Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Part of the issue is that they did see the nefarious side of things.

The fact they included protections indicated they knew it could be used for such purposes. The protections are inadequate.

This is not to say I agree. I have plenty of air tags, and I don’t think it’s right to blame apple (they’re doing more than any others). But I don’t think it’s totally clean cut.
The protections are beyond excessive removing an entire use case for the devices which is far more common by an order of magnitude…theft. If they try to give any more protections the only use of the device will be finding your lost keys in your house.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
Shouldn't people sue knife companies also for these things being used to commit crimes? Using the same logic...!

She should also sue the car/bus company that transported him to the store to buy those evil things.

Every tool can be used for good or for bad.

I SUE THE WORLD~!

Did Apple plant those AirTags? No. Case closed. These women should sue their exes, not the company that made the tracker.

That’s like suing Bic because your handwriting sucks. Case dismissed.

Exactly. This is like suing Alexander Graham Bell because the phone was later used to make anonymous dirty phone calls. This will be tossed.

I know, right? So illogical to sue a company because its product was used in commission of a crime.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New York woman who was injured during the April 12 mass shooting aboard a New York City subway car has sued Glock Inc, arguing the gun manufacturer should have known its weapons could be purchased by people with criminal intent.

Um, I mean, unless it’s a situation that lines up with me politically. Or emotionally.

Last edited:

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I know, right? So illogical to sue a company because its product was used in commission of a crime.
Correct! Stupid also. Sue lighter and Gasoline makers also for these being used for lighting up forests and properties on fire, car makers for accidents happening with cars, rope makers for ropes being used to strangle people, poison makers for poison being used to poison people, baseball bat makers, chain makers... where do I stop? Pretty much everything you can think of can be used to commit an offense.

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
The precedent has already been set when families were allowed to sue gun manufacturers for the deaths of their loved ones. Mankind is our own worst enemy, bad people will always find nefarious uses for tools. And yes guns and air tags are objectively just tools.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Before AirTags there was, and still is, actual GPS trackers. These are about the size of a deck of cards and can be easily hidden under a vehicle wheel well or in a child’s backpack.

I’ve never heard of anyone suing those companies, despite their being marketed to track people without their knowledge.

I sympathize greatly with these women, but their focus is misplaced. They should be litigating against the criminals, not the company.

It is important that we do stand up for victims and it is the sacred duty of the criminal justice system to prosecute the perpetrators, not the product makers.

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Did Apple plant those AirTags? No. Case closed. These women should sue their exes, not the company that made the tracker.
Just gonna go ahead and say it. Why aren’t they going after their ex that “supposedly” stalked them? If she were so afraid of her life she’d contact the police. Innocent until proven guilty. $eem$ fi$hy.
Apple has deep pockets, chances are the exes did not.

If they did, they would probably not be exes.

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
As a society we need to get back to proper accountability instead of bending to wherever we think we can make a quick buck. Hopefully the victims lose this suit and it sets a new precedent, then go after the exes like they should've from the start.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
The idea is that Apple has the deepest pockets and that of ruling of even partial responsibility will win a payday in court or prompt a settlement to make it go away before trial. I, personally, don’t see this going anywhere, but stranger things have happened in the justice system.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
This morning, my Sig Sauer got up and logged into my iPhone. Then him, and his buddy the Knife, along with their partner the Air Tag left the house in my car destined for mayhem. All of them stopped at an early morning bar (some of the bars here open at 7 AM. Hey different strokes, but not my jawn). The Sig got totally loaded before 8 AM and decided to go find his Ex. The iPhone agreed and let Sig use him to access Air Tag and go after the ex.

Fortunately, none of this happened. Sig is a crappy driver. Especially when drunk. He got into a rush hour wreck and that put an end to all of it.

Since Phone is a 14 PM with crash detection it called first responders on them after the crash. Sig made bail because hey, it's a one car crash and no one was hurt. Knife is keeping his mouth shut, and Air Tag is pisssssed that iPhone ratted them all out.

Cars don't drive themselves drunk.

Knives don't stab people by themselves.

Guns don't shoot people.

Air Tags don't do evil things, unless people do evil things. I have an Air Tag in my work bag, and most of the time I forget it's there but most of my important stuff is in that bag (wallet, keys, stuff like that). This lawsuit is frivolous and should be tossed.

But the moral of the story? The Sig needs rehab, and there's no doubt that iPhone is a DAMN SNITCH! 😁

PS. I noticed I forgot to work the car in as a character. I guess it lacks personality.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Interesting dilemma. Do people stalk people or do AirTags stalk people so Apple is responsible? Let the struggle to be consistent begin.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Part of the issue is that they did see the nefarious side of things.

The fact they included protections indicated they knew it could be used for such purposes. The protections are inadequate.

This is not to say I agree. I have plenty of air tags, and I don’t think it’s right to blame apple (they’re doing more than any others). But I don’t think it’s totally clean cut.
Almost anything could be used with harmful intentions. Most of us use our cars to commute back and forth to work, however some people have used them to purposely kill people. Doesn’t mean the automakers are at fault.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Sadly, Apple failed to see the nefarious side of things - I'm not blaming them but its unfortunate that no one thought of the implications prior to releasing the airtags. I think the overall the steps they undertook mitigate the stalking has helped.

Sounds like you’re on a tightrope without a net. 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.