Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Do Central and South America have enough specialized workers willing to work in a plant like this? Real question as I have no idea where they stand. We can't do it in the US, and I was under the impression that they were a similar issue.
That is one of the questions, the other is do they have the factories that make all the other, lower tech, but necessary inputs to the production pipeline. It does not make sense to ship these parts somewhere, they need to be made locally.

Reactions: 4jasontv

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
That is one of the questions, the other is do they have the factories that make all the other, lower tech, but necessary inputs to the production pipeline. It does not make sense to ship these parts somewhere, they need to be made locally.
Yeah, that's a good point too.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Pooh Bear is already unhappy because Mickey Mouse is blocking his honey enterprises....

Indian employees are not that "happy" either...

Personally i don't care, what i really want is software quality and that's made in the USA...

I lived in India for about 9 months out of 2 years working there. Employees are definitely not joyous for nothing. The biggest issue I had was dealing with local corrupt officials in Bangalore and Mysore. Any new development or foreign business they waddle down there to get their cut to ensure in their words “everything is going smoothly”. In other words if you want any permit or adherence to laws that just materialize out of no where you gotta grease the wheels or they will delay things.

Apple is a different beast and more legal eyes to scrutinize. I only had 150 employees out there.

rictus007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Good... I mean, I wish apple consider ever USA (even with just robots) as a place to develop all their products... But good news for India and Vietnam...regarding China, I not sure if they really care (at least not for now)

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Good... I mean, I wish apple consider ever USA (even with just robots) as a place to develop all their products... But good news for India and Vietnam...regarding China, I not sure if they really care (at least not for now)
There is no where here in the U.S. with enough people that have the requisite skills and enough suppliers of the low tech, low value input components needed to make it possible to build the devices here.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Which semiconductor manufacturers have large factories there? What consumer electronics products are manufactured there? What is the size of the largest factory and where is it?
Intel has in Costa Rica. As one point, all Intel first generation i3, i5, and i7 CPUs came from Costa Rica. Also, all Intel motherboards came from Costa Rica. Get a sense how big it is? The site is still active but switched to other electronic component production.

Car part manufacturers for LED and driver controller PCB boards have facilities in Honduras (Lear and Empire Electronics). Those companies already employ 20k people in total. That's for Ford, GM and Chrysler.

Brazil has component assembly facilities for several companies, not sure how big as I don't have the details.

I can go on and on....

Shamgar

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2015
Nope!!

Think about what you said:
Communist China allows their longtime enemy Taiwan to set up shop in Communist China??

Read a Book!! ;)
I had thought they were mainland Chinese, but nope:

"Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd., trading as Foxconn Technology Group and better known as Foxconn, is a Taiwanese multinational electronics contract manufacturer with its headquarters in Tucheng, New Taipei City, Taiwan."

The CCP has no problem allowing foreign investment into China as long as it doesn't threaten their power. Even from Taiwan. Why would they object to getting money, infrastructure, and IP from a country they plan to invade later?

Last edited:

redcaptrickster

Suspended
Nov 27, 2020
Why not here in the Americas? Plenty of capacity engineering and technical wise to put factories in Central & South America... and cheaper as well.
Nope. US employees ask for too much in salary, they're more poorly educated for comparable jobs, their sense of entitlement is too high, and you can't get them to work long hours without constantly whining. Forget the USA. It's dead. It's over.

Reactions: madrigal77

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Nope. US employees ask for too much in salary, they're more poorly educated for comparable jobs, their sense of entitlement is too high, and you can't get them to work long hours without constantly whining. Forget the USA. It's dead. It's over.
Someone doesn't know how to read. I never said the US. I said South and Central America. US != America

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Name 5!!
I double dare you!! :p

ETA: I see you're right about Foxconn-Hard to believe really.
I guess when they invade Taiwan they'll take the Profits back!! ;)
Taiwan province is tightly integrated with the mainland. When China finalizes the remains of the civil war and reins in Taiwan, it will not have any other impact than driving away #2 (USA) from the South China Sea, as their continued presence there is neither wanted nor of any use.

Cai Yingwen can continue to rule the island, and the Chinese Confucian Party will certainly not have any interest in meddling with any Taiwanese companies. They do, however, want TSMC to deliver chips to Huawei.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Taiwan province is tightly integrated with the mainland. When China finalizes the remains of the civil war and reins in Taiwan,
You mean invades Taiwan?
it will not have any other impact than driving away #2 (USA) from the South China Sea, as their continued presence there is neither wanted nor of any use.
Well that and taking away the civil rights of all those residents of Taiwan, just as they have done in Hong Kong, reneging on the promises they made. Certainly seems the people of Taiwan are happy to have the U.S. presence in the South China Sea, so I guess you meant that the invaders will not like it. Got it.

Reactions: kskkr and user_xyz

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
You mean invades Taiwan?

Well that and taking away the civil rights of all those residents of Taiwan, just as they have done in Hong Kong, reneging on the promises they made. Certainly seems the people of Taiwan are happy to have the U.S. presence in the South China Sea, so I guess you meant that the invaders will not like it. Got it.
Ah, bull. The Chinese in Hongkong have as much liberty as Americans. They used to have more, but now they can't occupy the parliament anymore (just as Mericans can't occupy Capitolium unpunished), and they also can't ask foreign powers to intervene in the politics of Hongkong (as that would be treason, just as in the good ole US land of the free).

As for the Chinese in Taiwan, a substantial part of them live on the mainland, where they make their money. There is no majority for independence, and never has been.

hatchettjack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2020
I would love to buy an an American made Apple product! but im happy they are at least moving some business out of the CCP!

Reactions: planteater

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Spoken like a Good Communist!! ;)

Yeah the Uighur camp excusers are way to spot.
Not that it would serve the idea of communism in any way but these thought exercises usually end up being oppression states anyway.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
plenty of people capable of doing these jobs in America!

Says who and where? Michael Moore failed to convince Nike to build anything in the US 20 years ago and he was way more public about it.
Americans as a whole don’t care for simple labour jobs, a common theme in most developed countries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.