Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
no it's not . that's when the Keynote on September 9th is going to be, 10AM PST . the invitations will go out Tuesday September 2nd at 9AM PST or 9:30 PST .

it happens every single year .

please tell me what time this article was posted .

http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/03/apple-announces-its-september-10-iphone-media-event/

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/04/apple-announces-september-12th-event-its-almost-here/

Both of those were actually posted at 8:00 AM PST... because California uses PDT in September. It appears that the first article is wrong in saying that the event was at 10:00 PST (unless the US changed when DST ends again).

Last edited:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Any one else notice in the build 5, the double tap on camera icon on lock screen doesn't turn off the flashlight off anymore? wtf? bug or planned?

Woah! I didn't know this!
Just tried it on a device with iOS 7.

Hopefully it stays in iOS 8 because it's not working for me either. I always thought it was a pain to have to swipe back up to turn the light off.

You don't have to double tap, one tap works just as well.

It being this way was likely unintentional. The camera would be unusable if the flashlight was on while trying to take a picture (e.g., can't use flash, adds odd glare/reflections especially particularly with some phone cases). Notice that if you try to enable the flashlight before opening Camera app it will turn off, and you cannot turn on the flashlight if the app is running in the foreground (it is grayed out).

If they disabled this "feature", it was probably because Apple have noticed people accidentally turning the flashlight off without knowing why (i.e., hitting the camera button with their thumb while holding it).

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Any one else notice in the build 5, the double tap on camera icon on lock screen doesn't turn off the flashlight off anymore? wtf? bug or planned?

Learned something new today! Thanks, and nope, didn't know that at all. I hope this remains in iOS 8. I'm sure it will, though, because taking a picture with the flashlight on would definitely make the picture quality different.

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
This is so ****kng fishy I've never experienced this in my apple beta testing career and that is all I can say. They stumped me again :apple: :cool: :D ****ing geniuses.

kaiseryeahhh

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
Spain
Apple years to a very good quality control in their operating systems.
Now let get ios 7.0 for ipad that was fatal (especially in 64-bit) and now the iOS 5 beta 8 is full of bugs on ipad too, and take the beta 6 only for partners ...
I foresee another disaster like iOS 7 that will not be corrected until iOS 8.1
Apple, I do not recognize.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Last year, that release was leaked or not?
AFAIK, it was not. After that blog that I cited post ran, we got the GM when it said we would.

I'm not too worked up about it, regardless. I wipe my devices before installing the GM. I'd rather have the carriers beat up the firmwares and make their decisions before the GM comes out - if last year's schedule holds suit this year we'll have a new FW in hand in a few days anyway. :cool:

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Yosemite actually feels more stable to me than iOS 8. Especially with the last update. Yosemite is still filled with bugs and glitches but so is iOS 8.

The only major bug for me has been with receiving calls from Handoff. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't work, no rhyme or reason, it just fails to forward the calls.

iphone5s2013

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2013
AFAIK, it was not. After that blog that I cited post ran, we got the GM when it said we would.

I'm not too worked up about it, regardless. I wipe my devices before installing the GM. I'd rather have the carriers beat up the firmwares and make their decisions before the GM comes out - if last year's schedule holds suit this year we'll have a new FW in hand in a few days anyway. :cool:

Thanks campyguy,

I am on iOS beta 5, can it update to GM/release over OTA ?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Thanks campyguy,

I am on iOS beta 5, can it update to GM/release over OTA ?

Agreed with C DM. Apple includes specific text in their final accompanying documentation which includes not installing the GM over a beta FW. Which IMO is why there's no OTA over a beta installation. I tried once - iOS 6, I think, and it didn't go well. A DFW and clean install followed - time wasted, lesson learned.

iphone5s2013

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2013
Agreed with C DM.
A DFW and clean install followed - time wasted, lesson learned.

Cool :cool:

Could you simple detail them in clean way (step by step guide)? (I have Notes, Contacts be configured iCloud - it's synced. I am not sure about some apps installed from Apple store).

Thanks.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Cool :cool:

Could you simple detail them in clean way (step by step guide)? (I have Notes, Contacts be configured iCloud - it's synced. I am not sure about some apps installed from Apple store).

Thanks.
It's really simple for me. I started with an iOS 7 device, and made a backup. On the day of the GM being announced, I DL the FW from Apple Developer Portal and install it. I generally will then set up that iOS device as a New Device and start completely fresh.

I've at least one BT keyboard handy, such as my Logitech K811, and I'll pair it with the newly-restored iPhone - then set up my iOS device from scratch. If I'm feeling brave, I'll use the last iOS 7 backup to restore from - since I don't really know how Apple gets settings/apps restored across iOS platforms, starting from scratch seems like the best approach for me.

I carry two iPhone 5s - my daily driver and my iOS test mule. I'll use my test mule first, to see if it blows up. With a new OS (non-beta), I'll load my test mule as I like it, try it for a few days, back it up if it works well, then install the new OS on my daily driver and restore it from the back up of my test mule.

If you're using only one iPhone or iPad, I would just start from scratch once the GM is made available, and set up the device as you like it. I do the same thing with my Macs. What I see being different in iOS 8 - is the new iCloud metadata metaphor - how storage, photos, and such are being handled. I have NOT upgraded to iCloud Drive as IMO it seems to be a moving target.

IMO there are people that want this move to the next platform nailed down. After beta testing for 20-odd years, I've opted to start fresh when a new iteration comes out - and that includes the GM. Or, have a couple of drinks, if that suits you. If you install a beta FM, assume you will keep nothing when the next version comes out and start with a clean slate - which is what's worked for me recently. Until it doesn't. YMMV.

GrandMstrBud

macrumors member
May 6, 2013
So carriers are requested to provide test approval on beta 6 by September 5th or earlier? Anyway to install Beta 6 and avoid the 3194 error in iTunes?

iphone5s2013

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2013
It's really simple for me. I started with an iOS 7 device, and made a backup. On the day of the GM being announced, I DL the FW from Apple Developer Portal and install it. I generally will then set up that iOS device as a New Device and start completely fresh.

I've at least one BT keyboard handy, such as my Logitech K811, and I'll pair it with the newly-restored iPhone - then set up my iOS device from scratch. If I'm feeling brave, I'll use the last iOS 7 backup to restore from - since I don't really know how Apple gets settings/apps restored across iOS platforms, starting from scratch seems like the best approach for me.

I carry two iPhone 5s - my daily driver and my iOS test mule. I'll use my test mule first, to see if it blows up. With a new OS (non-beta), I'll load my test mule as I like it, try it for a few days, back it up if it works well, then install the new OS on my daily driver and restore it from the back up of my test mule.

If you're using only one iPhone or iPad, I would just start from scratch once the GM is made available, and set up the device as you like it. I do the same thing with my Macs. What I see being different in iOS 8 - is the new iCloud metadata metaphor - how storage, photos, and such are being handled. I have NOT upgraded to iCloud Drive as IMO it seems to be a moving target.

IMO there are people that want this move to the next platform nailed down. After beta testing for 20-odd years, I've opted to start fresh when a new iteration comes out - and that includes the GM. Or, have a couple of drinks, if that suits you. If you install a beta FM, assume you will keep nothing when the next version comes out and start with a clean slate - which is what's worked for me recently. Until it doesn't. YMMV.

Thanks you for details :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.