Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
N95 masks say on the box they don’t work for viruses. That’s a pretty damning inditement of this faulty reasoning many are bitterly clinging to.

No protection, not partial, none. It’s the completely wrong thing for the job you are trying to do.

But please, if you wear a mask, make sure to take lots of pictures and heavily advertise these on social media for future clowning purposes. When that ramps up it going to be amazing!

“When in the face of a crisis, some humans keep calm and try to research and reason thru the problem. However other humans, herd together to enschew logic, inventing whole new superstitions, talismans and even costumes based entirely from stuff they heard 12th hand on TV between snack breaks and sitcoms.”

Care to share some evidence on your claims? Because the current literature suggest that N95 are quite effective [1][2][3][4] at protecting the wearer against viruses (and bacteria).

They can't claim on the box provide virus protection because it can't be 100% guaranteed due to fit and environmental factors, but they're more than enough to make a substantial difference. It has been very commonly used by doctors treating infectious disease long before the pandemic.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
The mask doesn't protect you or others. Covid virus particles are so small that trying to get through your mask is like a speck of dust trying to get through a chainlink fence. In other words, getting through all of our worthless masks is the easiest thing the Covid virus ever did, which is why places with and without mask mandates had statistically no difference at all in Covid cases.
Viruses are tiny enough to get through masks, sure, but most viruses you'll come across in a infectious respiratory disease will come in the form of droplets containing the virus being expelled by the infected. Masks are very capable at handling those.

Last edited:

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Viruses will evolve as it's replicated across hosts. Variants that are too lethal will end up disappearing because their hosts will die quickly before it can be spread widely. On the other hand, variants that can co-exist with the host (at least for a good amount of time) will be more successful at becoming the dominant variant.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Vaccinated here, went to a party with over 50 people this weekend, no one wearing mask. Host required everyone to be vaccinated although he didn’t do any checks. It was just weird to be in each other’s face after a year. If you somehow get COVID, it’s because you likely didn’t get vaccinated. Everyone is responsible for their behaviors. But we can’t keep doing the mask thing for another year, it’s getting ridiculous especially for public transportation and supermarkets. I did my part, I shouldn’t be restricted for others ignorance considering the vaccine is available so much abundance.
Good on you that you got vaccinated, but know that the vaccine doesn't prevent you from actually getting infected, it's just that you will never develop any (serious) symptoms if you do. You can still spread the virus, although there is some evidence to suggest you will be less infectious.

But in any case, it makes sense to do away with the mask mandate in the US. Masks should go away once herd immunity is reached in theory, but if everyone who wants one gets it, it's pointless to wait for those who won't ever get one.

Yokon54

Suspended
Feb 5, 2021
Good on you that you got vaccinated, but know that the vaccine doesn't prevent you from actually getting infected, it's just that you will never develop any (serious) symptoms if you do. You can still spread the virus, although there is some evidence to suggest you will be less infectious.

But in any case, it makes sense to do away with the mask mandate in the US. Masks should go away once herd immunity is reached in theory, but if everyone who wants one gets it, it's pointless to wait for those who won't ever get one.
Vaccinated people spreading the virus may be possible in some unlikely scenario, but operating as if that is a major thing would be pretty insane. Vaccinated people spreading the virus hasn’t shown to be any kind of real world threat. There isn’t evidence for it. Has it happened? Sure. Anything can happen, but it’s not any large scale issue or how we should make policy. The evidence is the vaccine is highly effective in protecting both spread and infection.

As you said, we’re never going to be 100% vaccinated. Cases continue to drop because natural immunity takes care of most of the anti-vax people.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Listen ?

I want masks ? with Apple logo on them.

I want them in 7 colors.

They should be like the really good ones Uniqlo sells.

Covid or not, I want these masks.

Because people spread disease and pollutions sucks.

