Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
If you're just going to make stuff up, then I'm done. Thanks.

I’m not making anything up, they don’t have freedom of speech and they sure don’t have the right to bear arms, UKR didn’t allow many Russian language programs on the air and they had some major gun laws there

“Ukrainian law allows firearm ownership on may-issue basis

“Article 10, paragraph 2 of the Convention, which reads that ‘the exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.’”

Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I’m not making anything up, they don’t have freedom of speech and they sure done have the right to bear arms, UKR didn’t allow many Russian language programs on the air and they had some major gun laws there
Sure you did.

1. The US is a democracy. No citation needed.
2. "The [Ukraine] constitution guarantees freedoms of speech and expression"
3. "Countries that guarantee the right to keep and bear arms include the Czech Republic, Guatemala, Ukraine, Mexico, the Philippines, the United States, and Yemen."
4. Ukraine Grants Citizens the Right to Bear Arms

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP

You don’t have the right if it’s a may issue country lol

US is a constitutional republic, you can’t vote your neighbors rights away

I literally quoted the article where they have freedoms of speech BUT….

Just like Canada and many other places, it’s you have freedom of speech… but there’s small print, so not really

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You don’t have the right if it’s a may issue country lol
Fortunately, we're not all obligated to use the NRA-approved definition of terms. And, per the second link, they are no longer a may issue country.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Fortunately, we're not all obligated to use the NRA-approved definition of terms. And, per the second link, they are no longer a may issue country.

You think the NRA is pro gun?

They arnt

Do you have a update to them being shall issue? Because wiki doesn’t agree with you

But honestly even needing a license is pretty iffy as far as a right goes

• Wow
Reactions: BaldiMac

robco74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
All the 2A wingnuts conveniently leave out the first clause of the amendment, "A well regulated Militia". Gun ownership was never meant to be a free for all. The NRA used to teach gun safety. Yet, at their last convention, a photo of a six year old pointing a gun right at the camera was all over the media. People are buying weapons but have no clue how to use them safely, no clue when they are or aren't allowed to use deadly force, and rarely practice shooting.

Rights also come with responsibilities. The NRA has become a lobby for gun manufacturers, nothing more.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
All the 2A wingnuts conveniently leave out the first clause of the amendment, "A well regulated Militia". Gun ownership was never meant to be a free for all. The NRA used to teach gun safety. Yet, at their last convention, a photo of a six year old pointing a gun right at the camera was all over the media. People are buying weapons but have no clue how to use them safely, no clue when they are or aren't allowed to use deadly force, and rarely practice shooting.

Rights also come with responsibilities. The NRA has become a lobby for gun manufacturers, nothing more.

I think the federalist papers disagree

Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of. Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. And it is not certain, that with this aid alone they would not be able to shake off their yokes. But were the people to possess the additional advantages of local governments chosen by themselves, who could collect the national will and direct the national force, and of officers appointed out of the militia, by these governments, and attached both to them and to the militia, it may be affirmed with the greatest assurance, that the throne of every tyranny in Europe would be speedily overturned in spite of the legions which surround it."
- Madison
Federalist 46

Also go join and militia today and see how the FBI responds lol

NRA was also for background checks and other things

Back in the days the average citizen could have the same rifles as the military, even cannons on their private ships

Not having a method to defend your rights is the same as not having rights

robco74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
Well, the modern equivalent of a regulated militia would be the National Guard. Feel free to sign up, the FBI won't mind. Of course, soldiers are required to qualify on the weapons they carry, the military doesn't just immediately hand everyone a gun. You must know how to care for the weapon, rules of engagement, and practice constantly to maintain your rating. Letting anybody walk in off the street and pick up an AR-15 or conceal carry a handgun is a recipe for tragedy.

The NRA was for a lot of common sense measures. They aren't anymore. I was raised around guns and used to own some. But I was also taught to respect guns and to practice gun safety. The NRA doesn't seem to care about that anymore.

Alas, I'm swayed more by data and logic than jingoism and fear tactics. The US has more guns than people, yet we are far from being safe. While you go on and on about your rights, you seem to forget that others have rights too. Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Well, the modern equivalent of a regulated militia would be the National Guard. Feel free to sign up, the FBI won't mind. Of course, soldiers are required to qualify on the weapons they carry, the military doesn't just immediately hand everyone a gun. You must know how to care for the weapon, rules of engagement, and practice constantly to maintain your rating. Letting anybody walk in off the street and pick up an AR-15 or conceal carry a handgun is a recipe for tragedy.

The NRA was for a lot of common sense measures. They aren't anymore. I was raised around guns and used to own some. But I was also taught to respect guns and to practice gun safety. The NRA doesn't seem to care about that anymore.

Alas, I'm swayed more by data and logic than jingoism and fear tactics. The US has more guns than people, yet we are far from being safe. While you go on and on about your rights, you seem to forget that others have rights too. Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.

Nope

That’s completely not what the militia was, plus the federalist papers and common practice show how important for the people to be armed was

The federalized military would be what would be used against the people if there was a regime change, so joining to fight for the state to defend against tyranny from the state doesn’t make much sense

robco74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
I was going to keep going, but then I remembered the meme about arguing over the internet.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Republics that are not democracies don't usually turn out very well.

"Republics that are not democracies include China, Cuba, North Korea, Iran, Venezuela, and Syria. Historically, the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany were also republics."

Yeah....I didn't say anything about it being a dictatorship or run by zealots.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Okay? Not sure how that changes the problem. China, Cuba, North Korea, Iran, etc. all have constitutions.

The problem with a republic without democracy is that there is no check on those in power other than violence.

Only if you set it up that way.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Can you give a current example of a country that is a republic that does not elect its leaders that you would prefer to live in over the long term?
No. It doesn't exist. That's the problem. Humanity sucks.

• Ancient Athens did it for a while - but I wouldn't want to live there due to its lack of modern technology, plus I don't speak Greek.
  • Lombardy and Venice did it for a while, but I wouldn't want to live there due to the lack of modern technology, plus I don't speak the language there either.
  • Florence did it for a while - same problem.
  • Switzerland did it for a while - same problem.
  • India - some parts of it did it for a while...but I wouldn't want to live in India for any reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.