Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
If not they can always be fools and send more money to china that has already destroyed the US economy.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
YouTube: video

This video is old but might get everybody up to speed on GTAT and Sapphire Glass vs the Gorilla

Thanks for this, that is quite interesting. Something that I would be interested in is the amount of flex that a sapphire screen could endure compared with a gorilla glass screen. iPhones don't have a lot of flex, but I would be concerned whether a sapphire screen would shatter a bit more quickly than a gorilla glass screen when dropped.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
My 2-1/2 YO iPhone 4S made out of glass has no scratches at all.

I guess Apple found a new gimmick to make future iPhones even more expensive.

----------

YouTube: video

This video is old but might get everybody up to speed on GTAT and Sapphire Glass vs the Gorilla

That was no regular rock. Harder than silica but softer than sapphire.
Just make sure not to keep it in your pocket next to the phone.
BTW, sapphire shatters just as well.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Sapphire Glass for 2014

And Ruby Glass for 2015! Super green!

Bonus points for those who get it instead of pointing out that Ruby isn't green. :rolleyes:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This article mentions Apple having more than enough sapphire for both iPhone models and the iWatch...

30" Sapphire Retina Thunderbolt Display: confirmed.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
This article mentions Apple having more than enough sapphire for both iPhone models and the iWatch...

30" Sapphire Retina Thunderbolt Display: confirmed.

Because it's very important for a 30'' Thunderbolt Display to be scratch resistant :p e.g. keys in your pocket, etc.

madanvivek

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2014
Can't wait

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,817

kdarling

macrumors P6
Thats an almost unimaginable amount of sapphire. Pretty amazing they can mass produce them at a low enough price.

Yep. Reportedly, GTAT's mass production has dropped the cost from about $30 per phone to $10 per phone, and $5 should be possible with future refinements. The latter value is within spitting distance of the current $3 cost of Gorilla Glass.

This is also good news for the rest of the world's sapphire producers, whose combined output had outgrown sales over the past few years.

If sapphire becomes a must-have screen, then those factories will have new customers and production will no doubt ramp up all over, especially in East Asia. (In 2013, 75% of sapphire production was in China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan.)

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I much prefer the 3.5" to 4" iPhone sizes, I'm really not at all interested in a large phone, but if Tim Cook does the dick move of only putting the best performance with the larger screen size I may have to reevaluate.

Give sapphire crystal screens to ALL iPhones! Also, make sure there's (at least) a 64 gb storage option on the smaller screen phones.

Just because this report SAYS there is enough for both models, doesn't really mean there is. Maybe there's only enough for the model they think won't sale as well.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
So the question is...................

Generally there is always a balance between hardness and toughness with most materials.
You have something soft that's touch as hell (rubber ball) can distort and get crushed and always bounces back, but is really soft, and something like glass that's hard but very brittle.

So sapphire is really really hard, second only to diamond. Which is great. :)

How tough is it?

Will is still fracture and shatter if it's dropped on a corner, or hit by something with a sharp point?

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
I much prefer the 3.5" to 4" iPhone sizes, I'm really not at all interested in a large phone, but if Tim Cook does the dick move of only putting the best performance with the larger screen size I may have to reevaluate.

Give sapphire crystal screens to ALL iPhones! Also, make sure there's (at least) a 64 gb storage option on the smaller screen phones.

then....get iPhone 4s then...unless u have one.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it? Way to miss the entire point of the post.
Congratulations.

I have a 5S and a 5C now, and had a 4S before that. I guess you missed the point about the upgraded internals and the sapphire crystal display.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

Lol the 4S is only sold in 8GB and multiple generations behind. Quite a few of us (myself included) don't want to go larger than 3.5 or 4 inches, and we still want to buy the high end model in 4 inches, instead of being shoehorned into a lower specced model, or a stupidly big (in my opinion) display.

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
TO TRANSLATE:

apple did not say a thing.
another so called "analyst" is speculating should be the title!
MACRUMORS starting to follow "awesome" fabricated titles as on tom's hardware. :mad:

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Lol the 4S is only sold in 8GB and multiple generations behind. Quite a few of us (myself included) don't want to go larger than 3.5 or 4 inches, and we still want to buy the high end model in 4 inches, instead of being shoehorned into a lower specced model, or a stupidly big (in my opinion) display.

Oh, thanks I am not the only one. There is a reason why Apple made the iPad. iPhone is meant to be portable, small and best device for running basic apps, this is why it has a small display. iPad is meant to be larger and best device for media (Movies, videos, browsing internet etc.) So a Phablet (4.7'' or 5.5'' it doesn't matter) is too big for portability, ease to use but too small for running media. So, a phablet is a both bad phone and bad tablet. But we won't see phones going smaller, companies now using it as a marketing gimmick :(

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Not really sure there is that much advantage to Sapphire over gorilla glass 3. Apples marketing lingo will sell us all as usual though.

damant

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2010
Great!
Does this mean apple will have enough iPhone 6 to meet the demand on the release day ?

Not ;-)
...When was the last time apple has enough to sell ;-(

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it? Way to miss the entire point of the post.
Congratulations.

I have a 5S and a 5C now, and had a 4S before that. I guess you missed the point about the upgraded internals and the sapphire crystal display.

And understanding the business of making money isn't your strong suit, is it? :rolleyes::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.