Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roads0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Standing on the Moon
Hello. I have been an Apple fan since 2001 when i purchased my first ibook. Since then, like many of you, I have become obsessed with Apple's ability to create "products for people who change the world". However, after having my first Apple store experience, I have realized that Apple has taken a turn for the worst.

First of all, I am not here to complain about how my Macbook hasn't been fixed in a week. I know Apple has bad Customer Service and I expect nothing more than piss poor service in that category. However, I am going to talk about Apple's transformation from a great company to another "Designer Brand" corporation. I use this term because Apple now sacrifices quality and innovation for the "look" of the Apple products.

I have many friends who make fun of my love for a company that makes computers, but I know that Apple does more than that. They do not put circuits and electricity together to make their products, but they create a new exsitence with their ideas and set a new alter at which the tecnological world worships on.

This is why I was surprised when I walked into the Apple Store. I looked at the people, the employees, the products, and I was dissapointed. I had a hard time getting help, waiting in lines, signing up for appointments, waiting for my name to be called out on the "big screen" I felt like I was in a scene from 1984. While waiting for my name to be called, I walked around to see all the new Apple products and products sold by Apple. I look at the headphones: 300$ for names like Bose, and other pieces of crap that they charge way to much for. And it hit me; Apple was no longer a computer company, but a way of life. I don't mean a life where people love Apple computers like most of us on these boards enjoy, but Apple now promotes a life of buying more crap to satisfy some need that should not have.

Having an Apple now means that you "Think Different"; you are hip and cool and you are into the "digital lifestyle". I actually enjoy how Apple has done this, but the community has taken it to another level. We now feel that we need the best, and newest of everything. iPods, Power Macs, heaphones, speakers, hardrives. We have all been brain washed into thinking that we need more stuff to make our lives easier, when obviously we dont need this stuff.

I'm not sure if this is Apple's fault or it is just the way the Apple community has evolved, but I think Steve Jobs needs to remember where he came from, or he will end up being exactly like the people he set out to destroy. He destroyed himself before, and in the 10 years since he has taken it back, Apple is promoting a lifestyle where material goods rule all.

I was not excited when Jobs announced that Apple Computer would now just be Apple. It has gone from being a company to a way of life, but not just the "cult of mac", it has now stretched out into everyday lives forcing people into buying more stuff.

I'm sorry for the rant, but it is something I've been wanting to put on here. Im not sure if this is all totally true, but I want yall to remeber one thing: The Apple lifestyle is not about having the new computers, mp3 players, or new phones. It is however about a company's ability to turn human emotion into products that we use everyday. This is why I became a MacAddict, and I hope it is why you became one also.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
We now feel that we need the best, and newest of everything. iPods, Power Macs, heaphones, speakers, hardrives

I dont feel that I need a new computer. In fact, I enjoy telling people my 7 year old computer blows their 2 yr old one out of the water in stability, ease of use, and overall stylish design. THAT is the :apple: lifestyle my friend.

Hopefully your next trip in and the fixing of your MacBook go more smoothly.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Sorry about your MB. Maybe Apple is getting TOO popular?

I just got a new adapter for my iBook G4 that's about to go out of Applecare (it's 3 years old). They overnighted it to me, and I put the old broken one in the box and dropped it in DHL's drop box - no problems.

And maybe it depends on the Apple Store you were at. I had some bad experiences at one, and great at another. I would complain to the store manager via e-mail so it is logged properly.

RugoseCone

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2002
So what if Apple makes and sells more than just computers? People are going to buy headphones, MP3 players, new computers, routers, etc. whether Apple is making them or not. Are you being critical of them releasing new products or refreshed products with regularity? If they didn't they'd struggle financially and could possibly cease to exist.

Long lines and lots of people come with their increasing popularity, but to hold these things against a company is kind of strange. Contrary to what anyone might hope, Apple is in the business of making a profit. No matter what image anyone has of Jobs or Apple, they aren't here to save us and show us how to live in peace.

