Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
A million? Nah. Enough to actually feed and house yourself? Yes.
What kind of food and what kind of housing? Vapid statements like yours highlight the thoughtlessness of this narrative. The workers just want MORE and their want their greed to be recognized instead of the greed of the shareholders. Nothing romantic or noble is happening here.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Apple has to stop hiding behind these hollow ethos about making the world a better place. Its just a veneer on a culture that I suspect internally is very toxic. The cracks show when you have that procurement executive who made that silly comment and got canned. If it wasn't caught on video, you think Apple would have fired him? Apple at the end of the day is a big old stinking business and its in service to its shareholders, first and foremost. Don't forget that. Its just that they happen to make really great products.
I've commented that Apple has been becoming more and more like the Big Brother they rallied against in their 1984 commercial. Even Apple fans (one of them has $13K of Mac gear) have said that Apple was always like that. They just did a better job of hiding it back then was all!

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Is that your answer to everything? Who will then do the job? Your answer feels very dismissive and wouldn't make the situation better. In fact, your proposal would make it worse for a lot of people who get helped in the Apple Stores around the world daily!
Very shortsighted answer

Maybe get a better job. What will you do when they start to automate?

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Yes it is. Working in retail is very demanding and very emotionally draining. The amount of abuse one experiences DAILY is unbelievable and Apple is no exception. Customers are more and more passive aggressive because they've learnt that with direct abuse they get kicked out but with passive emotional abuse they don't. Its not uncommon to see fellow coworkers in tears (often on daily basis) when some a**h*ole was 'mean' to them.

I used to work for Apple when I studied ages ago and there are days that you just wouldn't believe.
People think retail is easy. Well, I would encourage the same people to get a job in retail for a week and then report back.

I have family members working @Apple Store. It's not fun, you can't imagine the amount of pressure build up especially hitting certain number (sales , worked hours) with no respect on personal life. Someone said in the above comments , Apple culture is toxic . YES it is ..
Of course, one might think "go find an other job" and that is condescending. You proved yourself at your job , invested years into becoming better and then someone slaps you in the face with "your store needs more hours, more of that , or this " . It has to be a balance work-life . In USA, you live to work , that is apple.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Is that your answer to everything? Who will then do the job? Your answer feels very dismissive and wouldn't make the situation better. In fact, your proposal would make it worse for a lot of people who get helped in the Apple Stores around the world daily!
Very shortsighted answer

Sometimes I think I'd get better service in an Apple Store from a kiosk, honestly.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
it’s always been simple. Treat your employees well, and with respect and they won’t unionize.

Happy employees do not vote to make a non union shop union.

Employers that were previously non union who find themselves dealing with unions have THEMSELVES to blame and no one else.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011

Apple's retail store in Glasgow, Scotland, has become the first UK store to has officially voted in favor of officially forming a union.

Staff at the Glasgow store had been eyeing unionization for some time and comes amid continued concerns for some employees over pay and working conditions. Staff at the Glasgow store are now set to use their unionization to push for higher hourly pay.

In response to the vote, Apple told The Herald it is "one of the highest paying retailers in Scotland" and it "regularly made enhancements to our industry-leading benefits as a part of the overall support we provide to our valued team members."

Apple has been attempting to ease concerns from retail staff over the last several months, encouraging store managers to be more open and direct with staff over their concerns and promising action to address them.

Article Link: Apple Store in Glasgow Makes History as First UK Store to Unionize
Its Apple money not some leech union that does nothing but begs for money. Sad.

• Angry
Reactions: CorvusFox

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
What kind of food and what kind of housing? Vapid statements like yours highlight the thoughtlessness of this narrative. The workers just want MORE and their want their greed to be recognized instead of the greed of the shareholders. Nothing romantic or noble is happening here.
Seriously, have you been living under a rock for the last few months?

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Food that avoids malnutrition/starvation and housing that protects against the elements. You're right, there's nothing noble about people simping for the wealthiest corporation in the world vs the common man.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
You can tell when a company does not actually give a damn about it's front line staff (in this case retail staff) when they submit press releases that praise the business acumen of the company (basically it's excutive staff) but not that of it's front line staff.

Reactions: CorvusFox and Brad7
Aug 30, 2022
Apple has to stop hiding behind these hollow ethos about making the world a better place. Its just a veneer on a culture that I suspect internally is very toxic. The cracks show when you have that procurement executive who made that silly comment and got canned. If it wasn't caught on video, you think Apple would have fired him? Apple at the end of the day is a big old stinking business and its in service to its shareholders, first and foremost. Don't forget that. Its just that they happen to make really great products.
Well said. You’re at the bottom of the barrel when you’re a retail employee and Apple doesn’t give a sh#t about the well-being of their retail workers. They’re treated like modern slaves. It’s quite outrageous that one of the richest companies in the world chooses to underpay the very people that should be considered as their most valued employees. Apple serves the elite, shareholders and woke media. I love most of Apple’s products but there’s a huge smokescreen of gaslighting going on here.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
A million? Nah. Enough to actually feed and house yourself? Yes.
Who sets that value of “enough”, though? Like, if the commute that I MOST prefer as a retail employee is walking or booking to work, and the rents/mortgages are 3500 local money units per month, should that be where pay starts? Or might “enough” be just finding a place that doesn’t require more than 90 minutes travel on public transport or something like that?

Reactions: aParkerMusic

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
“Mom! Why should I have to work to get a scholarship? You and dad make more than enough money to pay for my education. Oh, and I don’t want to stay on campus, which is fine because you guys make enough to afford me NOT being in a dorm.

…is what it sounds like ;0)

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Still baffled by this development. Plumbers form a union because they have skills and maybe it can help their field. Retail has very skills…you can be replaced in a day. You can be replaced by a website or a kiosk. I just don’t understand the movement. I know unions are dying and all organizations above all want to grow so they are looking for new members…but it just starts to make it seem like unions just exist to suck money from corporations and not to promote a trade.
You have been brainwashed to think that working people don't deserve anything. Who carries out the work that creates the millions for the company? It is the working people and they deserve their fare share of the wealth that is created.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.