Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
DPI is overrated. The G3223Q I have (144hz, 4k, 32 inches) is only 137 dpi, but is very clear. Maybe for extreme photo editing and such, where you are zooming in alot, it matters, but not for most people.
Text on macOS looks slightly blurry at 4K 32 inch due to how scaling works. I have both an ASD and a 32 inch 4K OLED, and for the 32 inch to look good I have pushed it further back on my desk. There is no comparison when it comes to text. While you can get used to the lower pixel density, IMO 218+ ppi is a necessity for macOS. Windows looks much better at 4K (125% scaling) than macOS because of the scaling differences.

Below is a link where someone explains some of the issues caused by how macOS scaling works.

Last edited:
Reactions: miemo and Rafterman

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Guys I know no one knows but to add to the million times this has been asked;

Is it worth buying an ASD now?

I’m fed up of crappy plastic monitors. I could go for that nice Dell or BenQ but I do video calls all the time.

I have an M2 MBA. Is the ASD camera as good as the M2 MBA camera?
I believe it's still worth buying, but I recommend buying a refurb, discounted, or used. I purchased a refurb and have no regrets. There are downsides to the ASD, and it would greatly benefit from a Mini LED upgrade, but as someone else already said, this is currently the only option if you want a 27 inch retina display with a built-in camera. I use the camera for Zoom calls and have no complaints, but it isn't a great quality camera. I wouldn't recommend using it to record YouTube videos, but for conference calls it is fine.

I sometimes use a 32 inch 4K when I need more space -- and I now have a 32 inch 4K OLED that I love -- but text on the ASD looks much better in comparison, and that is why people want an ASD. I hope Apple releases new displays soon as the current lineup is lacking when it comes to contrast ratio and refresh rate, but I haven't seen any leaks from the supply chain that indicate an imminent release.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Text on macOS looks slightly blurry at 4K 32 inch due to how scaling works. I have both an ASD and a 32 inch 4K OLED, and for the 32 inch to look good I have pushed it further back on my desk. There is no comparison when it comes to text. While you can get used to the lower pixel density, IMO 218+ ppi is a necessity for macOS. Windows looks much better at 4K (125% scaling) than macOS because of the scaling differences.

Below is a link where someone explains some of the issues caused by how macOS scaling works.

I read the article, interesting. But to be honest, my eyes really don't see a difference, but other people may be more sensitive. To me, text is crisp and clear and scrolling is smooth (144hz effect maybe?). No moire or other artifacts the article describes. I run it at the "default" of 1080p though (at a distance of 18-24 inches), so I don't know if that makes it look better.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
DPI is overrated. The G3223Q I have (144hz, 4k, 32 inches) is only 137 dpi, but is very clear. Maybe for extreme photo editing and such, where you are zooming in alot, it matters, but not for most people.
I would argue the opposite. My eyes and head get tired quickly reading on low-res displays, regardless of zoom level. I can scroll pdfs all day on retina displays without issue.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I read the article, interesting. But to be honest, my eyes really don't see a difference, but other people may be more sensitive. To me, text is crisp and clear and scrolling is smooth (144hz effect maybe?). No moire or other artifacts the article describes. I run it at the "default" of 1080p though (at a distance of 18-24 inches), so I don't know if that makes it look better.
The 1080p setting is retina quality for a 4K display, and text does look good in that case. Text becomes blurry only when using the non-integer scaling options.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
A bright retina-like display is the top priority for me with screens. Anything below that and the text looks really blurry and low quality. Its one of the reasons I like the ASD so much.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Well, I bought one for two hour delivery today. I'll have to see for myself if it really is better or not. I wish it was 32 inch though. But $5,000 for the XDR? Um, no.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lava Lamp Freak

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
i'll tell yas, I still can't tell the dif between 140 vs 240 dpi. But I do like its other features, so I'm keeping it.

I bought the base model, educational, for $1500. I don't have glare problems, so no nano (plus, I heard the nano coating makes it a tiny bit less sharp). I briefly considered the tilting and elevating base, but basically, I would have been paying $400 to move the monitor up or down 4 inches. Something that even the cheapest monitors allow for free. Come on Apple, even for you, that is ridiculous. Fortunately, the base model is at perfect eye level for my desk setup.

Last edited:

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Fair points all, thanks for answering.

I’d be turning off centre stage. I do need the camera most days, but I also read text and build some websites, so all of that needs sharpness. I’m coming from a 1080p monitor too… fed up of the resolution vs my MBA M2.

I definitely want a camera in a monitor, and love great product design, hence why the ASD is pulling me in.

Right now, Amazon allows for pay monthly over 5 months, not on finance, so that’s way more manageable. I’d do that because I won’t notice it as much as £1300 upfront!

