Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Due to advances in the A8 architecture, rumor has it they will drop the RAM down to 512MB because thats all normal users need.

Also rumor has it they'll cut on-board storage to 4GB because we "can stream everything from the cloud"

Lastly, I hear they're taking the battery out because it takes up most of the space inside. By removing it- while the iPad will no longer work without a battery case (sold separately, and requiring a proprietary license from Apple)- it does allow them to make the iPad itself even thinner.

Of course, to all 3 rumors, we still pay the same price for this much thinner iPad itself. ;)

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I am not criticizing this comment (I quite like and agree with it), but:

You post this comment in response to every article and you haven't gotten banned yet - how do you do it‽

I suppose that it shall be added to the growing list of Apple clichés, which includes, but is not limited to:
- Still waiting for the PowerBook G5
- Steve would never have allowed this
- Apple is doomed
- Any -gate
- Can't innovate anymore my ass!
- Still waiting for the 2014 Mac Mini
- The 5.5" iPhone 6 does not exist

Feel free to tell me about the others that I know I missed...

You can't forget "Safari feels snappier"!

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Penultimate and any decent pen will do the trick. I was trying it with the Wacom Bamboo 2nd Gen yesterday and it is just like writing on paper. My handwriting is exactly the same.

This is the one I got

[url=http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx337/ajarnfalang/Mobile%20Uploads/20140811_153329_zps62bb6bef.jpg]Image[/URL]

And this is me trying it for the first time

[url=http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx337/ajarnfalang/Mobile%20Uploads/download_20140811_221701-1_zps6775fb6d.jpg]Image[/URL]

I have one too. It works great when you can take your time to position the required zoom box. But it is nothing compared to an active stylus that allows palm rejection...

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
There is no 5.5" i....

... errr um... wait. Nevermind. ;)

Still not funny, considering you've said this in every iPhone related post.

----------

You post this comment in response to every article and you haven't gotten banned yet - how do you do it‽

I suppose that it shall be added to the growing list of Apple clichés, which includes, but is not limited to:
- Apple is doomed
- Any -gate

Safari is snappier.

And I replied to that user with the same thing. Tired of seeing their comments here.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
If this is true, "anti-glare" would be a better description than "anti-reflective." I always laugh when I walk past someone using an iPad or a Mac laptop, and I can see the entire world reflected in their screen.... just can't read what's on the screen. It makes me wonder how they can with all those lights and glare reflected on their screen?

Apple should never have abandoned the "anti-glare" market. Sure, charge $50 more for the coating, but at least offer consumers A CHOICE.

Oh, wait, this is Apple we're talking about, where their choice is the ONLY choice.

(Yes, I use Apple products, but I buy PowerSupport anti-glare screen protectors for every product.)

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012

- Apple is doomed
- Any -gate

You're missing the one where someone posts a list of Apple cliches.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'd really love to learn how they can make an anti-reflective coating on a screen that's meant to be touched.

If I touch the AR screen on my iMac, the fingerprints pretty much nix the anti-reflective effect and they stand out like sore thumbs. Pun intended. :)

It'll be interesting to see how it's done. Apple tends to not do things unless they work reasonably well, after all. Usually.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
I just want a 12" iPad.

Yes me too! Mom is in a nursing Home that has wireless & at 89 she sure could use a larger screen! She's been on the net for years now.

With a larger screen she could enjoy my video accounts & video chat with Skype etc....

That's my wish! :)

CairnsRock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Toronto
The only reason to upgrade from my iPad 4 is the weight.

Sad state of affairs for Apple investors. They definitely need an innovation injection. Maybe iTime will do it...meh.

jpep

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
great, another Ipad that crashes no matter what browser you use. Useless Ipad Air.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Manufacturing & supply issues 24/7 at Apple... Apparently

standard practice when you aren't certain your rumor is correct. You trump up issues so if you are wrong it wasn't your fault

----------

So does anyone else read that like it's saying that the Air will have this anti-reflective coating but the mini won't?

thats what it sounds like but i'm not buying it. They are moving to have the two lines basically the same but for size and this is definitely a feature that would be of high value on all sizes. heck for the mini perhaps even more if the point is to make it easier to read even outside. the mini's size makes it more 'kindle' like and more likely to be used as an ebook reader.

hopefully this anti reflective coating is also even more oleophobic and is going on top of displays with better backlighting etc.

