Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodtimesss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2021
Apple Store, John Lewis or Very ?

I'm looking to buy iPhone 12 or 12pro

Very - iPhone 12 - £950 now discount for £875

Apple Store- 12pro 256gb- £1100 - 1 year Warranty
John Lewis - 12 pro 256gb - £1100 2 year guarantee included by John Lewis

Very is doing a good ideal and they don't accept return/ refund and i guess apple will cover 1 year Warranty even i bought it online from very.co.uk

John Lewis, extra year warranty at the same price as apple store, but not sure the warranty is the same as apple warranty.

Apple store - the safest place

I like to get 12pro more as like photography but the gap of £1100 vs £875 ( £225 is a lot )

Anyone help me please ! Thank you

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You get the same warranty with Apple that you do with John Lewis which is 2 years. Apple even replace after 2 years in my experience so I’d the price is similar, I’d go with Apple.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Are you very price conscious? We‘re now half way through the cycle. Often lots of great open box options from larger retailers on eBay, which allow returns.
or get discounted gift cards for John Lewis etc

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
2 years warranty with Apple? Not according to this:

2 years from date of purchase for Apple Watch Edition
1 year from date of purchase for all other Apple products
Apple are like any other electrical retailer and 24 months is the common period. I’ve had no issues with replacements up to 2 years and they’ll often replace and repair beyond that. If I have an iPhone on a 2 year contract, I expect the manufacturer to cover failures at least within that time frame and in fairness to Apple, they do. The sale of goods act ensures this too.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Apple are like any other electrical retailer and 24 months is the common period. I’ve had no issues with replacements up to 2 years and they’ll often replace and repair beyond that. If I have an iPhone on a 2 year contract, I expect the manufacturer to cover failures at least within that time frame and in fairness to Apple, they do. The sale of goods act ensures this too.

But they don’t. It’s 12 months when you buy from Apple. 12 months is the standard period not 24 months. Where do you get that from? John Lewis offer 24 months on a lot of their electrical goods as an incentive but standard country-wide its 12 months. There is an EU directive for 24 months but we (UK) only partially adopted it apparently.

I really hope I’m wrong but I can’t find anything stating 24 months is a legal requirement and offered by all companies. Apple don’t, Currys don’t, Argos don’t...

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I believe the UK has even longer periods of protection via its consumer law than other EU regions. But anything outside of the 12 months Apple warranty are likely that way automatically.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Sadly every retailer I’ve brought this up they still state 12 months not 24. This is even though countless places show 2 years as the time period. It’s frustrating that if it should be 2 years they can get away with saying 12 months.

In apple’s defence they helped me with my iPhone 5C a little outside 12 months. They even replaced the device at no charge when what they tried failed within a few weeks if I recall correctly.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I believe the UK has even longer periods of protection via its consumer law than other EU regions. But anything outside of the 12 months Apple warranty are likely that way automatically.
Theoretically up to 6 years, though to enforce it might well require a court case, and the onus is fully on you to prove the fault was present in the device from the beginning. Realistically you get Apple's one year standard warranty plus any goodwill an individual Apple employee might show you thereafter...

OP, personally I'd go John Lewis where possible, the extra warranty is nice to have, and often they are a bit cheaper than Apple.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
But they don’t. It’s 12 months when you buy from Apple. 12 months is the standard period not 24 months. Where do you get that from? John Lewis offer 24 months on a lot of their electrical goods as an incentive but standard country-wide its 12 months. There is an EU directive for 24 months but we (UK) only partially adopted it apparently.

I really hope I’m wrong but I can’t find anything stating 24 months is a legal requirement and offered by all companies. Apple don’t, Currys don’t, Argos don’t...
Apple will replace items that develop hardware faults after 12 months though and I have experience of this on a few items and so has my wife. Whether that official or not it happens which is good.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Theoretically up to 6 years, though to enforce it might well require a court case, and the onus is fully on you to prove the fault was present in the device from the beginning. Realistically you get Apple's one year standard warranty plus any goodwill an individual Apple employee might show you thereafter...

OP, personally I'd go John Lewis where possible, the extra warranty is nice to have, and often they are a bit cheaper than Apple.

When my wife’s Apple Watch broke at just over 2 years old, we took it to Apple and they confirmed it was broken and said they’d replace it free of charge if she’d bought it through them. She had in fact bought it at John Lewis but they offered to repair it for £200 because it was outside the 24 month warranty. John Lewis is a really good retailer, but Apple I have found are a bit more flexible when it comes to faults in my experience.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Apple will replace items that develop hardware faults after 12 months though and I have experience of this on a few items and so has my wife. Whether that official or not it happens which is good.

