Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As it has done for the past three years, Apple is once again recognizing December 1 as World AIDS Day at its retail locations by coloring their Apple logos red for the occasion. Several Apple Stores in the United States and the United Kingdom are expected to change the color of their logos, with images from Twitter showing that the company's store in Sydney, Australia has already adjusted its logo.

applestoresydney-800x449.png
The Apple Store in Sydney, Australia (Image credit: @AusNewsNetwork)

Last week, Apple announced a new campaign for World AIDS Day 2014 done in collaboration with (Product) RED which saw the launch of a special Apps for (RED) section in the App Store and a donation initiative. The Apps for (RED) section is active until December 7 and contains 25 well known apps with the proceeds benefiting the Global Fund to fight AIDS. All of Apple's customers who purchased a select Apple product on Friday, November 28 received a special (RED) iTunes gift card, and during December 1, Apple will donate a portion of every sale at its retail and online stores to the Global Fund to fight AIDS.

Apple sells a number of (Product) RED items where a percentage of the profits are donated to the Global Fund to fight AIDS. Throughout the past, those items have included iPod nanos and shuffles, iPad Smart Covers, iPhone Bumpers, iPhone cases, and more. This past June, (Product) RED announced that Apple had contributed $75 million to the Global Fund to fight AIDS.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Stores Once Again Coloring Logos Red in Recognition of World AIDS Day

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Nice one Apple. Already HIV has become a chronic illness rather than rapidly fatal. More awareness and money to research is fantastic to keep forging forward. Thumbs up.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Good for Apple.

I think people have forgotten how horrifying AIDS was in the 80's and 90's.

This level of charity is a wonderful thing

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
While the donation percentage is probably low, kudos to them.

Pretty lame that there are no Cyber Monday deals though...

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Nice one Apple. Already HIV has become a chronic illness rather than rapidly fatal. More awareness and money to research is fantastic to keep forging forward. Thumbs up.

More awareness is needed particularly now that people think it's a benign or non-existent disease, the rates of infection are actually beginning to increase again in the western world.

Considering how easy it is to avoid getting HIV then I don't understand why people just don't practice safe sex particularly with partners they don't know. HIV is for life, not to mention the rest of the STDS you can avoid simply by observing, using common sense, and wearing a condom on your dong if you don't know who you're sleeping with.

We've all done it, but there's not really any excuse for not practicing safety first.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Kudos to Apple for giving back.

On another note. I find it sad that a serious global health issue is considered a controversial socio-political topic, and is subject to stricter moderation on this forum.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
It's good that Apple continues AIDS awareness, the battle might be won but the WAR against AIDS is far from over.:cool:

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
I applaud Apple's efforts. But reality today is that most people don't remember the horrors of infections & deaths in the 80s/90s and many people even in the U.S. just casually treat HIV as a treatable disease. Some actually spread it deliberately for the purposes of unprotected sex.

This is a growing problem among gay youth and drug users with this attitude. That it don't matter anymore. There are pills, medications for it. Lackluster attitude.

There needs to be a new campaign in the west to stop this notion.
Truth be told, even though you'll never die, you have all kinds of lingering health issues from HIV and your life span will still be much shorter because you're never really cured. But when you're 25 years old, you don't think like that. But you'll pay for it when you don't reach 60 like your parents did. :(

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
For those who are unaware of AIDS day, it is simply more-accurately-colored-apple day.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
...Several Apple Stores in the United States and the United Kingdom are expected to change the color of their logos...

So why only change the logo color for several stores and not all? Seems Apple is all-in on this global effort, I would think this is automatic. Strange.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I applaud Apple's efforts. But reality today is that most people don't remember the horrors of infections & deaths in the 80s/90s and many people even in the U.S. just casually treat HIV as a treatable disease. Some actually spread it deliberately for the purposes of unprotected sex.

This is a growing problem among gay youth and drug users with this attitude. That it don't matter anymore. There are pills, medications for it. Lackluster attitude.

There needs to be a new campaign in the west to stop this notion.
Truth be told, even though you'll never die, you have all kinds of lingering health issues from HIV and your life span will still be much shorter because you're never really cured. But when you're 25 years old, you don't think like that. But you'll pay for it when you don't reach 60 like your parents did. :(

You're right on with this. People need to remember what it was like.

Way back one of my first jobs was working at one of the early few pharmacies in all NYC that sold Crixivan, an AIDS drug. Most of the people that came in were young gay mean literally being eaten alive by HIV/AIDS. It was a horrible thing to see up close when I was so young myself.

People forget, and they really shouldn't. HIV/AIDS is a horrifying thing to face and live with, and there is still a chance you might not live long at all.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Kudos

Kudos to Apple for finding a social cause and going all in. Now if there were just a couple of other large companies doing the same for cancer or diabetes...

Google, here's your chance. I'd switch to Android if I thought it would help cure my diabetes or someone else's cancer.

Last edited:

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
A topic so controversial it must be locked into the forbidden forum!!!

:eek:

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
...Several Apple Stores in the United States and the United Kingdom are expected to change the color of their logos...

So why only change the logo color for several stores and not all? Seems Apple is all-in on this global effort, I would think this is automatic. Strange.

I suspect that it's because it either means changing the plastic on the front of the sign or putting filters over the lights illuminating it. Either way it's a pain in the *** to do and takes time and money, and then has to be changed back on Tuesday. My guess is the stores that are higher profile and bringing in more income are doing this first.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Why is this even in PRSI?

Because there are still a lot of people who do not understand that it is none of their business what other peoples sexual preference is.

We are all on this earth for a brief moment looking for happiness.

One would think this should not even be an issue in 2014.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Big thumbs up for your continual support of Product Red. I love the accessories and products.

And also a big "Boo" for being a cheapskate in regards to Black Friday and Cyber Monday, Apple is one company that can support this worthy cause and also offer deals to its customers.

If you can justify throwing all that money for "Beats" your can give some to a worthy cause and your loyal customers ;) poor poor form.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
As a Type I diabetic, I don't wish a "treatable" disease on anyone. To this, I say that I wish the best of luck to those fighting this to find a cure.

However, going from a death sentence to a treatable disease is a huge step in the right direction, as it was in 1924 for diabetes.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Because there are still a lot of people who do not understand that it is none of their business what other peoples sexual preference is.
Actually it does become their business when their sexual activity spreads diseases like this. I just hope that if I get a blood transfusion in the future its not tainted with HIV because some idiot couldn't keep it in his pants or at least practiced safe sex.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
You're right on with this. People need to remember what it was like.

Way back one of my first jobs was working at one of the early few pharmacies in all NYC that sold Crixivan, an AIDS drug. Most of the people that came in were young gay mean literally being eaten alive by HIV/AIDS. It was a horrible thing to see up close when I was so young myself.

People forget, and they really shouldn't. HIV/AIDS is a horrifying thing to face and live with, and there is still a chance you might not live long at all.

People forget the 80s/90s HIV was almost as bad as today's Ebola. You just didn't die as fast, but it looked like the life was being drained out of you just the same way. That should not be forgotten even though I know many healthy people with HIV today that are just fine with medications. But even with that your lifespan is diminished and attention to the disease should not go away.

I think the RED program should also concentrate on not just Africa, but the casual nature that people look at HIV today in the US. Sure it's sometimes an STD, but most STDs are curable. HIV is still never cured. It's simply just hiding within you. Any sickness you get and it comes out of nowhere to diminish your recovery. Lifespan is still diminished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.