Reactions: Lava Lamp Freak

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
You know, I was thinking about the variable height version of the Studio. The non-adjustable is a good height for me, but two inches lower would have been perfect, despite the ridiculous $400. But I looked at the specs, and much to my surprise, the monitor at its lowest position is exactly the same height as the non-adjustable one - 18.8 inches. It only goes higher, not lower. (23 inches max). Another baffling Apple decision. $400 might have been OK IF it could go lower and higher AND allowed it to rotate 90 degrees.

Glad I didn't spend the extra money. Plan B - a slightly higher chair.

Reactions: drrich2

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You know, I was thinking about the variable height version of the Studio. The non-adjustable is a good height for me, but two inches lower would have been perfect, despite the ridiculous $400. But I looked at the specs, and much to my surprise, the monitor at its lowest position is exactly the same height as the non-adjustable one - 18.8 inches. It only goes higher, not lower. (23 inches max). Another baffling Apple decision. $400 might have been OK IF it could go lower and higher AND allowed it to rotate 90 degrees.

Glad I didn't spend the extra money. Plan B - a slightly higher chair.
VESA version plus a good arm.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I believe it's still worth buying, but I recommend buying a refurb, discounted, or used.

The VESA mount version is typically tough to find at any kind of discount though. Best Buy had a really great sale on Apple Studio Displays earlier this year. The VESA mount version was either excluded or sold out immediately.

Even at full price, you'll sometimes only be able to find the non VESA mount versions. I had to wait a few weeks to pick one of those up earlier this year.

filmgirl

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Seattle, WA
The VESA mount version is typically tough to find at any kind of discount though. Best Buy had a really great sale on Apple Studio Displays earlier this year. The VESA mount version was either excluded or sold out immediately.

Even at full price, you'll sometimes only be able to find the non VESA mount versions. I had to wait a few weeks to pick one of those up earlier this year.
Yeah, that's the rub -- I only buy VESA-mounted stuff because I prefer the flexibility of moving stuff back, up, or even putting my monitor in vertical mode (same for my iMac), and I like the clean look of Ergatron's arms -- but getting one at a discount is basically impossible. People have said Apple will do the conversion at the Apple Store, but I'm pretty sure whatever that cost would be would negate any discount you get.

But for me, the extra few minutes of attaching the plate to a monitor arm is worth not being able to adjust as I would like. For my money, I would always prefer to get an Apple Studio Display with the VESA option and a quality arm over the ASD with the heigh-adjustable stand -- but that's me. Everyone has their own preferences.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I like the clean look of Ergatron's arms

With you 100%! However sexy Apple thinks their ASD stands are, they don't compare to the Ergotron arm's cool factor and you can position your monitor any way you want. Plus, those arms last forever.

People have said Apple will do the conversion at the Apple Store, but I'm pretty sure whatever that cost would be would negate any discount you get.

I found a price for that recently. I forgot what it was, but I think it was something like $139 US, which would have still netted a decent savings during some of the more aggressive sales that were around a few months ago.

Still, I'd need to net a pretty substantial discount to convince me to go that route. There's always the risk the conversion isn't perfect and these 27" displays aren't exactly easy to transport. It's a significant hassle to haul it to an Apple Store.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
VESA is great for a lot of people, but for mer, once I set my monitor, I never move it. So VESA is overkill for me.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
VESA is great for a lot of people, but for mer, once I set my monitor, I never move it. So VESA is overkill for me.
I've got two ASD on VESA arms (and one on the height/tilt stand). It's nice to be able to rotate them to 90º when needed. And the ASDs support auto-rotation, FYI. So Apple thought ahead into it. macOS will automatically change the desktop and orientation of the camera image.

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
I wish some firm with decent industrial design chops would take a crack at making a beautiful VESA arm. Give me a "flowerpot G4" mount for an ASD! :D

okay maybe it would have to be dummy thicc to hold it up, but seriously, everything on the market looks like prosthetic limbs from the eighties

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I have always used a 3-monitor setup with Macs for over 30 years. I used to have three 24" NEC's and eventually upgraded to three 27" (2K) NEC's. At the end of 2023 I replaced my middle NEC with an ASD. My biggest challenge was the 5K scaling difference in apps like Photoshop (if I opened an image on the left or right monitor it was 4x the physical size vs if it opened on the ASD). Depending on what monitor an image opened on, that physical size (if measured with a ruler on screen) would stay the same size even if dragging between the 2K and 5K monitors (hard to get used to).

So a couple weeks ago I decided to swap out my left monitor with an ASD as well (since I primarily work on photos with my left and center monitors and my right monitor is filled with app pallets). After spending the past two weeks with the two ASDs, I got spoiled with the clarity and finally took the plunge and ordered my third ASD to replace my remaining ASD on the right.

