Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kay_Ess

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2022
How can you be carbon neutral in 2030 if you bring out stuff like 8GB MacBooks in 2024? They’ll all be thrown away before 2030, needing replacements. Any idea how long it takes for trees that you plant now to offset anything, let alone what it would achieve in 2030?

I’m not entirely sure Apple will be anywhere remotely carbon neutral but I’m sure on paper they’ve found a loophole.

I like the focus and really appreciate it. I love how they ditched leather for example last year. But Apple is not doing good and the intention to do good is obviously not there in all divisions of the company.

MacRumors, I’d appreciate an article about this with some investigative journalism instead of just copying some things some lawyers and marketeers wanted us to know.

• Disagree
Reactions: PantherKang

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
How can you be carbon neutral in 2030 if you bring out stuff like 8GB MacBooks in 2024? They’ll all be thrown away before 2030, needing replacements. Any idea how long it takes for trees that you plant now to offset anything, let alone what it would achieve in 2030?

I’m not entirely sure Apple will be anywhere remotely carbon neutral but I’m sure on paper they’ve found a loophole.

I like the focus and really appreciate it. I love how they ditched leather for example last year. But Apple is not doing good and the intention to do good is obviously not there in all divisions of the company.

MacRumors, I’d appreciate an article about this with some investigative journalism instead of just copying some things some lawyers and marketeers wanted us to know.
If you are going to throw away a laptop, take it to a recycle centre so it can be properly recycled. All of a laptop can be recycled.

Kay_Ess

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2022
If you are going to throw away a laptop, take it to a recycle centre so it can be properly recycled. All of a laptop can be recycled.
Thanks for your input but that adds tons of CO2 too. That process is far from free. You can plant trees and of course they’ll immediately start to convert CO2 but before they really have an impact you’re talking about waiting 10-20 years. So recycling won’t help Apple with their 2030 carbon goals unless they are paper goals and they will continue heavily polluting the earth.

The first step will have to be to produce less.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Guys.

I know patting Apple on the back is the vibe on here. And angering our gods is probably a bad move when we've already spited them with enforcing USB-C on iPhone.

Maybe that's why they're holding out on those new, life-changing iPads Pro M3, to punish us for disobeying them?

But can we please get on the same page when talking about for-profit corporations attempts to save the World?!

8nbb2j.jpg

I'm not saying what Apple is doing is wrong.

But patting someone on the back for simply doing their job and honoring their responsibilities to the shareholders is very naive.

Yes, the end-result is good for everyone. But it's not like they're going beyond what's profitable and taking a hit on profits to lessen their negative impact.

Save your tears and applause for those that make measures to save our environment without considering profits first.

Apple is just another business.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Kay_Ess and I7guy

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Thanks for your input but that adds tons of CO2 too. That process is far from free. You can plant trees and of course they’ll immediately start to convert CO2 but before they really have an impact you’re talking about waiting 10-20 years. So recycling won’t help Apple with their 2030 carbon goals unless they are paper goals and they will continue heavily polluting the earth.

They ARE producing less. Less raw products, and less than other companies. They produce less because of this.

As far as your comment of recycling producing more CO2…. Well that’s a motherhood statement. Breathing does this.

They are leading the way and like always, others start to copy them. Surely that’s a good thing?

Guys.

I know patting Apple on the back is the vibe on here. And angering our gods is probably a bad move when we've already spited them with enforcing USB-C on iPhone.

Maybe that's why they're holding out on those new, life-changing iPads Pro M3, to punish us for disobeying them?

But can we please get on the same page when talking about for-profit corporations attempts to save the World?!

I'm not saying what Apple is doing is wrong.

But patting someone on the back for simply doing their job and honoring their responsibilities to the shareholders is very naive.

Yes, the end-result is good for everyone. But it's not like they're going beyond what's profitable and taking a hit on profits to lessen their negative impact.

Save your tears and applause for those that make measures to save our environment without considering profits first.

Apple is just another business.
Sure they're "just another business". But they are doing far more than the other "just another businesses". And that’s the point. They are leading the way. In front. Ahead. Let’s not crap on that like you've done.

As far as the comment about not damaging profits. If they can do as much as they do and not lose profits,then again, that’s leading the way.

So either they are leading the way and making more profit, or they are doing more than anyone else and sacrificing profits. Which one is it? And what are others doing? Making profit and ignoring the environment?

Reactions: LoggerMN and I7guy

goshya

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Europe
If they wanted to protect the environment, they’d provide better walking and cycling directions in Apple Maps.

In Tokyo Apple Maps switches from walking directions to driving directions often without announcing the switch (bug?), consequently trying to send me up the highway. Completely insane. The incompetence/ignorance of the Apple Maps team regarding anything going on outside the US is mind boggling.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
You know what's actually good for the environment? Letting people work remote.
I work for a place that was previously remote after COVID. Truth is we did well for the first year or so. After that, human nature kicked in and productivity tanked, culture tanked, and even social interaction between coworkers suffered a ton. Sure, living a Twitch-life after work may work for some, but ever since we returned to office, all he things I love about where I work returned. The commute sucks, but the trade off doesn't compare. I get far more done, enjoy my friends far more, and feel like the excitement around the campus is back. Just my 2-cents worth.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Going against all the negativity and saying kudos for at least making an effort, raising awareness. If it's all just a marketing scheme, bad on them (and all others). But just glad someone is talking about it, making others aware of it. Earth is a tiny place, and for now the only place we can call home. Let's take care of it (thanks Carl Sagan)

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Going against all the negativity and saying kudos for at least making an effort, raising awareness. If it's all just a marketing scheme, bad on them (and all others). But just glad someone is talking about it, making others aware of it. Earth is a tiny place, and for now the only place we can call home. Let's take care of it (thanks Carl Sagan)
I wonder if those criticizing apple for “not doing enough” are indeed doing anything.

And some of the tangential comments are cringeworthy.

Reactions: bodhisattva

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Call me when you design your products to be user upgrade-able and thus life extendable

The actual "care about the Earth" move would be user replaceable batteries, RAM and SSD sticks

Until this, this is all green-washing nonsense

• Disagree
Reactions: Kay_Ess and I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Call me when you design your products to be user upgrade-able and thus life extendable

The actual "care about the Earth" move would be user replaceable batteries, RAM and SSD sticks

Until this, this is all green-washing nonsense
Being green, environmentally friendly, carbon neutral is a process. I wager most of us are not and thus have no right to criticize a company who is at least doing something (even if MR posters don’t agree on the action plan).

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Being green, environmentally friendly, carbon neutral is a process. I wager most of us are not and thus have no right to criticize a company who is at least doing something (even if MR posters don’t agree on the action plan).

It has nothing to do with a comparison to ourselves (that is setting up a straw man)
It's all relative to how Apple likes to portray themselves

My original comment stands

Show us some repairable and upgradeable and thus life extendable hardware ... then you'll get some actual "Green cred" Apple

• Disagree
Reactions: I7guy and Kay_Ess

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It has nothing to do with a comparison to ourselves (that is setting up a straw man)
It's all relative to how Apple likes to portray themselves

My original comment stands

Show us some repairable and upgradeable and thus life extendable hardware ... then you'll get some actual "Green cred" Apple
That’s a straw man as well. Apple doesn’t get green cred because they only did “x” instead of x,y,z.

Straw man.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008

I just saw this. Here in Australia, they can convert CO2 directly into energy. Win win. It's research at this stage.. but how good is this…

Queensland researchers create device that consumes carbon dioxide and generates electricity

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.