I know it can hurt to have ones "heroes" knocked off the pedestal, but I think you might be being just a tad unrealistic about a corporation. Perhaps you're projecting your definition on Apple Lifestyle onto a company. Doing that will be a failure whether it's Apple, G&E, Toyota, Boeing, etc. and leave you feeling down.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
My relationship with Apple has been a love/hate one, but in all honesty, it's kind of like the expression, Democracy is the worst form of government except for all the other ones. Apple's tech support is not perfect, but compared to the calls I have placed at other major corporations (I won't name them so we don't start a debate on those) Apple is fairly intelligent.

I will say that I have had a number of motherboard problems with Apple over three different machines since 2001--however, there's always bad luck and exceptions and obviously Apple is ranked very well on reliability and customer service on the whole.

The hate will subside and the love will return! In fact I consider it a strong point that a company I have been so mad at before (over repairs) I can enjoy so much still. Look at Steve Jobs, he was FIRED by Apple. That's the ultimate burn! So if even Steve was burnt by Apple and came back, I mean what can you say, it's part of what I see as a love/hate relationship, it's part of any passionate relationship ;)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Try going back at a time when the store isn't so busy.

When they are swamped a trip to the Apple store near me can be very frustrating, but when I go there off-peak I'm reminded about why I really love the stores. Most of the salespeople are actually informed and can be quite helpful.

The last time I went there early one Sat. morning, one of the sales people was helping an older couple edit and e-mail pictures of their newborn grandchild and teaching them the basics of iChat, while another was showing a soon to be switcher the insides of the different "free" printers she had to choose from and giving her a pretty detailed exposition of what makes one printer better than another.

B

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
They are no longer just a computer company. Hence the name change. To remain stagnant in one area of business is bad business. You need to diversify but keep the brand on target.

They are now basically an electronics company and dropping 'computers' from their name reflects this. They are still 'on brand' as they continue to produce quality, innovative electronic products, just in a more diverse arena.

BengalDuck

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Hello. I have been an Apple fan since 2001 when i purchased my first ibook. Since then, like many of you, I have become obsessed with Apple's ability to create "products for people who change the world".

Obsession is never a good thing with anything, let alone a brand...

First of all, I am not here to complain about how my Macbook hasn't been fixed in a week. I know Apple has bad Customer Service and I expect nothing more than piss poor service in that category.

...Especially when your brand of choice is just so terrible. .

This is why I was surprised when I walked into the Apple Store. I looked at the people, the employees, the products, and I was dissapointed. I had a hard time getting help, waiting in lines, signing up for appointments, waiting for my name to be called out on the "big screen" I felt like I was in a scene from 1984.

Here's your problem (And read that again: It's your problem, not Apple's). You consider yourself an elitist. It's ironic in that you were there to get help, but your post shows an attitude where you don't like waiting in line for help, and you don't like a store that you have such a personal attachment with being shared with so many other people. Because you've been a "Switcher" for 6 years now, you consider yourself better than the everyday people looking to buy a new iPod or new, brand name headphones.

You're a Mac Addict. You're on MacRumors and probably other forums as well. You talk about Apple around your friends. You probably think you know more about the products than everyone else in the room, which, sorry to say, is most likely incorrect. Drop the elitist, you-all-should-be-serving-me attitude and wait in line for help just like everyone else, or maybe come back at another time.

21stcenturykid

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2006
Newcastle UK
My iMac broke after a few weeks and i had nothing but the best customer service i have ever experience! Apple tried to fix it over the phone where they did everything they could before they had to get me to return it...which was extremely easy! It took a while but it was quicker than i expected (it took 5 days i was thinkin more like 2 weeks to get it back) maybe it wasn't sorted immediately but they persisted until it was much better. Whereas with dell...do i even need to go there? They couldn't even be bothered to take the tower back and look at it!

Also on the sales end i think the guy on the phone when ordering my MBP was possibly the most usefull phone sales person i have EVER spoken too!

Apple stores are just as good!