Now that I have Monitor Control linking my ASD's brightness (thanks XrayDoc!), this should be a big improvement for my workflow.

My feeling on the ASD in general so far:
  • Camera is a slap in the face, but I have only made two video conference calls in my life, so no loss for me, just feel insulted at this price point.
  • Really wish it had full Adobe RGB gamut coverage (as that is the Color Profile working space I use for commercial print work). P3 gives me more warm spectrum coverage, but clips some cooler blues/greens. My NEC's had more Adobe RGB coverage.
  • 60Hz not an issue for me.
  • Built-in power cord not an issue for me, never unplugged a monitor from the back and don't have creatures wandering through the office.
  • Standard stand not an issue. Once I have my three monitor risers matched, I never touch them for years at a time.
  • Being able to adjust brightness (synced) between ASDs from the keyboard has proven WAY more useful than I would have ever imagined! I find myself adjusting them several times a day depending on project.
  • Instant-On is a big plus, the remaining NEC I have takes about 20 seconds to catch up. 20 seconds is not much, but several times a day adds up to some frustration.
  • I wish the Mac OS would allow me to easily direct sound to two (or even three) ASDs at once.
As a plus to anyone reading this, now that I have purchased my third and final ASD, Apple should be announcing their price drop and mini-LED panels next week!

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I have always used a 3-monitor setup with Macs for over 30 years. I used to have three 24" NEC's and eventually upgraded to three 27" (2K) NEC's. At the end of 2023 I replaced my middle NEC with an ASD. My biggest challenge was the 5K scaling difference in apps like Photoshop (if I opened an image on the left or right monitor it was 4x the physical size vs if it opened on the ASD). Depending on what monitor an image opened on, that physical size (if measured with a ruler on screen) would stay the same size even if dragging between the 2K and 5K monitors (hard to get used to).

So a couple weeks ago I decided to swap out my left monitor with an ASD as well (since I primarily work on photos with my left and center monitors and my right monitor is filled with app pallets). After spending the past two weeks with the two ASDs, I got spoiled with the clarity and finally took the plunge and ordered my third ASD to replace my remaining ASD on the right.

Now that I have Monitor Control linking my ASD's brightness (thanks XrayDoc!), this should be a big improvement for my workflow.

My feeling on the ASD in general so far:
  • Camera is a slap in the face, but I have only made two video conference calls in my life, so no loss for me, just feel insulted at this price point.
  • Really wish it had full Adobe RGB gamut coverage (as that is the Color Profile working space I use for commercial print work). P3 gives me more warm spectrum coverage, but clips some cooler blues/greens. My NEC's had more Adobe RGB coverage.
  • 60Hz not an issue for me.
  • Built-in power cord not an issue for me, never unplugged a monitor from the back and don't have creatures wandering through the office.
  • Standard stand not an issue. Once I have my three monitor risers matched, I never touch them for years at a time.
  • Being able to adjust brightness (synced) between ASDs from the keyboard has proven WAY more useful than I would have ever imagined! I find myself adjusting them several times a day depending on project.
  • Instant-On is a big plus, the remaining NEC I have takes about 20 seconds to catch up. 20 seconds is not much, but several times a day adds up to some frustration.
  • I wish the Mac OS would allow me to easily direct sound to two (or even three) ASDs at once.
As a plus to anyone reading this, now that I have purchased my third and final ASD, Apple should be announcing their price drop and mini-LED panels next week!

$5000 in monitors. You are really committed to the ASD life :)

You sound like need three monitors for your work, but for me, for that price, I would have bought a 32 inch XDR.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
$5000 in monitors. You are really committed to the ASD life :)

You sound like need three monitors for your work, but for me, for that price, I would have bought a 32 inch XDR.

$5k may be a lot, can't say for Rafterman, but I can say: Of the things I spend $$ on, I probably get the biggest and fastest return from my monitors/keyboard/mouse/chair because I interact with those all day long, every day. Considerably better "return" on my investment than i get out of my cars, even. And having a car is essential lol.

gabicava83

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Fair points all, thanks for answering.

I’d be turning off centre stage. I do need the camera most days, but I also read text and build some websites, so all of that needs sharpness. I’m coming from a 1080p monitor too… fed up of the resolution vs my MBA M2.

I definitely want a camera in a monitor, and love great product design, hence why the ASD is pulling me in.

Right now, Amazon allows for pay monthly over 5 months, not on finance, so that’s way more manageable. I’d do that because I won’t notice it as much as £1300 upfront!
Did you end up getting it? Apart from the payment split, Costco have them reduced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.