Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Because there are still a lot of people who do not understand that it is none of their business what other peoples sexual preference is.

We are all on this earth for a brief moment looking for happiness.

One would think this should not even be an issue in 2014.

Did you post this on the right thread?

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I applaud Apple's efforts. But reality today is that most people don't remember the horrors of infections & deaths in the 80s/90s and many people even in the U.S. just casually treat HIV as a treatable disease. Some actually spread it deliberately for the purposes of unprotected sex.

This is a growing problem among gay youth and drug users with this attitude. That it don't matter anymore. There are pills, medications for it. Lackluster attitude.

There needs to be a new campaign in the west to stop this notion.
Truth be told, even though you'll never die, you have all kinds of lingering health issues from HIV and your life span will still be much shorter because you're never really cured. But when you're 25 years old, you don't think like that. But you'll pay for it when you don't reach 60 like your parents did. :(

Careful there - HIV still develops into AIDS and kills a percentage of those who are infected in the US and around the world.

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/112802/1/9789241507196_eng.pdf?ua=1

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I can't believe this had to be put in PRSI just because some people still draw a dotted line between this disease and one's sexual preference. Happy almost 2015 everyone...

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Seriously, why the hell is this in PRSI... This is borderline offensive for a group of people.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Yes... because you saving a few bucks on an iPad is much more important than trying to cure a deadly disease....

I doubt Apple would donate less money if they discounted the price by $50 or did the gift card promo again.

Off-topic but I effectively got an Air 2 for $345 anyway.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I can't believe this had to be put in PRSI just because some people still draw a dotted line between this disease and one's sexual preference. Happy almost 2015 everyone...

I was just about to post the same thing. Pathetic MacRumors, just like when you put Tim Cook coming out thread in here. In doing so, you're part of the problem.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Kudos to Apple for finding a social cause and going all in. Now if there were just a couple of other large companies doing the same for cancer or diabetes...

Google, here's your chance. I'd switch to Android if I thought it would help cure my diabetes or someone else's cancer.

They should make a donation to diabetes research every time someone rents Cocoon on itunes.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
It's alarming seeing how many people think that HIV is no longer a health risk and taking some pills solves the problem.

Even if you will live longer, and not die within 10 years or less of getting it, it's a horrible desease. I personally don't know anyone with HIV, but I must imagine that it takes a very hard hit in your personal life, even more so in your love life. And it even puts your possible future children at risk if you are a woman.

Hopefully a cure will come shortly. But until then, we should still teach people that unprotected sex is a very irresponsible thing to do.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
OK Apple you can stop spamming me about RED. Multiple emails and now App Store notifications? The more you spam the more I'm turned off and the less likely I am to make a purchase.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
I suspect that it's because it either means changing the plastic on the front of the sign or putting filters over the lights illuminating it. Either way it's a pain in the *** to do and takes time and money, and then has to be changed back on Tuesday. My guess is the stores that are higher profile and bringing in more income are doing this first.

I guess... IMO it's all or nothing. Apple's got the $$$ to make it happen.

----------

They should make a donation to diabetes research every time someone rents Cocoon on itunes.

Or perhaps donates to the AARP?

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I was just about to post the same thing. Pathetic MacRumors, just like when you put Tim Cook coming out thread in here. In doing so, you're part of the problem.
Exactly. Put it in the main thread, have moderators delete the douche bags with asinine comments, and let's try to move forward.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo

But I have to think this is why Apple makes a big deal of this. We don't see them making a big public spectacle with Cancer, right?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Actually it does become their business when their sexual activity spreads diseases like this. I just hope that if I get a blood transfusion in the future its not tainted with HIV because some idiot couldn't keep it in his pants or at least practiced safe sex.

There are major fallacies your argument. Yes, the disease is more prevalent among gay men, but it's not as though straight couples are unable to transmit it. In fact is it lesbians who are at the lowest risk of contracted HIV and most other sexually transmitted diseases. And as for blood transfusions: modern protocols require that all donations be tested for a whole host of possible diseases, including HIV.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Red is an annual reminder of how I long for the days when I could get laid with abandon and free of protective measures. That is what's tragic about the whole thing. From now until perpetuity, future generations will never know such freedom. That's what makes movies like Boogie Nights such a fantasy.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Yes, the disease is more prevalent among gay men, but it's not as though straight couples are unable to transmit it.
Take the blinders off. Gay men are a major component in the spread of HIV. Straight couples are a bi-product. Also, the testing of HIV in blood samples is not perfect. I work in a hospital, HIV transmission through blood transfusions still happen.

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Actually it does become their business when their sexual activity spreads diseases like this. I just hope that if I get a blood transfusion in the future its not tainted with HIV because some idiot couldn't keep it in his pants or at least practiced safe sex.

You are ignorant. Educate yourself, please

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Apple products purchased yesterday shipped with red Apple stickers...

Attachments

• IMG_0063.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 141

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Take the blinders off. Gay men are a major component in the spread of HIV. Straight couples are a bi-product. Also, the testing of HIV in blood samples is not perfect. I work in a hospital, HIV transmission through blood transfusions still happen.

So where do you live? Is the global incidence of HIV transmission reduced to gay men or....?

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
I like the color red for the Apple logo. It looks awesome!

Like they say "a juicy red apple is nice, but, not every apple is Red". :p

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Red logo

I picked up my ship to store order today. The red Apple logo was with the package. Very cool. I Like it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.