Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 21, 2022
Domestic violence is neither funny or trivial, let's not lose sight of that.

Meanwhile, I do not think this lawsuit will be successful but that's what  pays big $$$ to attorneys to figure out.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I feel like you could have a viable case, only IF, you also own and use an iPhone. If your own device is used as the method, or even supplemental method, for providing the location to the tracker itself and thus forwarding those details to Apple - at which point they are provided by Apple to the tracker owner... You really start getting into direct involvement by Apple in providing very accurate and timely location details of someone who is unknowingly being tracked. Layered with the time delay in notification of the 'tracked' carrier or known carrier companion - it really feels like a compelling case. Especially if damages can be shown (physical, mental or otherwise).

#notalawyer

pauloregan

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't think the AirTag is long for this world.
Apple should give store credit to the Apple accounts they're attached to and turn them all off.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
I feel like you could have a viable case, only IF, you also own and use an iPhone. If your own device is used as the method, or even supplemental method, for providing the location to the tracker itself and thus forwarding those details to Apple - at which point they are provided by Apple to the tracker owner... You really start getting into direct involvement by Apple in providing very accurate and timely location details of someone who is unknowingly being tracked. Layered with the time delay in notification of the 'tracked' carrier or known carrier companion - it really feels like a compelling case. Especially if damages can be shown (physical, mental or otherwise).

#notalawyer
Without the criminal misuse (stalking) none of the AirTag tracking is an actual damage. I believe the anonymized relaying of AirTag location info back to Apple is agreed to in the user agreement. They would have to specifically opt out of that feature for it to not to apply.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Part of the issue is that they did see the nefarious side of things.

The fact they included protections indicated they knew it could be used for such purposes. The protections are inadequate.

This is not to say I agree. I have plenty of air tags, and I don’t think it’s right to blame apple (they’re doing more than any others). But I don’t think it’s totally clean cut.
This (kinda).

Was stalking/privacy violations a foreseeable future of the product? Yes.
Was Apple's implementations to prevent these foreseeable issues adequate?
If yes, case likely dismissed.
If no, was there a reasonable solution that Apple could have done but did not do so because the burden of doing it was greater than the benefit? If the burden is greater, then case likely dismissed. If the burden is less, then case not dismissed.

I don't agree with the lawsuit itself (seems like a blatant cash grab to me like those mass spam passerby ADA violating lawsuits) as well, but let's see what comes from it.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
I don't think the AirTag is long for this world.
Apple should give store credit to the Apple accounts they're attached to and turn them all off.
AirTags work pretty well. Now that we are post-pandemic and me and my stuff are in motion again, I can really appreciate them. Despite the negative press, these are a winner for Apple and I don't see them cancelling them no matter how many people sue.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I never used Tile, but was is so horrible that no one used them this way?

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
This (kinda).

If no, was there a reasonable solution that Apple could have done but did not do so because the burden of doing it was greater than the benefit? If the burden is greater, then case likely dismissed. If the burden is less, then case not dismissed.

I don't agree with the lawsuit itself (seems like a blatant cash grab to me like those mass spam passerby ADA violating lawsuits) as well, but let's see what comes from it.
But wouldn't part of the case depend on two things: whether or not she filed any sort of court order like a restraining order or something similar basically documenting the husband and whether or not she has sole custody or whatever the legal arrangement may be? If the husband still has full parental rights then the airtag in the child's backpack wouldn't matter because legally speaking he would have every right to know where his child is.

She is taking the battle up with the wrong person/entity. She should take this airtag information and file for whatever custody and a possible restraining order and do the steps to possibly get the man in jail/prison if it comes down to it.

Reactions: visualseed

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
But wouldn't part of the case depend on two things: whether or not she filed any sort of court order like a restraining order or something similar basically documenting the husband and whether or not she has sole custody or whatever the legal arrangement may be? If the husband still has full parental rights then the airtag in the child's backpack wouldn't matter because legally speaking he would have every right to know where his child is.

