Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an effort to diversify its supply chain and manufacture more products outside of China, Apple this year plans to ramp up production of iPhones, iPads, Macs, and other devices in India and Vietnam, according to a report from Nikkei Asia.

ipad-air-gold-16x9-feature.jpg

iPad production in Vietnam is set to start as early as the middle of 2021, and the shift will mark the first time that a large number of devices will be built outside of China.

At the same time, Apple is increasing iPhone production in India, and as soon as this quarter, factories in the country will begin manufacturing the new iPhone 12 models.

Production for smart speakers, earphones, and computers is increasing in Southeast Asia. Apple suppliers in Vietnam will expand production capacity for the HomePod mini, which is already being manufactured in the country, and some production of the Mac mini has been relocated to Malaysia. Apple last year also started assembling some of the AirPods Pro in Vietnam.

Late last year, reports suggested Apple was asking Foxconn to move iPad and MacBook assembly from China to Vietnam amid ongoing trade tensions between the U.S. and China, and Foxconn has now been granted a license to construct a $270 million plant in the northern Vietnamese province of Bac Giang.

Apple and other major tech companies have been aiming to reduce their dependence on China due to rising labor costs and trade tensions between the U.S. and China, plus the pandemic led to major supply chain issues that further sparked efforts to diversify.

Article Link: Apple Shifting More iPhone and iPad Production to India and Vietnam

Reactions: decypher44

iFan

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Everyone else started doing this in the furniture biz 6-8 years ago. Vietnam has the labor costs that China used to have. Surprised it took the pandemic for Apple to diversify outside China.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Vietnam has been on the uprise for what, 7-8 years now? There was a reliable indicator that when Intel invests into Assembly/Test in a "new" county, others will follow. And assembly is driven by labor cost.
Not real surprised Apple is going there, just surprised how long it took them ...

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
This is Tim doing what Tim does best. Reading the temperature of world logistics and production.

China is last century. It just took a while to wring the last few drops from the orange.

If the goal is to maximize profits via stable supply chains that reside in friendly host countries, Vietnam and India are far better bets than China.

It takes almost decades long vision to see it, shift the logistics, build the skilled labor base, the agreements with local governments, local infrastructure, etc etc to effectively make the switch.

China will continue to be a major player in Apple production in the foreseeable future. But given both the recent sabre rattling by the PRC regime (past five years or so), their willingness to engage in corporate espionage, and the potential backlash from all that has been the pandemic (I will not get into it, as this is not a political discussion, nor do I want it to become that. But to ignore the potential for blowback on China from the Pandemic is to sink your head into an ostrich hole. The potential is huge.) it makes sense for Apple to plan their exfiltration from reliance on China for the majority of it's manufacturing.

Smart move, Tim. Smart move.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Why not here in the Americas? Plenty of capacity engineering and technical wise to put factories in Central & South America... and cheaper as well.
Do Central and South America have enough specialized workers willing to work in a plant like this? Real question as I have no idea where they stand. We can't do it in the US, and I was under the impression that they were a similar issue.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
I wish you could choose the location of your device’s manufacture; even if it increased costs.

with what China are doing to the Uighers, millions of customers would pick anywhere but China.

For all its faults, at least India is a democracy.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
It's all a global supply chain anyway. There will be a ton of parts coming from China to be assembled there. The move to India is likely being done to help reduce excise on their products in India. The move to Vietnam may be part of improving resilience. But there's absolutely no way that the lion's share of their manufacturing will move out of China.

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl
all companies should cut ties with china

My thoughts exactly. Now that the location is out of China, they just need to eliminate the Chinese company.
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve just watched ‘54 Days: China and the Pandemic’ on BBC iPlayer. Both companies and Countries should cut ties with China across the world, for their lack of transparency regarding this Wuhan Flu. Despicable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.