Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
This should not be a part of the pickup process. Once given the phone, those that want help can go inside and stand in a different line. Pickup should be for picking up only.
I can see your point of view. I called my Apple store to enquire about dropping off my trade-in when picking up the new phone, and was told that along with trade/pickup, techs would also help with setup as well. Knowing that, I wasn’t surprised when I saw people taking advantage of that option; however, I recognize that most would not have been aware of this and might be frustrated.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Picked mine up in a Pittsburgh Apple store. Scheduled at 10 am and had no wait. I activated it in the store and was out within 20 min. Only issue was trading in my 11 Pro. There was some glitch in the system and it was going to be a 30 min wait, so I elected to do the trade in with Apple’s online system.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
I was in and out in about 2 minutes, no exaggeration. My window was 10:15-10:30, I got there exactly 10:30 on the dot and was out of there by 10:35 and that was WITH getting an extra lightning cable from the manager.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
This should not be a part of the pickup process. Once given the phone, those that want help can go inside and stand in a different line. Pickup should be for picking up only.
Usually once you purchase your phone and in need of help, the way that my local apple store is set up is if you need help with the set up, ie. transfer, etc, there is one table set up with just 1 or 2 tech only walking around. Usually the sales person will take them there and move on to the next customer in line. So it is part of the process for those who needs help.

kid84

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2017
Today my Apple Store experience was suck , but still was able to pick up the phone !

I have an window appoinment to pick up the phone I want later that day , I was walk-in in the morning but so busy so they gave me window time to comeback , reserved my 13PM with storage / color I want . Done

And when I came back , the lady in front door stop me and told me all model was sold and doesnt matter appoinement or not , no more 13PM available . Told her I get my appointment and she still said no . Request to speak with manager and another guys walk by with the ipad ask me whats going on , explained and show them ID with my name , and was told my storage 128 sold . And they gave me 256gb with 128gb price , and apologize for the misunderstand.

little hiccup but ....

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
I ordered a new iP13P on Tuesday and scheduled pickup for Saturday morning, since I work for a living. They fetched my device 15 minutes early and was out in less than 10. I choose to activate/transfer at home to minimize interaction with the unwashed masses.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
WOW! OP, we had a completely different experience! We arrived about 30 minutes early, planning to have to wait until our 9:15 (earliest available by the time the mil store page finally let me purchase!). Plus... due to hubby changing his mind on color or the phone he wanted... his 9:15 was cancelled and new color reordered with 12:15 pickup.

I also had ordered a case for pick up on Thursday... but of course didn't pick it up then.

Got there and there was no one in the reservations line. Waited about 3 minutes and was allowed to go in and pick up my 9:15, the case from the day before and hubby's 12:15!

Also spent several minutes looking at the cases and wallets and all the different combinations. we were out of the store by 9:14!

The ONLY glitch..... I walked over to look at the blue pro max to verify I didn't want to change out my silver and while I was away from hubby and the apple gal.... hubby called me back to ask about activation and I said NO I don't want it activated now cuz I have an shopping and and hour drive that I need my old phone still.... too late! she said she was changing it to activate when I turned it on... but my old phone already had no cellular! fortunately she hadn't done hubby's so I just had to hot spot him... but still a first world problem annoying issue. otherwise pick up and looking around was flawless and our apple gal was super pleasant!

Reactions: iHeartsteve
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.