Hopefully in the near future apple will restore the faith in you!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Steve Jobs will remember $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ not where he came from.
After having seen a few of his keynotes and how excited he gets with new products, I personally think he's way more motivated by coming up with products that thrill people vs. just taking money to the bank.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I actually find it great that the Apple Stores have become so busy and popular. To be frank, I'd be quite worried about the company if that wasn't the case. I honestly don't mind having to wait sometimes to get service there, because I actually get a kick out of seeing so many other people in there both looking at and buying Apple's products. It's rare that I ever go to the store without seeing at least one customer dropping several grand on a system purchase. It just goes to reinforce yet again to me just how far along Apple has come these last 5 years.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
You may think that but studies (Consumer Reports, PC Magazine, etc.) show that Apple has some of the best customer service in the industry.

Maybe over the phone... the Genius Bar is pathetic, clueless when it comes to customer service. Not once have i been in there when they have been polite and helpful, constantly rude... (i know everything about apple and you dont kinda thing) This is my local store of course... there may be some decent ones across the globe, but i havent been in one yet...

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Maybe over the phone... the Genius Bar is pathetic, clueless when it comes to customer service. Not once have i been in there when they have been polite and helpful, constantly rude... (i know everything about apple and you dont kinda thing) This is my local store of course... there may be some decent ones across the globe, but i havent been in one yet...
I think you missed my point. And that is that one's personal experience does not define the sector as a whole. That is why these reports are important. Because they show overall how Apple is doing in these areas. Sure, there will be some people who were not happy but there were also be people who were happy (including me). Just because your personal experience has been less than desirable does not mean that it will be for everybody. I don't know of any studies that look at the Apple Store's Genius Bars specifically so I can't really say whether overall they are pathetic or not.

Plus, one must be careful when relating personal experience because readers/listeners will give more weight to anecdotal "evidence" than a report, even though that may not seem logical.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
I think you missed my point. And that is that one's personal experience does not define the sector as a whole. That is why these reports are important. Because they show overall how Apple is doing in these areas. Sure, there will be some people who were not happy but there were also be people who were happy (including me). Just because your personal experience has been less than desirable does not mean that it will be for everybody. I don't know of any studies that look at the Apple Store's Genius Bars specifically so I can't really say whether overall they are pathetic or not.

Plus, one must be careful when relating personal experience because readers/listeners will give more weight to anecdotal "evidence" than a report, even though that may not seem logical.

yea yea yea... i understand all that... and i got your point. my point was just because Apple is rated as having great customer service, fact of the matter is your not always going to receive it. notice i did say that this was my experience at my local store... (and a few other stores) i am sure there are better stores out there...

i enjoy owning and using Apple products just as much as you... trust me... over the years i have given them A LOT of my hard earned money... whenever i call the apple sales number or place an order online and follow up with a phone call, i always get great service. Dissappointingly, whenever i go into an Apple store, i end up frustrated and mad...

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
I remember how excited I was when they finally announced the first Canadian Apple Store in Yorkdale Mall. It took me a few months to finally get there--the joys or parenthood-- but when I did it was on a weekday morning. I got there before it opened, and sat by the fountain with a Mocca Chiller from Second Cup. I was alone, nothing to distract me from the moment.

It was like sitting outside Disneyworld, waiting for the park to open. I was giddy-I had been a Mac Fan since 1991, and now i was sitting outside the Mothership. I had spent thousands of dollars on Apple products through resellers. They should know me by sight. Hell, these guys were going to welcome me with open arms! "Ah, it's you! Come in! Shall we detail your Powerbook, sir?"

When the doors finally opened at 10 am, I was first through the hallowed gate. I took a deep breath and soaked up the atmosphere. The fresh displays. The wall of software. The accessories. Steve... I'm home! The room was starting to spin, my senses overloaded. I sat at the Genius bar. "No, I have no questions. Let me gaze at the screens and run my finger along the edge of the counter".

After five minutes, I had my Great Epiphany: "Holy s**t, it's just a damn computer store".

I'm still addicted to Chillers, although they call them Ice-Spressos, or some damn foollishness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.