Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The problem with the current administration is that they don't follow the rules fairly. If you're brown-nosing the President, you are far more likely get what you want. This is not how America should be.
[automerge]1572636590[/automerge]
All US companies were warned about production in China 3 years ago. Stop making your **** in China and move manufacturing to the US and other countries that are not currency manipulators and intelectual property theives. Get on it already. You should have started the process 3 years ago.

Really? Trump wasn't even President 3 years ago.

beaker7

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2009
All US companies were warned about production in China 3 years ago. Stop making your **** in China and move manufacturing to the US and other countries that are not currency manipulators and intelectual property theives. Get on it already. You should have started the process 3 years ago.

Over here in reality you can't solve a 40 year problem in 2 years.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Who's looking for converts? I'm just stating published facts. If they're getting you weary, perhaps you shouldn't be giving me and what I contribute so much power.

What do you have to contribute?
Power????!!! Get over yourself. I have contributed what many have contributed....a distaste for certain actions of the present day Apple. You have a different view which is fine (not that your view is fine but your freedom to hold that view is fine).

Reactions: Marekul

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Power????!!! Get over yourself. I have contributed what many have contributed....a distaste for certain actions of the present day Apple. You have a different view which is fine (not that your view is fine but your freedom to hold that view is fine).

Dude he’s just stating facts about profit margins consistent with the industry. At no point in his comment was he pro-Apple or anti-Apple.

Just because a comment doesn’t align with “tIm CoOk MuSt Go” doesn’t mean it’s some Apple apologist stuff.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Dude, I was not commenting on the profit margin. Of course he was pro-Apple as he supported the request for exemptions.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
The only way Apple will build products in the US, when robots build 90% of the product and they are allowed to bring in foreign workers for the remaining 10%. Actually closer to reality then many think. The delusion, American workers have the skills and willingness to do these jobs is just that delusional.

Reactions: kpeex

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Apple just released their financials that showed nearly a 38% gross profit margin.

Apple has significant room to have higher costs without increasing the prices.

they just have to have the "courage" to tell wallstreet to **** off.

but with Tim Cook, that will NOT happen because his avarice is the same as those in wallstreet. The stock price is all that matters at the end of the day to them, and that means pushing margins as high as possible.

We need to stop making excuses for this sort of pure greed by Apple and it's share holders.

38% GM is also huge in in electronics in particular. I think most electronic companies margin is in the teens to low 20's.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
They didn’t start the process because those jobs aren’t going anywhere else.

I don’t know why people think moving manufacturing to another country is as simple as buying a plane ticket and going there.

Other companies, such as Samsung, have somehow achieved moving production out of China completely. But yeah, it takes effort and you actually need to want to.

Reactions: BusanAA and 5105973

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Apple has a duty to the stockholders to maximize value, it's as simple as that.

All the armchair CEO's are clueless...

Elected representatives should have a duty to force companies to manufacture here and to hire Americans exclusively.

• Haha
Reactions: thasan

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
suck it up apple
Most valuable company in the world, a one-percenter if there ever was one, asking for a tax break.
<snip>
and what makes Apple special such that they should avoid the tariffs ?
No. No exception. Apple is rich and big enough to readjust their supply chain.
GREED = DISGUSTING! Pay your fair share Apple. SMH
From the Wall Street Journal a month ago:
Oct 1, 2019 · More than 2,500 companies had asked the Trump administration to exclude about 31,000 products as of midnight Monday.​

Apple Doesn’t want their business to be screwed over by foolish tariffs any more than the other 2,500 companies seeking exemptions.

The current manufacturing recession threatening our ten-year economic expansion is a self-inflicted wound based on ignorance of economics and history. Smoot Hawley, anyone?

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Elected representatives should have a duty to force companies to manufacture here and to hire Americans exclusively.
Well, go ahead and work on that and when you make that happen. Apple will certainly comply.

Today, that doesn't exist, so Apple and thousands of others manufacture in China. Apple is working to manufacture elsewhere, but until then, it is what it is.

Tim needs to do what he can for the shareholders, it's relatively simple.

This forum never fails, this community was built for Mac/Apple oriented discussion. A contrary word is welcomed, but so many just come here to piss and moan for the sake of it, It becomes tiresome and I suppose i need to up my ignore game.

Reactions: beaker7

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Other companies, such as Samsung, have somehow achieved moving production out of China completely. But yeah, it takes effort and you actually need to want to.
Not true. They moved smartphone production out of China. That’s not “completely”.
[automerge]1572648577[/automerge]
I
From the Wall Street Journal a month ago:
Oct 1, 2019 · More than 2,500 companies had asked the Trump administration to exclude about 31,000 products as of midnight Monday.​

Apple Doesn’t want their business to be screwed over by foolish tariffs any more than the other 2,500 companies seeking exemptions.

The current manufacturing recession threatening our ten-year economic expansion is a self-inflicted wound based on ignorance of economics and history. Smoot Hawley, anyone?
How dare you bring facts into this discussion.

We all know only greedy Apple asked for tariff exemptions while all the other “honest” companies bent over and accepted it without so much as a whimper.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
38% GM is also huge in in electronics in particular. I think most electronic companies margin is in the teens to low 20's.

It really isn't. Take a look at Nintendo, Canon, Samsung, Microsoft, Casio, IBM, Texas Instruments, Broadcom, AMD, Cisco, Juniper, Seagate, Dell, Intel, Nvidia, and on and on.

Maybe you're thinking of net profit margin? Apple's is around 20%.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
It really isn't. Take a look at Nintendo, Canon, Samsung, Microsoft, Casio, IBM, Texas Instruments, Broadcom, AMD, Cisco, Juniper, Seagate, Dell, Intel, Nvidia, and on and on.

Maybe you're thinking of net profit margin? Apple's is around 20%.
Actually Apple has a profit margin that is higher than average.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
So sad to see so many, especially Yanks who are sucking up to the twisted rhetorics of Trump's tariff war. There's no righteousness there but brutal bullying, one that the US has applied to numerous emerging economic powerhouses in the past century, from the UK, to Germany, EU, Japan and others. Similar it has done to Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Korea amongst many others. It's all about US economic dominance than legitimate fair trade. Sorry, US is not the victim as portrayed but the bully! Apple's seeking of tariff relief is but what many other US companies are doing, and has been granted. Fact is, Trump's tariff war is failure, causing mutual and collateral damages around the world. More than a year down, US's trade deficit and national debt is still increasing. Of course, unwillingness to treat the root cause is the problem as it'll hurt. Trump is just trying to get other sovereign nations to pay for the excesses of the US, something that's been going on for too long already.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
So sad to see so many, especially Yanks who are sucking up to the twisted rhetorics of Trump's tariff war. There's no righteousness there but brutal bullying, one that the US has applied to numerous emerging economic powerhouses in the past century, from the UK, to Germany, EU, Japan and others. Similar it has done to Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Korea amongst many others. It's all about US economic dominance than legitimate fair trade. Sorry, US is not the victim as portrayed but the bully! Apple's seeking of tariff relief is but what many other US companies are doing, and has been granted. Fact is, Trump's tariff war is failure, causing mutual and collateral damages around the world. More than a year down, US's trade deficit and national debt is still increasing. Of course, unwillingness to treat the root cause is the problem as it'll hurt. Trump is just trying to get other sovereign nations to pay for the excesses of the US, something that's been going on for too long already.

Well said and true. Tariffs, a hidden tax that goes right to the US Treasury, hurt the consumer. And the US debt has climbed to an all time high of $23 trillion. So much for all that trump-inspired winning.

Reactions: thasan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.