She is taking the battle up with the wrong person/entity. She should take this airtag information and file for whatever custody and a possible restraining order and do the steps to possibly get the man in jail/prison if it comes down to it.
I have not read the filings but I believe these suits are working from the assumption these are established criminal acts (Stalking, illegal use of a tracking device, etc.) in a court that have resulted in some sort of damages. Probably emotional distress or maybe even physical injury. Without some quantifiable damage or injury to the plaintiff there would be no cause at all to sue anyone.

Last edited:

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010

Maybe it could be used as a defense argument from Apple, but the claim here is that the privacy protections Apple implemented is inadequate.

Both proceedings could exist - one against Apple for a claim of inadequate privacy protections and one against the ex for custody/restraining order/etc for personal protection. It's not an either/or situation.

Either way, plaintiffs would need to show harm to get relief.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
This (kinda).

I suspect that Apple is probably going to claim that the notification features were never intended to protect victims, but to further dissuade the owner of the device from using it to stalk someone by letting them know they likely risk the system notifying their intended victim of their stalking. They will also likely argue that the notification to the owner of the AirTag about only tracking objects they own and not tracking people was sufficient and that they cannot be liable for criminal misuse of their product. Apple doesn't have a relationship to the potential victim for them to blindly offer this up as a reliable safety feature and will probably do as much as they can to limit that exposure in their testimony. This will most likely pit Apple's legal position against their PR and marketing positions, but this is the world we live in now.

Another thing to consider is this isn't illegal activity everywhere and in those places Apple wouldn't be preventing a crime but just using technology guardrails to enforce socially acceptable behavior.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I would be interested in hearing the legal argument regarding the idea that when individuals track people without their knowledge is not acceptable but when corporations do it is totally fine.

DesignTime

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2021
Wow the Apple echo camber is running at 100% today. It’s great seeing so many Apple influencers at work. Apple built a tracking network that uses millions of privately owned devices without the user’s consent and most of you are saying it’s her fault. Love big money from corporations much?

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
That is a terrible example. The AirPods were designed for tracking and they do that well. There was nothing in their design about not tracking things or people. That would make no sense for a tracking device.
The fact it notifies people that it’s moving with. Is designed to not track people.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
Wow the Apple echo camber is running at 100% today. It’s great seeing so many Apple influencers at work. Apple built a tracking network that uses millions of privately owned devices without the user’s consent and most of you are saying it’s her fault. Love big money from corporations much?
Most people are not saying it is "her fault." Most debate on the matter revolves around how much liability falls on the shoulders of the stalkers who committed the crimes (there is more than one case here) and how much, if any, falls on Apple and what legal strategies they could employ to limit it.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Anyone remember the case of the woman who sued McD for hot coffee that she put between her legs?
Don't start spouting that nonsense, the only reason this went to trial was McD refusing to cover the medical expenses and offering $800 for being partially disabled for years. It was reported that she never fully recovered from this accident and led her to an early grave. I am sure she did that on purpose.

The article brings up a few good points. Such as:

The fact it notifies people that it’s moving with. Is designed to not track people.
Except it doesn't unless you have an iPhone. The speaker can and will be disabled by the stalker, unless you have the foresight to install the track notification app on an Android phone you'll never be able to know. Furthermore the article I linked above states:
Although she had received notifications about the device on her phone, she had no idea what they meant and initially ignored them. It was only when her daughter also began getting notifications that the tag was found.
So what do you do with people that aren't familiar with Airtags at all? For example I guarantee my mum has never heard of them and if she got such a notification I give it a 50:50 chance of whether she asks me or just dismisses it because she gets all sorts of notifications she doesn't necessarily understands or cares about.

Apple could have designed the airtags with that in mind, for example by bricking an airtag if the speaker is disabled. Apple is very skilled to mate hardware together like they do with iPhones where even an original Apple screen replacement part will trigger warnings on the iphone, unless the replacement was done by Apple. So they have the tech already to brick their devices if altered.

Apple could easily have done better with the airtags from the start but chose not to. And that's the real issue I have with this. You are all right that gps trackers exist, but surely we can agree that Apple should be held to a different standard than some random seller from aliexpress.

Reactions: NY Guitarist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.