I have had a similar experience. A couple of years ago my wife’s iPad got knocked off the table by the cat, subsequently there was a large crack going across the screen.

I took it to Apple for a quote on a new screen. Once at the store one of the geniuses took the iPad out back(for inspection I presume), upon returning they informed me that they would replace the item free of charge. The iPad was a shade under 2 years old.

Something about the crack being a single one, I can’t remember exactly why they said. All in all I was so impressed by the service I’ve stuck with Apple ever since(for the most part).

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Both John Lewis and Apple are good. I'm fortunate to live near a store of each. Never heard of very.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
The problem with Apple beyond 12 months is inconsistency. Their policy is 12 months and you are entirely reliant on individual goodwill at stores. There are people as mentioned above who have got repair/replace up to and beyond two years but there are more that don't get such a positive experience. Check out posts all over this forum and they are regular.

If you want certainty you take out an extended warranty.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Supposedly the secret to getting service outside the one year warranty is simply to use the words "consumer law" and that activates it.

Also AppleCare chat seems to have quite a lot of ability to give out "satisfaction codes" (are what they are called, from recollection). Something like up to three years old, they'll give them out with little trouble.

R Kenny

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
Scotland
There is another Apple reseller in the UK - Stormfront. I have bought my last 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, Watch series 5 and Magic Keyboard at my local branch. Well laid out Apple merchandise and excellent service. They give a 3 year warranty on all hardware. There are 23 outlets across the UK.

Reactions: Psychbum

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
So I would go with JL or Apple but if you’re going to get Apple Care then just get it from Very. In terms of customer service if something goes wrong, Apple I think would be better. The problem with JL is that they will help you, but you have to take your phone, send it in and you’re without your phone or device for 2 weeks. It’s really annoying. Maybe they are different for phones. But i have bought headphones from JL and they take care of you but it’s a hassle compared to Apple.

goodtimesss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2021
Thank you guys !

I think i will go for iPhone 12 pro Max 512gb, but still not sure to buy in apple store or John Lewis ...
any good/ bad experience for iPhone re-pair ?

Thank you

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Thank you guys !

I think i will go for iPhone 12 pro Max 512gb, but still not sure to buy in apple store or John Lewis ...
any good/ bad experience for iPhone re-pair ?

Thank you
John Lewis send devices back to Apple for repair i.e what their CS support told me. I currently have an on going issue for an iPad bought from John Lewis.
Device is less than 6 months so to avoid mailing back and forth ill end up at genius bar once things get back to normal.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Samsung offer 2 years in the UK but I think Apple are just a standard year.

trailmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
Bit of a thread resurrection...

I've ordered an iPhone 13 Pro from Car Phone Warehouse, and another from JL. I ordered the latter because the delivery date on the CPW order confirmation was vague and I didn't want to risk waiting til late Oct/Nov.

Anyway, I asked CPW what happens if the phone develops a fault and they said I can take it one of their stores to get sent off OR I can go to an Apple store and have it done onsite (if possible). Is the latter true, or do I need AppleCare to ensure they try and fix it in-store?

I assume it's the same with JL albeit for 2 years.

Cheers

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Bit of a thread resurrection...

I've ordered an iPhone 13 Pro from Car Phone Warehouse, and another from JL. I ordered the latter because the delivery date on the CPW order confirmation was vague and I didn't want to risk waiting til late Oct/Nov.

Anyway, I asked CPW what happens if the phone develops a fault and they said I can take it one of their stores to get sent off OR I can go to an Apple store and have it done onsite (if possible). Is the latter true, or do I need AppleCare to ensure they try and fix it in-store?

I assume it's the same with JL albeit for 2 years.

Cheers
Apple offer a 1 year warranty on all their products regardless of where you bought them. So any faults that occur within the first year would be covered by this and you would have the choice of taking it back to CPW or JL or Apple. CPW and JL are likely to send it off to Apple anyway so it might be quicker to take it directly to Apple. After the first year if there are any issues you would need to deal with JL directly rather than Apple as Apple on provide a one year warranty. JL are providing the second year.

As for whether apple will fix it in store. Yes they attempt to fix on site if they can and if they can’t then they usually offer you a replacement. They do accept walk ins but you may have to wait until they can fit you in which is why it’s better to book an appointment with the Genius Bar prior to going into the store.

Reactions: trailmonkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.