Reactions: sfrangu

Yokon54

Suspended
Feb 5, 2021
To protect my under 12 year old kid? Wearing a frigging mask that I've been wearing for the last 14 months is a small price to pay to reduce the risk, however small.
Ah yes, the “for my kid safety” argument ender. Under 12 kids are virtually zero risk for Covid overall and you spreading it to a child after being vaccinated is probably the most unlikely scenario possible. Unless you literally put your kid in a bubble to avoid any exposure, you wearing a mask after being vaccinated is like 2 millionth on the list of things to worry about. If your kid is in contact with anyone whose vaccine status is unknown, your efforts are even more irrelevant. But do you.

Children having any serious impact from covid is literally less of a concern than vaccine complications.

Reactions: jk73

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Ah yes, the “for my kid safety” argument ender. Under 12 kids are virtually zero risk for Covid overall and you spreading it to a child after being vaccinated is probably the most unlikely scenario possible. Unless you literally put your kid in a bubble to avoid any exposure, you wearing a mask after being vaccinated is like 2 millionth on the list of things to worry about. If your kid is in contact with anyone whose vaccine status is unknown, your efforts are even more irrelevant. But do you.

Children having any serious impact from covid is literally less of a concern than vaccine complications.
Virtually zero is not the same as zero. If wearing a mask reduces the risk even further, what's the harm in wanting to protect my own kid?

I know someone whose 7-year old became seriously sick and required hospitalization from COVID. Statistically speaking, my kid may not require hospitalization, but why take a chance? In just few months, the vaccine will be approved for younger kids. Wearing a mask indoor or very crowded outdoor venues until then seems to be a very small price to pay.

I don't get how you Trumpers once exhorted virtues of Trump warp speeding the vaccine development, only to poopoo the vaccine once approved, arguing it's not safe because it was rushed. And with all those "freedom" argument, why the heck are you telling me I shouldn't wear mask? Frigging hypocrites.

• Disagree

Yokon54

Suspended
Feb 5, 2021
Virtually zero is not the same as zero. If wearing a mask reduces the risk even further, what's the harm in wanting to protect my own kid?

I know someone whose 7-year old became seriously sick and required hospitalization from COVID. Statistically speaking, my kid may not require hospitalization, but why take a chance? In just few months, the vaccine will be approved for younger kids. Wearing a mask indoor or very crowded outdoor venues until then seems to be a very small price to pay.

I don't get how you Trumpers once exhorted virtues of Trump warp speeding the vaccine development, only to poopoo the vaccine once approved, arguing it's not safe because it was rushed. And with all those "freedom" argument, why the heck are you telling me I shouldn't wear mask? Frigging hypocrites.
Virtually zero is the argument for the vaccine too. You took a small risk getting that, so you are just selectively hysterical. We’re done.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Virtually zero is the argument for the vaccine too. You took a small risk getting that, so you are just selectively hysterical. We’re done.
Wow, you Trumpers are just impossible. What harm am I bringing by wearing a mask to protect unvaccinated like yourself or those that are not eligible? If it wasn't for the vaccinated population, US will be on yet another wave. Instead of a simple thank you or even respecting other people's freedom to wear mask, you are insulting the considerate population.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Vaccinated people spreading the virus may be possible in some unlikely scenario, but operating as if that is a major thing would be pretty insane. Vaccinated people spreading the virus hasn’t shown to be any kind of real world threat. There isn’t evidence for it. Has it happened? Sure. Anything can happen, but it’s not any large scale issue or how we should make policy. The evidence is the vaccine is highly effective in protecting both spread and infection.

As you said, we’re never going to be 100% vaccinated. Cases continue to drop because natural immunity takes care of most of the anti-vax people.
There is evidence from the PHE that suggests the vaccine will reduce your transmission rate by only around half, which obviously a lot better, but not a non-threat either. There is also evidence that the reduction can be as high as 90% coming out of Israel, so we don't know for sure just yet. Vaccines don't protect you against asymptomatic infections at all by the way, it only protects you against symptoms because your body will know how to fight it. That generally goes for vaccines for diseases of all types. Whatever the case, I don't have an issue with wearing a mask until first and second dose numbers are more or less the same for my area.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Wow, you Trumpers are just impossible. What harm am I bringing by wearing a mask to protect unvaccinated like yourself or those that are not eligible? If it wasn't for the vaccinated population, US will be on yet another wave. Instead of a simple thank you or even respecting other people's freedom to wear mask, you are insulting the considerate population.

