Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Nope. It's racist to use the word if it's not related to indigenous groups - English has other perfectly good words to use. Derogatory is in the eye of the beholders too. In this case, it's low key appropriation. Chief isn't meant to be used in a business sense - it has a reeeeeal specific meaning to the people the word was taken from. And when I say 'taken', I mean 'murdered'. This is why it's just the done thing now not to use the language. Apple are dumb.
The word “chief” is from Middle English, from Old French chief, chef, and is based on Latin caput ‘head’.

It’s also where the word “chef” comes from as “head of kitchen.”

Reactions: DakotaGuy

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
If she were, she'd be full of bugs.
...And have really bad fashion sense, with mis-matched outfits.

(This is a reference to the multiple generations of UI that still exists on Windows 10 & 11. Yes, I realise that a joke has probably failed if you have to explain it 😂).

Reactions: Tozovac

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Hard to believe one of the largest companies in the world didn't have a separate HR function. But they and other companies should call HR what it really is... the Personnel Department. HR departments have one primary purpose and that is to f*** employees.

michaeljk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
She comes from Medtronic, which is headquartered where I live, and has a reputation as one of the best corporations to work for, at least locally. They are known for fairness and actually caring about their employees. So, that's a good sign for how Ms. Surface will comport herself at Apple.

michaeljk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
Hard to believe one of the largest companies in the world didn't have a separate HR function. But they and other companies should call HR what it really is... the Personnel Department. HR departments have one primary purpose and that is to f*** employees.
Wrong. As a previous employment lawyer representing both management and employees (at different times in that career), HR is basically law enforcement in a corporation, setting out and implementing rules for punishment (including firing people) but also benefits and promotions. And one of its key roles is making sure management follows the rules in the way it treats employees.

Cancelled
Apr 21, 2022
I remember, “You’ll work an occasional evening or weekend shift.”

Every weekend, every evening.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
...And have really bad fashion sense, with mis-matched outfits.

(This is a reference to the multiple generations of UI that still exists on Windows 10 & 11. Yes, I realise that a joke has probably failed if you have to explain it 😂).

I like it and get it.

I would add: Bad fashion that's completely forced and unnecessary, added for the sake of something new. One thing I'm specifically referring to "Backstage" which is a completely awful interface decision by Microsoft...it's forced, it's out of of place, it's less efficient than before, it's distracting. It's completely stupid and unnecessary. It's the computer interface version of this:

d84xf958s7m21.jpg

Or like how Jony's iOS7 is this version of Jony's Christmas Tree, devoid of decoration and any elements that make it attractive, approachable, timelessness, and useful. Instead it's forced-lighting extremes for a new & different ambience. As quoted by Engadget, "It's like Ive was sent on a mission to destroy your holiday memories with his signature minimalism."

claridges-christmas-tree-jony-ive-marc-newson.jpg.cf.jpg

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
a huge HR department gives them lots of layoff candidates to protect actual valuable employees when that time comes

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Apple is hiring Carol Surface as its new chief people officer, with Surface set to report directly to Apple CEO Tim Cook, reports Bloomberg. Apple head of retail Deirdre O'Brien had been handling the "people" role, but Apple has now made a dedicated hire and has removed the duties from O'Brien

And now for the question nobody is asking: Does the new hire make the company too top-heavy?

The more executives you hire and pay, the greater the probability that there's simply "too many generals and not enough privates."

• Haha
Reactions: JapanApple

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
Wrong. As a previous employment lawyer representing both management and employees (at different times in that career), HR is basically law enforcement in a corporation, setting out and implementing rules for punishment (including firing people) but also benefits and promotions. And one of its key roles is making sure management follows the rules in the way it treats employees.

Of course HR makes sure management follows its rules because those are the rules that have been carefully crafted by legal and/or compliance (with a liberal dash of nonsense from the consultants) to extract the maximum performance out of employees for the least amount of compensation and commitment in return. We both know this.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I like it and get it.

I would add: Bad fashion that's completely forced and unnecessary, added for the sake of something new. One thing I'm specifically referring to "Backstage" which is a completely awful interface decision by Microsoft...it's forced, it's out of of place, it's less efficient than before, it's distracting. It's completely stupid and unnecessary. It's the computer interface version of this:

d84xf958s7m21.jpg

Or like how Jony's iOS7 is this version of Jony's Christmas Tree, devoid of decoration and any elements that make it attractive, approachable, timelessness, and useful. Instead it's forced-lighting extremes for a new & different ambience. As quoted by Engadget, "It's like Ive was sent on a mission to destroy your holiday memories with his signature minimalism."

claridges-christmas-tree-jony-ive-marc-newson.jpg.cf.jpg
Good points.

It looks like backstage is here to stay. Office on Windows in particular is a weird mist mash of new UI ideas plus settings panes that look exactly the same as they did 20+ years ago with a seemingly random assortment of options on each pane.

My gf has a Windows 11 desktop and I'm amazed that MS thinks it's OK to ship something with major part of the experience still looking like the 00s.

I don't mean obscure admin tools, but things like file copy status bars in explorer and various dialogs in explorer have barely been touched since Win7. Plus lots of random in-box apps are still in various states of disrepair.

That they didn't laser focus on one of the core experiences of Windows - Explorer - for the launch of 11, goes to show the lack of 'taste' in MS for want of a better word and that I get that productivity is their 'thing' but in imho:

Productivity + Pleasing efficient consistent well designed UI = Good UX

And OK you don't like iOS 7. I did and I think it was a necessary course correction from the faux wood panelling, paper, marble and green baize era of iOS 6.

But the garish saturated colours of iOS 7+ through to 16 are a bit much now. Especially when the screen tech is way better. So I'd much prefer something more muted and subtle.

Maybe we'll see the next evolution of iOS around the time that 'rOS' / 'Apple Reality' is introduced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.