Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
If that's your take why bother weighing in? If you don't care go on about your business. I'm having a discussion regarding relevant points about the new iPhone. You had nothing to add to my post, beyond some snarky BS.

and there you go AGAIN...thx you don't have any say in any relevant..

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
My gut feel is that this is probably more about marketing spin and "thin" than anything else. But that's just gut guess. Maybe there's something "magical" in this particular transparent rectangle that can't be matched by a cheaper (Gorilla) glass rectangle?

If so, Apple is making a very large investment in the pursuit of marketing and thinness. Time will tell.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
TO TRANSLATE:

apple did not say a thing.
another so called "analyst" is speculating should be the title!
MACRUMORS starting to follow "awesome" fabricated titles as on tom's hardware. :mad:

If Apple said it, then it wouldn't be a rumor, and this is MacRUMORS.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
enough sapphire eh ...

They making this stuff by the dozen....... i wonder.

Maybe Apple has learned for previous experience about being in "short supply" more often than not and/or delays, so this time round they don't wanna take any chances.

However, its also true, no matter how much you make, we just want more :)

So, maybe this may not help ... I dunno, or it could be just too much if its not THAT popular.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Rumor has it Apple will be offering two options. One phablet sized, one not. So you should be okay either way.

The smaller one is still a size increase. And I think releasing the phablet sized one is a mistake. I see your point totally. But in my mind if Apple release an iPhablet (apart from the already released Mini) Apple has to sell it hard. What can Apple bring to the jack of all trades and master of nothing phablet phone? At the moment I don't see it because nothing is there. Apple needs to tell us what magic they have instore for this supposed iPhablet.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Have you checked out Windows mobile? Some of my friends say it's very underrated and is quite good.

MS is the original evil. Google is the new evil. Apple is a bunch of douchewads. I wish Nokia hadn't died. I'm hoping for a BB miracle, or Jolla or Firefox or something.

I think maybe the only way out of this mess might be for some hardware manufacturer to start making open hardware spec phones that we can flash multiple OSes onto.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
You're saying all these stories that Sapphire Crystal glass for the iPhone will increase the cost by $20 or so are fake? And if production is dirt cheap, why is Apple spending many hundred million dollars to increase production?

I did not say the phone will not increase in cost.

The post I quoted claimed Apple would be first to market with products containing saphire screens. He is wrong on both counts. He also spouted about production of the saphire being expensive. Which it isn't.

I have no doubt the phone will increase in cost. And all the little people who want the latest just to look cool with the sad little facebook friends will run into the shops in one big flock and buy it.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Have you checked out Windows mobile? Some of my friends say it's very underrated and is quite good.

No it isn't. I had to use it for a few months when my employer transitioned from Blackberry to MS. It's a leap ahead from BB, but it is a definite step back from Android and iOS.

Build quality of the Nokia is great though, but the OS still sucks after having been a few years on the market.

----------

He also spouted about production of the saphire being expensive. Which it isn't.

I think you need to differentiate here between fixed and variable costs. I can see the variable cost of producing sapphire is very low, but the fixed costs being extremely high. Does your source indicate what the basis is for its calculation?

----------

Rumor has it Apple will be offering two options. One phablet sized, one not. So you should be okay either way.

That's incorrect. There are rumors for new 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones, but there has been NO rumor that the current size will be discontinued.

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
That's one hell of a good news (if it really turns out to be true). But without corroboration from elsewhere, it's hard to accept amidst a plethora of reports stating the opposite.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Believe it or not, not everybody gets an iPhone so more people will like them.

I understand. But see 10,000 "Shall I buy <Apple product> or <Apple product with slight cosmetic variation>" threads, with 20 responses that basically say "you should get what's right for your own needs" or "'I' chose <specific Apple product> (so it is the one best choice for everyone else)"

Then see 10,000 posts whining for changes to the design of the shell of an <Apple product> so that it's clear that "I" have the latest one as soon as I buy it. Don't keep the same basic design- even if it is great- because it's important that strangers can tell that "I've" purchased the latest & greatest.

Then see 10,000 posts griping about size changes of iPhones because of how "'I' will look holding that phablet up to my ear."

And so on.

My point about Sapphire glass is that it is an invisible benefit for that crowd. It's much like a guts upgrade for a 's' model year while leaving the outer (visible) case the same. That crowd so worried about what others- even strangers- think won't get anything out of Sapphire unless it brings some other, not-yet-obvious benefit that glass could not match.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
If sapphire glass is truly as durable as it appears I'd like to see the glass-back iPhone 4 series implementation option return in future versions. Aesthetically I like it better than the metal-back case.