No problems here. Heck I’m for mandatory vaccinations. Plus always vote Republican (couldn’t care less about trump). IMO give people a fine if they can’t comply for no good reason. Our corrupt leaders need to heed the constitution and promote the general welfare of the nation.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
When's the last flu season that killed over 600,000 people DURING a time of unprecedented lockdowns? Not to mention the more contagious variants now, like Delta. SARS-CoV-2 is not like an annual flu. It's also not the end of the world, but it's clearly much more deadly.
In fact it is less deadly than the flu (in % of infected that is) but it is much more contagiou. Regular flu is also more deadly in younger individuals and cv19 more in the eldelrly population.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
In fact it is less deadly than the flu (in % of infected that is) but it is much more contagiou. Regular flu is also more deadly in younger individuals and cv19 more in the eldelrly population.
This is ignoring medical costs, hospitalization, recovery and lingering side-effects due to covid-19.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
IFR is a strict statistic measure which accounts for how deadly it is in % of infected. In Sweden IFR is currently 0.09% in under 70. Not many deceases have an ifr as low as that. There are side effects of living as well. The vaccines have potential side effects as well. A friend has so much joint pain 8 weeks after the second dose. She is a nurse, her workplace is really considering the vaccine as cause or trigger.

• Sad

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012

Do you allow your kids to ride in a car? Statistically, that was more deadly for people under 30 in 2020 than COVID.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Do you allow your kids to ride in a car? Statistically, that was more deadly for people under 30 in 2020 than COVID.
Yes, but I make sure everyone wears seat belts.

What is the harm in doing what you can to lower the risk even further? Statistically, my kid might be fine. But at the same time, my kid can statistically become infected and become seriously ill or spread to others.

So answer me this. How is my family wearing mask to lower the risk even further hurting you or anyone around us? Why is that bothering you so much?

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Yes, but I make sure everyone wears seat belts.

What is the harm in doing what you can to lower the risk even further? Statistically, my kid might be fine. But at the same time, my kid can statistically become infected and become seriously ill or spread to others.

So answer me this. How is my family wearing mask to lower the risk even further hurting you or anyone around us? Why is that bothering you so much?

But riding in a car while wearing a seat belt is still far more deadly for people under 30 than COVID, so you’re being irrational when it comes to risk assessment — and, worse, passing that irrational fear on to your kids. That’s the point here.

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
But riding in a car while wearing a seat belt is still far more deadly for people under 30 than COVID, so you’re being irrational when it comes to risk assessment — and, worse, passing that irrational fear on to your kids. That’s the point here.
This ignores opportunity costs.

Presumably one drives around with a seatbelt to accomplish necessary tasks. Getting to work, going to school, getting groceries, etc.

Driving might contain more risk of death, but it also carries more relative benefit in exchange for that increased risk. Wearing a mask—political axe grinding aside—is a minor practical cost in exchange for the incremental risk reduction.

Not so irrational.

• Disagree

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
This ignores opportunity costs.

Presumably one drives around with a seatbelt to accomplish necessary tasks. Getting to work, going to school, getting groceries, etc.

Driving might contain more risk of death, but it also carries more relative benefit in exchange for that increased risk. Wearing a mask—political axe grinding aside—is a minor practical cost in exchange for the incremental risk reduction.

Not so irrational.

This is hilarious. I doubt more than 10% of the miles driven in the U.S. are “necessary.” Meanwhile, it was settled science for 60 years that cloth and paper masks are entirely useless for asymptomatic people. Masks are only useful for sick people, who shouldn’t be out and around anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.