse and if you have physical impairments, if you have any other kinds of motor impairments, just use a USB mouse in accessibility mode."

It has long been possible to use a compatible adaptive accessory like a joystick or trackball with Apple's accessibility feature AssistiveTouch to control an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, but USB mouse support would seemingly eliminate the need for any specialized hardware or adapters.

Viticci cautions this is something he "heard months ago" and he isn't sure "if it'll happen," but as noted by iDownloadBlog, well-known developer Steve Troughton-Smith tweeted that "as far as I'm aware, that is indeed in the works."

As noted by Viticci, this wouldn't be the first time Apple enables a feature "under the catch-all umbrella of accessibility." Any user would presumably be able to toggle on USB mouse support in the Settings app, with Troughton-Smith adding that "I feel like every pro user will turn that on, day one."

In a follow-up tweet, Troughton-Smith speculated that iOS could perhaps have "a small circle or dot" for a cursor rather than a traditional pointer, but the exact implementation of mouse support if any remains to be seen.

No specific timeframe has been provided for USB mouse support on the iPad, but it could presumably be added as early as iOS 13, which is expected to be unveiled at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June. The software update should be publicly released in September alongside new iPhones.

Listen to Connected on Relay FM. Viticci's remarks about the potential for USB mouse support on the iPad begin at the 1:08:35 mark.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Add USB Mouse Support to iPad Pro as Accessibility Feature

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
USB mouse support would be a little odd... why no bluetooth mouse support in this day and age?
You could always use the mice that have their own proprietary USB transmitter, then again, that's USB type A and not USB C.
[doublepost=1558631850][/doublepost]
If Apple wants the iPad to be a replacement for a computer, then mouse support is a must, imo. Not sure why it is just wired USB mouse and not wireless.

Also, why is this an accessibility issue, and not a general use issue?

Exactly, also support for external data devices that you can access from the Files app as well as third party apps (and not have to use a wifi hard drive). Those have been my biggest hurdles using my pro daily, mouse support and easier storage options. I mean, the OS isn't without fault but these things hold it back more so.

Reactions: Juicy Box

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I've never wanted to plug a mouse into my iPad. I HAVE, however, wanted to plug USB storage into my iPad and iPhone.

I'd love to be able to plug in a thumbdrive and see it pop up in the Files app. I'm sure a lot of us feel the same way, and hope Apple finally adds this capability in iOS 13.
That would canabilize iCloud storage services.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I picked up BT Keyboard at Five Below, (looks like a very inexpensive white Apple Keyboard, not rechargable, works on 2AA battery) - but this does work with my 2015 iPad Pro.

A BT mouse would be cool, heck maybe a Five Below wireless mouse would work --- I just dont know, never even thought about it to be honest. It would help when using "AstroPad" app that reads my iMac (programs like desktop Illustrator, along with the 1st Gen Pencil)

But a wired USB mouse to an iPad? Um..seems a little primitive in 2019?

**Edit. I see most of not all of these wireless BT mouse needs a BT dongle. So...that wont work on the older iPad Pro w/ lightning connector. Maybe it will with Lightning to female USB adapter. so...dongles, adapters galore sticking out of the port. Eh, forget it.
The wireless mice you see with a dongle, aren't Bluetooth,they are a priority 3rd party wireless protocol, and don't need Bluetooth pairing. So if you lose the dongle, you have to buy the whole thing again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.