Hmmm ... a stunning, almost excessive amount of sapphire glass is being prepared to be produced ... a glass back would solve all radio transparency problems ... my 8-ball says you are onto something ... and in spite of all the ugly mockups with the weird seperators, maybe the iPhone 6 will instead actually look like this:

iphone-6-cw.jpg

iphone-6-cb.jpg

These are renders, obviously, but based on leaked schematics. Super thin, absolutely unique, basically unscratchable. Shut up and take my money, indeed.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Thinner won't matter if battery life isn't great. Although it seems that there is a contingency here that doesn't care and just wants thin thin thin

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The smaller one is still a size increase. And I think releasing the phablet sized one is a mistake. I see your point totally. But in my mind if Apple release an iPhablet (apart from the already released Mini) Apple has to sell it hard. What can Apple bring to the jack of all trades and master of nothing phablet phone? At the moment I don't see it because nothing is there. Apple needs to tell us what magic they have instore for this supposed iPhablet.

I have to disagree with you on the 5.5" phone being a mistake. I have a GS3 and have been seriously considering a Note for my next upgrade. I've played around with it and I gotta say the screen real estate is pretty darn sweet. If Apple does the larger 5.5" phone then they will be in the running for my next phone. I really don't understand your jack of all trades master of none comment. It doesn't make sense. What would it not master? Skinny jeans? If you consider the current iPhone great, then increasing the size to 5.5 wouldn't make it suddenly "just good". It would still be able to do all of the things the current iPhone can do. I'm not sure if you're in the "just get a Mini if you want something that big" crowd. I hope not because that logic fails on so many levels. A 5.5" phone is worlds away from an 8" tablet. Not even in the same universe. Heck, it's not even close to my Nexus 7. If Apple keeps the current size and adds the other two, it's a win/win/win for everybody. I don't see the issue.

peterdevries;19239758 That's incorrect. There are rumors for new 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones said:
NO rumor that the current size will be discontinued.[/B]

You're missing context. My comment was never about the 4" phone or whether or not it would be discontinued. My comment was about the8thark's classification of the 4.7" & 5.5" phones as phablets. Only one of those fit that descriptor.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Aah, sorry. Is there a universal definition of what is a phablet?

I have no idea, but imo to call anything less than 5" a phablet is sort of disingenuous. I think once you hit the 5.5" range you can honestly say that's phablet territory. I've been test driving a few and they are big, no doubt. I don't think I could do anything larger.

My company has a contract with Sprint :)mad:) and they recently came out to demo their offerings. Their rep brought about 10 different phones ranging from 4" all the way up to 6.3". Of course we asked if he knew if Apple was bringing out larger phones. He laughed and said he really needed to keep his job. In our group the interest seemed centered on the 4.5-5.5" size devices. Our house is about 48/49/.8/.2 (iPhone/Android/Windows/Blackberry holdouts). Funny thing, all of the iPhone people were stoked about the possibility of the 4.7" or 5.5". All except the 1 guy who is still rocking a 4S.
All, anecdotal, apropos of nothing.

Last edited:

cfountain72

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Tampa, FL
Still curious...

I have seen some references stating that Gorilla Glass is superior to sapphire, especially with its ability to slightly 'flex' upon impact (while sapphire is more brittle). On the flip side, it seems like a monumental waste of money for Apple to make this move unless they truly viewed sapphire as either a superior material or a less expensive one. Do we have any objective testing showing how these two compare?

Thanks,
Chris

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
That Apple took this on themselves in AZ, is the interesting part. I think this was done for secrecy more than anything else. To better keep tabs on it, like the A-series chips in Texas. Everything from China seems to get leaked.

I think something very surprising is headed our way beyond just a sapphire screen cover.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I have to agree.

Yes of course, a screen that scratches less easy is of course nice. But it's not exactly OMG I MUST HAVE ONE type of changes.

There were/are fundamental issues I don't like about the iPhone/iOS and making the screen a little harder won't alter any of those.

Like a car you hate the way the door open and the gearbox, but they have found a way to make the paintwork a little more shiny.

Yes, these things are nice, but there are many other areas to address (for me anyway)

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
But this is not true.
They do not make the best product they can.

Define "Best"

They make the product THEY want to.

If it was "The Best" Then people around the world would not be spending the same, or more money on other brands, why would they?

The easiest and most simple example is........

Do Apple fit "The Best" Home Desktop Computer Graphics Cards in their "Best" Home Desktop Computers?

No. We know they don't, and they never have done.

That only shows that you are completely clueless about what Jobs had in mind by saying that. You understand it literarily which not what he meant to say.

----------

Hmmm ... a stunning, almost excessive amount of sapphire glass is being prepared to be produced ... a glass back would solve all radio transparency problems ... my 8-ball says you are onto something ... and in spite of all the ugly mockups with the weird seperators, maybe the iPhone 6 will instead actually look like this:

These are renders, obviously, but based on leaked schematics. Super thin, absolutely unique, basically unscratchable. Shut up and take my money, indeed.

These renders are gorgeous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.