Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitkat99333

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
You can do 2-4 studio displays with one cable “kind of”.

Apple supports DSC so most thunderbolt 4 docks handle 2 5k displays ok one cable.

Then there is a ivanky fusion max
Dock which uses 2 thunderbolt ports on the Mac but one cable. This can handle 2-4 ASD (or even Pro Display XDR) on one cable but two ports on one head.

The other option which I did is use a cheap 2 port thunderbolt extension

This allows you to chain up to 4 asd or prod display xdr through having to make one physical connection, by combining docks into The one connector.

I have one asd directly in the on its own and then 2 more via the thunderbolt dock for 3 displays.

Last edited:
Reactions: gabicava83

gabicava83

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
You can do 2-4 studio displays with one cable “kind of”.

Apple supports DSC so most thunderbolt 4 docks handle 2 5k displays ok one cable.

Then there is a ivanky fusion max
Dock which uses 2 thunderbolt ports on the Mac but one cable. This can handle 2-4 ASD (or even Pro Display XDR) on one cable but two ports on one head.

The other option which I did is use a cheap 2 port thunderbolt extension

This allows you to chain up to 4 asd or prod display xdr through having to make one physical connection, by combining docks into The one connector.

I have some asd directly in the extended and one thunderbolt dock for 3 displays.
Thanks very much, I will check it out :)

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Finally got my 3rd ASD all set-up.

Some quick iPhone snapshots of my set-up and a couple common configurations for Photoshop and Illustrator...

Choreo_Office_01.jpg
Choreo_Office_02.jpg
Choreo_Office_03.jpg

frame309

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2023
@frame309 - Thank you for your post. I'm planning to buy an ASD, so it's frustrating to hear that the quality isn't up to par. Have you thought about getting a refurbished ASD from Apple's refurb store? Supposedly, Apple's refurbished hardware undergoes stringent quality checks.

Also, have you considered Eizo's monitors? Eizo doesn't offer a 5K model, but their monitors are widely used by graphics professionals and have a reputation for being the best on the market.

Unfortunately, there are no refurb options where I live. But I also think that Apple doesn't see a problem with the quality of the panels and considers it "good enough", especially because so few complain.

I haven't considered any other monitor as I prefer a true retina quality for both work and private use, and I still hope to find a panel that I will enjoy using

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Unfortunately, there are no refurb options where I live. But I also think that Apple doesn't see a problem with the quality of the panels and considers it "good enough", especially because so few complain.

I haven't considered any other monitor as I prefer a true retina quality for both work and private use, and I still hope to find a panel that I will enjoy using

I bought one (just one) - and its perfectly fine. I hate to criticize, but maybe you just need to lower expectations to a more reasonable level. No mass produced item is going to be perfect in all aspects.

Reactions: drrich2

frame309

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2023
I bought one (just one) - and its perfectly fine. I hate to criticize, but maybe you just need to lower expectations to a more reasonable level. No mass produced item is going to be perfect in all aspects.
Glad you found a perfectly fine one on the first try.

It's quite hard for me to lower my expectations tbh. My 2019 iMac has a better panel than all the ASDs I tried. I even contacted Apple to show them the "least" problematic display from all I tried, and the technician's first reaction was, "Oh, that's a really bad dirty screen effect". This leads me to the conclusion that Apple needs to increase the quality of what it sells to customers.

Reactions: Wheel_D

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm not sure the TS4 would solve it - I think that will just turn three cables in to two. But I'm not sure.

This is part of the reason I splurged and bought a base M1M Studio . . .
Correct. It would turn 3 cables into 2 cables. I've got a TS4. My side monitors are connected through the TS4 (along with ethernet, bookshelf speakers and two T7 Shield SSDs) which is plugged into one of my MBP's TB4 ports), and the center display is plugged into one of the MBP's other TB4 ports. The center monitor also has the keyboard and mouse plugged into it.

I did it this way so when one or more of my kids come to stay with us, they can plug their laptops into just the center monitor and make use of an external display, the external keyboard and mouse, and not have to worry about my SSDs automatically mounting on their computers. And since their machines don't support three external displays anyway, they don't need the other two side displays to be connected anyway. And since they're not accessing my NAS, they don't really need ethernet, either (our wifi is fast enough for them).

gabicava83

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
All the monitors arrived last week and only managed to set one up so far.

It's the one with the height adjustable stand.

So far, I can't believe the packaging. That's some amazing stuff right there...

Having the monitor next to the macbook, you can really see a difference on how good the MacBook screen is.

I noticed the audio was awesome, screen quality was sharp but the blacks weren't really black (spoilt by MBP) and well, when people said the camera was bad, I didn't think it would be this bad. Sure the lighting isn't great but the camera on the MBP on tonight performance must be around 80% better.

Overall, looks great. I'll plug in the other two and see (these have LX stands)

I'll make some calls tomorrow through the day and see how the mics/video is, specially on teams.

gabicava83

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Still only using one display. The camera is much better with lots of light but still a bit pants. What resolution do you guys run it at, the default? 2560x1440, or something like 3200 x1800 ? The stand feels nice, adjustable height is nice. I think this will be more stable than the vesa screens.

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016

It seems you're living in a different country, yes? May I ask where?

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
My Apple Studio Display. Connected to an M2 Mac mini for personal usage and an M2 15" MBA for work. I have to swap the TB cable but it's not much effort. The mouse is connected to the monitor as is ethernet. The keyboard has both computers paired and is a single button press to switch. The only downside is that to get the monitor to sleep I have to unplug everything or power it off at the wall.

DSCF3978.jpg

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
I hope the next ASD can handle 2 computers and make it easy to switch between them. Not by moving the TB cable, with a button on the display or some keystroke.

Reactions: colodane and LiE_

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Won’t happen. Apple long dropped multi input support.
That’s dumb of them, especially with them making the iPad compatible with the ASD, would be nice to at least be able to switch between a Mac and iPad with ease. But considering how many people work from home now and how they can have a work Mac and a personal Mac, it would make total sense to make that work better than it does now.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
That’s dumb of them, especially with them making the iPad compatible with the ASD, would be nice to at least be able to switch between a Mac and iPad with ease. But considering how many people work from home now and how they can have a work Mac and a personal Mac, it would make total sense to make that work better than it does now.
Sidecar doesn't work for you?

balnazzar

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2023
One quick question for those who own a Studio Display and maybe found a way to work with both a windows pc and a mac.
Is there some thunderbolt switch (or equivalent) by which one can connect both the windows pc and the mac to the studio display without continuously detaching/attaching cables?

BONUS question:
In your opinion, will we see an OLED studio display anytime soon?

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
One quick question for those who own a Studio Display and maybe found a way to work with both a windows pc and a mac.
Is there some thunderbolt switch (or equivalent) by which one can connect both the windows pc and the mac to the studio display without continuously detaching/attaching cables?

BONUS question:
In your opinion, will we see an OLED studio display anytime soon?

I never found a great solution.

You could read through this:

I’m guessing no OLED any time soon.

ToastedCashew

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2023
Has anyone on this thread purchased an ASD from Apple's refurb store? If so, what have you experienced? I'd be particularly interested to know how the performance compares to a new ASD.
My refurb ASD's board died, wouldn't turn on. Thankfully it was within warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.