Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Cool. I'll just hand over my money to some grifter for marginally better benefits even though my job entails little to deserve such benefits.

This is getting out of hand. Apple needs to squash these unionizing efforts immediately but of course Tim "I Don't Lke Confrontation" Cook will just roll on over like always.

You're a retail employee, not a machinist. You could be replaced at the drop of a hat and it wouldn't make a hill of difference.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Who sets that value of “enough”, though? Like, if the commute that I MOST prefer as a retail employee is walking or booking to work, and the rents/mortgages are 3500 local money units per month, should that be where pay starts? Or might “enough” be just finding a place that doesn’t require more than 90 minutes travel on public transport or something like that?
The people are who, like everything else in a free economy.

Reactions: Brad7

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Maybe get a better job. What will you do when they start to automate?
Not great thinking... No more Apple Store because nobody wants to work there because they all got better jobs.

Also, not everyone can get those higher paying jobs. First off, there's not enough openings at Apple corporate, and other corporate positions. Furthermore, like it or not, not everyone is capable of doing such work. We look down on people who do manual labor, retail, "grunt work", etc., but at the end of the day, we need people to get those jobs done, and there should be nothing wrong nor shaming for those wanting to be able to afford rent without having to share a room with 3 other roommates.

Automation can't do everything, unless you want to make cylons, but that didn't work out so well in that storyline.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Apple does not think so. If they did, they would have done it already.
Pretty much this. Apple didn't open an Apple Store "out of the goodness of their hearts". They did it b/c it's making them money. If paying those retail workers is enough to close the store, then I question how good of a business arrangement that was given I'm told those stores still make high profits, and how upping workers' pay would be enough to wreck those margins.

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
UK now stands for Unionizing Kingdom :p
'Twas always thus... Trade unions originated here. (Tolpuddle matyrs, the cooperative movement, truck laws etc etc)

Anyone can join a trade union here and cannot be discriminated against for doing so. I'm personally surprised that the 'youngsters' of today are so passive towards the working deal they seem to get these days but YMMV.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I visited this store while touring Scotland. The staff was great!
IMG_6377.jpeg

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Isn’t that what a business is literally supposed to do?
Not at the expense of other key factors like the environment, general well being, etc. You can't hide behind the guise of making money if it's breaking laws (e.g. child labor), or a company is dumping pollution (and I don't think anybody would agree if you're literally downstream of the river they're doing so in).

In this case, I doubt people would still have the adoration of them if Apple announced they wanted to make even more money, and to do so, they're taking on the business model of Google and Meta. So ads all around, and much less privacy protections! (yah! /s)

Last edited:

Mojohanna32

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
I have family members working @Apple Store. It's not fun, you can't imagine the amount of pressure build up especially hitting certain number (sales , worked hours) with no respect on personal life. Someone said in the above comments , Apple culture is toxic . YES it is ..
Of course, one might think "go find an other job" and that is condescending. You proved yourself at your job , invested years into becoming better and then someone slaps you in the face with "your store needs more hours, more of that , or this " . It has to be a balance work-life . In USA, you live to work , that is apple.
Perhaps that particular Apple Store's culture is toxic. There are bad managers EVERYWHERE. Not all of them get weeded out properly. I have a hard time believing that all of Apple is toxic. To put it bluntly, retail sucks today. People are ***holes and feel that they can do, say and act however they want without consequences which is the driving factor behind retail sucking, IMO.

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
I have family members working @Apple Store. It's not fun, you can't imagine the amount of pressure build up especially hitting certain number (sales , worked hours) with no respect on personal life. Someone said in the above comments , Apple culture is toxic . YES it is ..
Of course, one might think "go find an other job" and that is condescending. You proved yourself at your job , invested years into becoming better and then someone slaps you in the face with "your store needs more hours, more of that , or this " . It has to be a balance work-life . In USA, you live to work , that is apple.
You must be no idea how China/Asia work…or how a India citizen work… lolz

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Are you willing to pay more for Apple products as a result of Apple paying staff higher wages?
Yes, It's the velocity of money etc - the relatively lowly paid put their wages straight back into the (local) economy (they can't afford to save) which means more money moves around - which eventually means more people can afford Apple stuff etc. In my opinion it's better than more money going to the already wealthy who if they spend at all tend to drive up asset prices (property etc).

Reactions: Unami and Brad7

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021

Apple's retail store in Glasgow, Scotland, has become the first UK store to has officially voted in favor of forming a union.

apple-glasgow.jpeg

Staff at the Glasgow store had been eyeing unionization for some time and comes amid continued concerns for some employees over pay and working conditions. Staff at the Glasgow store are now set to use their unionization to push for higher hourly pay.

In response to the vote, Apple told The Herald it is "one of the highest paying retailers in Scotland" and it "regularly made enhancements to our industry-leading benefits as a part of the overall support we provide to our valued team members."

Apple has been attempting to ease concerns from retail staff over the last several months, encouraging store managers to be more open and direct with staff over their concerns and promising action to address them.

Article Link: Apple Store in Glasgow Makes History as First UK Store to Unionize

They not happy to received only £12 per hour?

For a day work, a worker can get £96

For me, this is aaaaaa lot

Not yet include bonus, allowance, commissions, and other benefits….

What they are asking for?

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
Yes, It's the velocity of money etc - the relatively lowly paid put their wages straight back into the (local) economy (they can't afford to save) which means more money moves around - which eventually means more people can afford Apple stuff etc. In my opinion it's better than more money going to the already wealthy who if they spend at all tend to drive up asset prices (property etc).

Retail job is rather easy.

No need very high education level, no OT and no extra work until late night;

No need stay outside under sun or rain. No need worry no sales close today.

But not many people can service customers, because of their own ego…and perception…

You need a white to service you like a retail, you better think twice

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
It's a sad day when Apple's sweat shops start unionizing.
Apple should close all stores and go online….but Apple choose to pour out more money to build beautiful store and maintain it

Speechless to see people doesn’t appreciate and just take it for granted

• Disagree
Reactions: Unami

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
It's a sad day when Apple's sweat shops start unionizing.
I don’t think Apple will sell less iPhone when they move all to online…something similar like DELL…

And Apple will save a lot money by closing their stores and cut off all the workers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.