Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is facing a lawsuit in federal court in San Francisco by two women, one of which claims her ex-boyfriend used an AirTag to track her without her consent, reports Bloomberg.

airtag-1.jpg

Since their release in April 2021, the use of Apple's AirTags has raised concerns among privacy groups and law enforcement that the trackers could be used for illegal tracking. Apple has built several safeguards to protect against unwanted tracking, but according to the new lawsuit, those safeguards are "inadequate."

The lawsuit, filed on Monday, claims that the safeguards in place, which include alerting iPhone users if an unknown AirTag is found to be following them, are "woefully inadequate, and do little, if anything, to promptly warn individuals if they are being tracked." The other woman in the lawsuit says her husband placed an AirTag in her child's backpack in order to track her. The two women are requesting an unspecified amount of damages and accusing Apple of releasing an unsafe product.
An ex-boyfriend of one of the women who filed the lawsuit planted an AirTag in the wheel well of her car and was able to find out where she had moved to avoid his harassment, according to the proposed class-action complaint filed Monday in federal court in San Francisco. The other woman said her estranged husband tracked her movements by placing an AirTag in her child's backpack.
Apple has addressed concerns that AirTags could be used for unwanted tracking, including updates announced in February 2021, which included improved detection for unknown AirTags, louder AirTags alerts, and more. "AirTag was designed to help people locate their personal belongings, not to track people or another person's property, and we condemn in the strongest possible terms any malicious use of our products," Apple said in a February 2021 press release. "Unwanted tracking has long been a societal problem, and we took this concern seriously in the design of AirTag," it continued.

Article Link: Apple Sued by Women After Exes Use AirTags to Stalk Them

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Did Apple plant those AirTags? No. Case closed. These women should sue their exes, not the company that made the tracker.

Just gonna go ahead and say it. Why aren’t they going after their ex that “supposedly” stalked them? If she were so afraid of her life she’d contact the police. Innocent until proven guilty. $eem$ fi$hy.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
It’s amazing, the way people have channelled all this negativity towards Apple. You would think that the AirTag was the first and only tracker on the market.
My assumption is that because Apple are extremely valuable people are more likely to think that they’ll pay them a bunch of money to go away rather than actually go to court over things.

On using AirTags as described: why must people be like that?
Relationships break down, it hurts, it’s not nice - but stalking people? These dudes need to get some psychological help.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Sadly, Apple failed to see the nefarious side of things - I'm not blaming them but its unfortunate that no one thought of the implications prior to releasing the airtags. I think the overall the steps they undertook mitigate the stalking has helped.
Part of the issue is that they did see the nefarious side of things.

The fact they included protections indicated they knew it could be used for such purposes. The protections are inadequate.

This is not to say I agree. I have plenty of air tags, and I don’t think it’s right to blame apple (they’re doing more than any others). But I don’t think it’s totally clean cut.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Not exactly the same logic.

The same logic would be.

Company creates a knife that is designed so that they cannot be used to stab people. Then somebody gets stabbed with one.

The product now didn’t work as intended.
Every human made tool since the stone age can be misused, without any exception. There is no ifs and no buts. You do not design a Knife that can not be used to stab people same as you don't design a lighter that can not be used to light a forest or house on fire. You do not design a tracking device that can not be used to track people. The whole thing is so stupid.

omihek

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
Not exactly the same logic.

The same logic would be.

Company creates a knife that is designed so that they cannot be used to stab people. Then somebody gets stabbed with one.

The product now didn’t work as intended.
I mean if we're playing the logic game, we'd have to say it was a knife designed so that it cannot be used to stab people without their knowledge. Which I think all knives have that feature by default already.

The AirTags in this story seem to have worked exactly as intended, since the intention (at least of the anti-stalking features) is to not allow someone to be tracked without their knowledge, and these 2 women obviously know about being tracked, hence the lawsuit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.