Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
i hope it address the bug where the finder sees 2 CD-Rs after i burn an audio CD in iTunes...

I've burned about 15 CD-R's and I've never had this issue. The only issue I had was bad CD-R disc.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
The only issue I've had with CD-R on my PowerBook has been with Memorex media, when I put one in my PowerBook sounded like it was going to vomit with all the nasty grinding and sputtering sounds it made.

From Win to Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2001
Montreal, Canada
man...

they're really trying to get this one right. Let's hope it doesn't screw up too much stuff that works right now.
But at 40-60 MBs, it's unlikely that it's that perfect.
But it's Apple, and they (usually) learn from their mistakes, so here's to hoping !:D

e2chris

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Merry Christmas from Apple...a 40-60 meg download for all those joyous 56k'ers out there. ;)

I feel for the people out there stuck with 56k. But I think the majority of people who are actually waiting for this update have broadband/DSL. You know what I mean.... I was over a girlfriends house the other night and she was still on 10.2 and didnt know **** about updates. Again... a 56gay(k) user.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I hope we see the update by the end of the week. I want my iPod to be updated with more songs!! arg I want my scanner to work!

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Wow. A lot of seeds coming out. It seems that Apple doesn't want anymore bad press about half-assed updates.

There was a fascinating article somewhere--could it have been Spymac? Well don't hold that against it. Anyway, the article suggested that 10.3.1 was largely an empty update meant to get more people to buy Panther, because some people like to wait to buy a new OS until it's been updated, thus ensuring that it will be more stable on their computers. The article's argument was that 10.3.1 wasn't much different from 10.3.0 and that 10.3.2 would be the true initial update that would make Panther significantly more stable.

Anyway, my point is that the long delay seems to indicate this is true. I am looking forward to 10.3.2 but I hope Apple maintains its patient, get-it-right attitude before releasing it.

McToast

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2003
The bug I want them to fix is the double listing/icons (and one icon will be wrong anyway) in the "recent documents" menu item and the double listing/icons in the "recent places" pull down menu in the save dialog box.

OH YEAH, and the QPS FireWire CD-RW problem (BIG ONE).

VisualAdvocate

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2003
Oh I really hope this fixes the Nvidia Geforce problem on Sawtooth machines. I'm currently running the 7D23 build with no real results. The OS will now get past the boot screen but when it does Quartz Extreme is not activated. There is no opengl and some new but serious scrolling issues. Still forced to only being able to use 256mbs of RAM. I await good news.

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
I don't think Apple was trying to deceive people into buying Panther. They had some serious issues out there that they were getting nasty press over. They had to fix them quick before Panther way labeled a lemon. What they did was needed and appropriate and prevented more headaches amongst their users.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Actually, FileVault was modified, if only slightly in 10.3.1.

Everyone just needs to relax -- 10.3.2 will come when Apple is ready to release it. Some people want it now, some people want it perfect, neither will get their wish, but it will make substantial fixes for the majority of users.

10.3.1 was not a conspiracy update - it was just an initial fix designed to address the most serious problems encountered by the public, most of which involved data loss.

If you're upset about your nVIDIA or ATI drivers, even for OEM cards, write to Apple, sure, but also hound nVIDIA and ATI.

As for the release date - it seems, according to the reports on this site, that the builds are tightening up, and coming closer and closer together, timewise. Infer what you will.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by york2600
I don't think Apple was trying to deceive people into buying Panther. They had some serious issues out there that they were getting nasty press over.

It does beg the question if Panther was prematurely released. Sorry but all the complaining I’ve read and heard sounds like the Windows XP launch. Personally I think Panther should have been officially released\launched in January at MWFS with vouchers for Panther handed out for new hardware purchases in October. There’s too much funkyness with Panther. And don’t tell me bugs are natural in any OS. The seriousness of some of these flaws that can lead to data loss is down right pathetic.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Fortunately I didn't experience any of these problems, so as far as I could tell, Panther was a pretty solid release for me. The only annoyance was the temporary problem where a few 3rd party apps were not compatible yet but that took all of a few days for updates to be released. I also had a networking/DHCP issue, but after complaining to the school's IT department, I realized it was more their problem than Panther. It just depends on the hardware/software configurations each person has.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Can't you turn that one through the Finder preferences in the application drop down menu? I know it works for the iDisk, which is essentially a mounted network folder.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Can't you turn that one through the Finder preferences in the application drop down menu? I know it works for the iDisk, which is essentially a mounted network folder.
there is an option to show "connected servers," but it doesn't seem to work for folders you connect to on the network.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
This is kind of off topic, but I was wondering if someone could help me out on something...Anyone know how to completely uninstall OS 9 from my system? I don't need it anymore, never really did since OS X. And also, when I get rid of OS 9, will Classic still work? Any help would be great. Feel free to just e-mail me with the info if you want.... spencecb@muohio.edu

Thanks in advance!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Just delete your OS 9 folder, but be aware, Classic is OS 9, so deleting it will mean no more Classic.

Let me rephrase that:
Just delete your OS 9 folder, but be happy, Classic is OS 9, so deleting it will mean no more Classic :D

Seriously:
It could be possible that a folder named "Applications (Mac OS 9)" and "Documents" are placed right on the hard drive, top-level.
Check them out to see if there are any classic apps and / or documents you have made, them delete them aswell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.