----------

I don't buy this. There are still a few things Apple can do with the hardware, including proper stylus support (not just fingers) like the Surface Pro and Note.

if Apple feels that is really that important. Something tells me they might not. perhaps some degree of pressure but not the 100s that the Note etc like to spec wank.

----------

The only reason to upgrade from my iPad 4 is the weight.

Sad state of affairs for Apple investors. They definitely need an innovation injection. Maybe iTime will do it...meh.

the investors need the stock price to go up. innovation isn't necessarily needed for that. just strong sales. they could release an iPad air and Mini that are basically identical to the current but with a slightly faster processor and touch id and get sales. If they managed to demo something mad crazy like the console Disney Infinity on the iPad, or Nintendo giving in and releasing classic super mario on iOS etc that could be enough to win a lot of sales.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
the only thing that would bring me to upgrade from my iPad 3 already would be proper stylus support to take actual notes (yes the way it was spoofed in the latest microsoft ad needs to go)
+1
That has been my number one wish as far as ipads are concerned from the very beginning.
I've tried a number of programs and styluses with my ipad air and I don't find any of them good enough to take notes during lectures and talks. I think a pressure sensitive active stylus is what's needed for this. I don't know how big of a demand for something like this would be but I'm pretty sure it would be a hit in education. I regularly teach fairly large classes (100+ ppl) and I always make a point to see what my students are using to take notes. Many have some kind of tablets but few use them to take notes during lectures and the ones that do are those with android tablets (mostly galaxy notes I think).

But I don't have much hope that Apple will actually do this, certainly not any time soon. It's clear that they don't view this as important - they don't even sell styluses at Apple stores.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Jokes aside. "Restricted availability" more like "purposely restricting" to create demand ��

People always say this and it makes zero sense to me. Apple doesn't need to "create demand" for any of their products. You can't sell something you don't have and Apple wants to sell as much product as possible. How does intentionally restricting supply do that?

It's the same as those people claiming that Apple intentionally leaks parts in order to create buzz for new products. It has never been proven and in all cases the people that say these things are just repeating things they heard on blogs such as this one to appear to sound smart or "know what is happening when it is about Apple". Logical thinking is a rarity in these cases.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Market is at saturation, all apple can do now is release spec bumps and make all it's ios and osx line work better together and add software features, the hardware is at the end of the road for now, the tablet is stuck at its apex.

I can see myself upgrading to a new air from my current ipad 3 if only to share cables across all devices and to cut some weight out my bag.

It's not apples fault but the new category has run its course for now.

Yup outside of this I have no compelling reason to give up my current ipad 3..

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Whoever did this mockup is hoping the next iPad has TouchID.
I hope for that too but who knows.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I don't buy this. There are still a few things Apple can do with the hardware, including proper stylus support (not just fingers) like the Surface Pro and Note.

Back in the day people used to care about the quality and measured tested specifications of the microphone and speaker output, noise levels, output curves, stuff like that. Back in the day when average Joes knew how to do math with paper and pencil, understood why there was a "-" in front of dB -- and the slightly better than average Joes soldered together circuitry for fun... well I guess those were the days.

If Apple today tried to mainstream advertise comparison microphone response curves they'd get essentially 98% blank stares. I guess Apple, in understanding the intelligence of their average consumers in today's world, made them as successful as they are.

So there ARE great things they could still do with hardware - it's just that they wouldn't sell any more product to today's average Joes by doing those things. Average Joes today want BIG, BRIGHT SHINY and PRETTY!! And that has already been done. And now that I think about it, not a whole lot of guys are named Joe any more anyway.

BriSpe

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
CH
There is almost every time a new Anti-reflective coating coming to the iOS devices...but I can't never see the difference

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.