Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Hello- I've always bought out right and give my previous phone to my daughter. This year she got an upgrade early, so I'll be trading in my 14PM for the 15PM. Is there a place to handle a trade and is it as quick and easy as a standard purchase? Don't want anything wasting valuable seconds at preorder.

Thanks

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I have never done a trade in with a preorder, but it seems very simple/easy. you should be able to preorder without a ton of hassle or information.

Reactions: Gix1k

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
from my research, if you want to pick up new phone and trade in old one in store (without shipping to apple), do not select trade-in when you pre-order. just pre-order normally and when you pick up in store, ask for trade-in.

if you preorder and select trade in, the store will not take trade-in and ask you to ship to apple instead.

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
if you preorder and select trade in, the store will not take trade-in and ask you to ship to apple instead.
That’s true, but on two separate occasions I took my old phone to an Apple Store and asked if I could trade it in instead of shipping and they said yes. This was during the iPhone 11 and 12 launches, so fairly recent but things could have changed.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
from my research, if you want to pick up new phone and trade in old one in store (without shipping to apple), do not select trade-in when you pre-order. just pre-order normally and when you pick up in store, ask for trade-in.

If you do this, do they put your trade in back on your credit card, or issue store credit? This will be important for some folks.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
It is +10 seconds to select trade in option when ordering online and extra couple minutes in store until they inspect. Make sure to order a store pickup and trade old/grab new.
Ahhh, so it has to go to a store that day instead of home delivery for a later return?

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008

Interesting…so buy the phone and handle trade after the fact?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Ahhh, so it has to go to a store that day instead of home delivery for a later return?
Well, as far as i inferred, receiving at home delivery and later trading in in store is a privilege of certain stores and managers - so there is no set on a stone rule re this thus you are at the mercy of your local shop.
While picking it up in store and trading it in there is pretty much standard - i ve done with 13pm and 14pm.

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
Has anyone done it with Apple Card monthly payments? Guessing I’ll pay off the remaining amount, then pay the balance on the new phone after the trade-in. But how does it exactly work, do all the calcs happen during the pre-order?

Or pay in full at pre-order, then refund in-store?

Side note, it’s a shame Apple stopped monthly payments for unlocked. I hold out a sliver of hope that they’ll bring it back this week, though.

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
If you do this, do they put your trade in back on your credit card, or issue store credit? This will be important for some folks.
I've bought the phone full price for the past few years and done trade in. They've credited the trade in value back to my credit card.
You can do the trade at the same time, but I prefer to take both phones home first. Then I unbox, swap my data over and make sure everything works before taking my old phone back to  to trade in.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Hello- I've always bought out right and give my previous phone to my daughter. This year she got an upgrade early, so I'll be trading in my 14PM for the 15PM. Is there a place to handle a trade and is it as quick and easy as a standard purchase? Don't want anything wasting valuable seconds at preorder.

Thanks
Yes. One can do a trade through Apple or through reputable third-party entities. The process works fine but mostly I just do what you have done and give it to a relative.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I've bought the phone full price for the past few years and done trade in. They've credited the trade in value back to my credit card.

You can do the trade at the same time, but I prefer to take both phones home first. Then I unbox, swap my data over and make sure everything works before taking my old phone back to  to trade in.

Let me understand. Buy the phone full price from app and don’t mention a trade. Phone will be shipped to me. Once I have data moved, take to Apple Store to trade in 14PM?

Reactions: aParkerMusic

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Let me understand. Buy the phone full price from app and don’t mention a trade. Phone will be shipped to me. Once I have data moved, take to Apple Store to trade in 14PM?
When I did it I included notification of intended trade from the beginning of the purchase process. Then the trade credit came after I sent the old phone in after transferring data. But it might be even easier now with the data in the Cloud anyway.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
When I did it I included notification of intended trade from the beginning of the purchase process. Then the trade credit came after I sent the old phone in after transferring data. But it might be even easier now with the data in the Cloud anyway.

Thanks!

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
Has anyone done it with Apple Card monthly payments? Guessing I’ll pay off the remaining amount, then pay the balance on the new phone after the trade-in. But how does it exactly work, do all the calcs happen during the pre-order?

