Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
On a serious note, I also take offense at the word "people," as in "you people."

And I also take offense at the word "officer," as in the "police officer" that beat "you people."

Chief People Officer. Oh my.
Agree with people when when used by itself or with All. At least use most or some etc.

Reactions: antiprotest

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Nope. It's racist to use the word if it's not related to indigenous groups - English has other perfectly good words to use. Derogatory is in the eye of the beholders too. In this case, it's low key appropriation. Chief isn't meant to be used in a business sense - it has a reeeeeal specific meaning to the people the word was taken from. And when I say 'taken', I mean 'murdered'. This is why it's just the done thing now not to use the language. Apple are dumb.
I mean, sure in a colonial sense. But the word itself predates colonialism by hundreds of years and I’m pretty sure it was taken from Latin and into French in the 14th Century? Not too sure, and anecdotally I also know a few Indigenous people who have no issue with the word so long as you’re not using it to be racist.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
So indeed Apple had HR problems. We will see if this leads to better or worse. Seems a little bit late when many key people left, and the products (especially software) languishing.

Bodycalming

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2009
London.
Bring Carol Surface up, who is she, bring her up to the surface, let us see her and what she can bring to Apple customers.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Was stupid to even combine these things in first place.

At least now Apple can pretend that the Personnel Dept is unencumbered with operational concerns.

Reactions: amartinez1660

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Human Resources is now essentially a corporate role. It's the same at Target and Walmart.
Now? When was HR not a corporate role?
Don't be fooled... Human Resources is anything but human. Their main (if not only) function is to protect the interest of The Company. Period. Anything else is irrelevant.

Anyway, it sounds like a good idea to remove the HR duties from the Retail head and create a new role that manages the HR side of Apple. That was always one of Apple's more puzzling sceanrios.

Last edited:

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Now? When was HR not a corporate role?
Don't be fooled... Human Recourses is anything but human. Their main (if not only) function is to protect the interest of The Company. Period. Anything else is irrelevant.

Anyway, it sounds like a good idea to remove the HR duties from the Retail head and create a new role that manages the HR side of Apple. That was always one of Apple's more puzzling sceanrios.
So true, when I was working at Nordstrom (office work, not sales) there was a horrible manager. Considering they pride themselves on being a top employer and very employee-focused, when I brought an issue up HR's response was "well, if you'd like you can quit without penalty" because they thought I wouldn't want to see the manager

genzai

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2011
Nope. It's racist to use the word if it's not related to indigenous groups - English has other perfectly good words to use. Derogatory is in the eye of the beholders too. In this case, it's low key appropriation. Chief isn't meant to be used in a business sense - it has a reeeeeal specific meaning to the people the word was taken from. And when I say 'taken', I mean 'murdered'. This is why it's just the done thing now not to use the language. Apple are dumb.
Very sad to see comments like this. Is this some sort of knee jerk response?
1) This is not a Native American word. So far as I know it has not even been adopted widely into Native American languages. The word has etymology in Latin and French and had been in use in the English language for at least 200 years before English speakers arrived in the americas.

2) You know there is a related adverb as well, "chiefly"- how does that fit into your linguistic view?

3) If anything, it could be racist to use it /IN/ a Native American contexts. For instance, it would be wildly inappropriate to call a Native American person you just met (or even knew well) "Hey, Chief..." Just as it would be very suspicious to say "hey, Jew" or "hey Sheik" - It's not necessary (to call out one's ethnicity or culture) and it would be hard to envision a context in which that conveyed positive intentions. But at the same time, if Native American communities accept the use of the word "Chief" to describe tribal leaders, then that is an appropriate English word to use in that specific context.

4) It is without a doubt ok and advisable to continue to use the English word "chief" within all the original and ongoing definitions and meanings of the word- Such as in "Chief of Operations at...", or "CEO", or even "OK Chief" (to a boss figure). This has nothing to do with anything Native American or any ethnicity.

Ultimately, I really don't understand these lazy attacks on language. While many, many words can be used in a way that is intended to be purposefully hurtful or derogatory, far fewer are inherently so. It is really important to understand the etymology and all modern use cases of specific language. I consider myself very liberal minded, and I find this /specific/ type of "wokeness" really troubling. There are so many things (which often take real effort) that we could be doing to improve societal or systemic issues related to racial bias, and socio-economic disparities, but we have people who pat themselves on the back for things like "banning" non derogatory words. It creates distracting noise and a false sense of participation on the issues at hand- all energy and effort which could instead be doing actual good. I have a friend who tried to tell me the word "master" was banned. It's wild. Of course we shouldn't use that word in context of a "master-slave relationship", but this friend, whom I still love, really thought we could no longer say someone was a "master painter" or had "mastered a skill" or label a "master hard drive" in context of multiple copies- it is misguided and destructive and distracting. Look at all the time I wasted writing this thing -which I think should be pretty common sense! I could have been doing something much more useful and progressive with this time spent!

g\

Last edited:

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
Some rather respected sources such as etymology dictionary online, seem to differ with your claim Chief was stolen from indigenous groups. In fact, their pages and references to geography and chronology make your claim of theft and appropriation highly unlikely.

A little googling produced interesting results. The first page of hits was all links to etymological resources and all had the same origins for the word, none of which attributed the word to indigenous groups.

Why don't you go to entomology online and search for the word like I did.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
is "inclusion and diversity" the new "gluten free" 🤔...
It’s “organic”!

Apparently so, since they are in the Super Bowl. And the one thing that bugs me is why are they still allowed to do the chant and tomahawk gestures when the Braves got in trouble??
Guessing because the Chiefs never apologized for their use of it. If you don’t acknowledge the protesters they eventually have to go away because ignoring them as they shout to the sky shows everyone what little power and influence they have.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
Uh, wrong. The word originated around 1300 and was not “appropriated” from indigenous peoples, unless you mean the French.

dork

macrumors regular
May 24, 2004
San Francisco
Medtronic *JUST* lost a $100+ million patent infringement suit - as in just a couple of hours ago. For her sake, I hope she cashed out her options before the verdict came in!

Reactions: Robert.Walter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.