Or pay in full at pre-order, then refund in-store?

Side note, it’s a shame Apple stopped monthly payments for unlocked. I hold out a sliver of hope that they’ll bring it back this week, though.

With ACMI the price is deducted from the purchase price at purchase. So, if the 15PM cost $1199 USD and the trade-in is worth $680-700 like it has been recently for the previous gen, your purchase price and installments would be based on $499. You would then mail your trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brad7

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
With ACMI the price is deducted from the purchase price at purchase. So, if the 15PM cost $1199 USD and the trade-in is worth $680-700 like it has been recently for the previous gen, you're purchase price and installments would be based on $499. You would then mail your trade.
This. My monthly installment for my 14 Pro is $20 based on the reduced total from my 13 Pro trade in.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
Well, as far as i inferred, receiving at home delivery and later trading in in store is a privilege of certain stores and managers - so there is no set on a stone rule re this thus you are at the mercy of your local shop.
While picking it up in store and trading it in there is pretty much standard - i ve done with 13pm and 14pm.
This is incorrect. You have 14 days after the purchase or receiving date to bring your device in to an Apple Store for an after-purchase trade-in. It’s not up to the whims of a manager. They have no incentive to deny you this option within the 14 days, Apple wants to encourage trade-ins.

EDIT: I will call out the caveat some others mentioned that this would not be the same situation if you chose a financing option like Apple Card Monthly Installments. But paying in full, you should be fine.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
The key here is how to do a trade-in without shipping your old phone to apple and avoid losing your phone during shipping. some stores will not take your trade-in if you selected trade-in during pre-order and ask you to follow the process of shipping it back

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
They put it back on the card. I had a failed trade in (device wouldn't turn in) and they made me buy the device first, then do the trade in aspect. When the device wouldn't turn on, I then returned the initial purchase.

Reactions: dmccombs

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
Doesn't matter if you mention the trade at the time of preorder or not. I've done it both ways. Seemed easier for the associate when I started the trade in process when preordering though.

Rockoo

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2021
Okay now here is something I am confused about. When I upgraded to the 14 pro last year, I only made 12 out of the 24 of the payments on my 13 pro. However it did not show any remaining balance and shows the installments are complete when I upgraded to the 14 pro. I assume this is because I was trading the 13 pro back in and therefore the trade in value canceled out the remaining payments (essentially like it does on iUP). But if that was the case why was the 14 pro's total financed amount only $499 (13 pro credit applied here too).

It's been a long day and there is SOMETHING I have to be missing here. I checked all my statements from the past year and I never paid anything past the 12th payment on the 13 pro and everything shows it's good and was closed. The apple receipt from last year even says "good news no more payments are due for this device". Where did the remaining payments go lol

Also super lame trade in values on the regular pro are only $570 this year. They gave $640 for the 12 pro when going to 13 pro and $600 for the 13 pro last year

• Wow
Reactions: Brad7

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
Okay now here is something I am confused about. When I upgraded to the 14 pro last year, I only made 12 out of the 24 of the payments on my 13 pro. However it did not show any remaining balance and shows the installments are complete when I upgraded to the 14 pro. I assume this is because I was trading the 13 pro back in and therefore the trade in value canceled out the remaining payments (essentially like it does on iUP). But if that was the case why was the 14 pro's total financed amount only $499 (13 pro credit applied here too).

It's been a long day and there is SOMETHING I have to be missing here. I checked all my statements from the past year and I never paid anything past the 12th payment on the 13 pro and everything shows it's good and was closed. The apple receipt from last year even says "good news no more payments are due for this device". Where did the remaining payments go lol

Also super lame trade in values on the regular pro are only $570 this year. They gave $640 for the 12 pro when going to 13 pro and $600 for the 13 pro last year
Very interesting. I’m in a similar situation for the first time and been trying to see how the calculation would be. I also figured I’d have to pay off my remaining 12 months first before the trade-in applies.

You’re sure there wasn’t a separate transaction there? If not, then you’ve found a nice money glitch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.