Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Bring on the 5.5 inch iPhone 6. My contract is over in October. Can't wait to upgrade. A real upgrade to. :)

canopic

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
I can admit that I thought that the iPhone 4 was ugly as my sister..........<snip> and looks back on her comment as embarrassing hyperbole.

Great comment. We should all just calm down and get on with something else until we see the finished product which will probably be fantastic.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Great, issues with the back light. That makes me want to jump in on the pre-order line. Perhaps this time its not worthwhile to be on the bleeding edge.

Right? I think it might be best to wait a month or so and see what types of serious issues early adopters experience (if any). If there's problems that challenge public perception and confidence, Apple—more specifically Tim Cook—would have a major PR issue on his hands. I can only imagine the fallout and the Stve Jobs comparisons...

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Meh.
Expect a rushed product riddled with flaws and defects to satiate public demand.
Think we will ever see the day when a new iPhone doesn't come out every year? God forbid they take their time over say, 2 years!? Oh my! :rolleyes:

Well they should have been working on the next design as soon and the iPhone 5 was announced 2 years ago... The "S" upgrades gave them a 2nd year to have had the next phone design set already. I feel like they've cut this one a little too close. I am expecting a lot of Rev. A bugs to pop up for first week buyers.

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Meh.
Expect a rushed product riddled with flaws and defects to satiate public demand.
Think we will ever see the day when a new iPhone doesn't come out every year? God forbid they take their time over say, 2 years!? Oh my! :rolleyes:

They basically keep the same phone for 2 years. Where as competitors redo theirs each year.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
How reliable is this rumour?

If Apple are to announce the phone on Sept 9th and then go on sale the 19th. All the phones are already made and ready to ship out of China.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
The design won't be ugly. We haven't seen a finished model yet, but expect it to be sexy. Apple will make it that way. The lines will likely fit well with the metal in the finished product.

It's Apple. Design is core. :apple:

Tell that to the protruding camera lens.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Thin, thin, thin! Pathetic. Folks at Cupertino think this is innovation? Do they not understand the correlation between one-handed operation and thickness of the device? The curved display is to make edge swiping more natural and intuitive but do they think it'll be easier by making the device thinner?

I notice that the MacRumors groupthink is strong on this issue as it was in the past. Jony Ive's industrial design group of fifteen really need to be disassembled and replaced with people with at least some smattering of common sense.

You need to build the technology first, then stuff it in a pretty box. Can anyone honestly admit to themselves that what counts as innovation is designing a concept first and then building the technology? Exactly. You begin by building the biggest battery you can reasonably afford for a hand-held device. Then all the other components and then finally wrap it up in a pretty design. THAT'S innovation, folks. The iPhone 5 is thin enough. Just stretch it out to fit a 4.7-inch display and call it a day. Making it thinner will not afford extra thumb reach whatsoever. Common sense.

I'm afraid this concept is lost among the Cupertino folks as they've reached to some bizarre conclusion that size and weight are a premium.

I'm so glad you have figured out what Apple has been doing wrong for the last 12-13 years...

Apple started to climb out of the hole they'd been in when they let the design team dictate to the engineers, and they have dominated for the last 7+ years using that strategy, while engineering based companies flounder as their competition. I'm pretty sure their shareholders (and the largest part of their customer base) would probably just as soon they didn't take your advice.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
The problem is, no one is clamoring for a thinner phone. I bet if you asked 1000 people if they want the thinnest possible iPhone, or an iPhone 1-2mm thicker that has longer battery life, no protruding camera lens, and no production issues (i.e. they can actually buy one), more than 900 would choose the latter.

You're right about that! And if you want to add your own voice to the chorus, do so here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5L2MR7Q

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How reliable is this rumour?

If Apple are to announce the phone on Sept 9th and then go on sale the 19th. All the phones are already made and ready to ship out of China.

Apple stock is up almost 1% so Wall Street is clearly giving this rumor a big yawn.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
You guys... optimum is the keyword. My iPhone4 lasts me 2 days of normal use. But its not my media center either. A phone is a phone is a phone. Apple won't cater to the "I use it only for 5 hours a day (for gaming or movies) and how dare it running out of juice" people.

Unfortunately you are the slim minority and the other group is the 90% majority.

----------

I bet they never thought of that.

I bet they never thought of this either. Are you sure Apple doesn't know what design is most likely to appeal to the widest audience? The flagship iPhone is the #1 selling phone (the only thing even close is the next lower iPhone..) While you have your made up survey, I imagine Apple has done some actually research into what people want in a phone and then they decide on the best balance of features and design.

You are of the mistaken belief that 90% of the people on earth must think like you do.

Actually you're wrong.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5L2MR7Q

Go ahead, post that link somewhere where you think this mysterious silent majority is. Every person I ask, real world, seems to agree that the battery life is far too short.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Point is, innovation isn't making something thicker to accommodate a larger battery. That might be a necessity but that doesn't make it innovative.

You would also agree that making it thinner to the point where it can only be used for 3/4 of a day isn't innovation either, surely?

slippery

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
I couldn't agree more most of us put our brand new shiney iPhones in cases which totally defeats the point of thinness.
Give us a slightly thicker iPhone with a battery that you can flog to death and still get a days use out of it.
Does Apple actually listen to the people buying there products....?
BATTERY BATTERY BATTERY BATTERY
This obsession with thinness really needs to put on pause. There's a point where I don't want my phone to be so thin that it feels like it will snap in my hand or shatter if it hits the edge of a desk, etc.

I actually prefer something a little heavier. Obviously not too heavy - but given the way ALL smartphones are these days - I happily choose longer battery over thinness.

canopic

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
I couldn't agree more most of us put our brand new shiney iPhones in cases which totally defeats the point of thinness.
Give us a slightly thicker iPhone with a battery that you can flog to death and still get a days use out of it.

This problem is already solved, go get a morphie battery case if you want amazing battery life and don't care about thickness and want to flog your phone to death all day.

Thank god for those cases, anyone whinging about battery life can be told to go and buy one and stop trying to ruin the engineering of future iPhones with their ****** ideas.

Most people don't flog their phones and get by just fine with the 1-2 day battery life.

Does Apple actually listen to the people buying there products....?
BATTERY BATTERY BATTERY BATTERY

Yes and no. Customers shouldn't be trusted to crowd-engineer the features of the next phone. If you want that, go with Samsung, they will cram everything but the kitchen sink in for you to try to keep you happy. Apple will do what they think ultimately creates the best product.

canopic

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
Tell that to the protruding camera lens.

There is literally nothing wrong with a prodruding camera lens of less than 1mm, no downside at all.

If you have a problem with it, you should read the fairy tale about the princess and the pea.

The upsides, better camera + thinner phone at the same time.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Oh, the obsession. This is getting ridiculous.

We would get nowhere if we listened to everyone who thought their phone was thin enough, needed a removable battery, needed a physical keyboard, wanted a "more accurate" resistive display with stylus.

Try going back to the original iPhone which is almost double the thickness of the reported iPhone 6 specs. This "obsession" is what moves tech forward.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Try going back to the original iPhone which is almost double the thickness of the reported iPhone 6 specs. This "obsession" is what moves tech forward.

My Lumia 1020 (with case) is probably even more than that. I don't see any issues with it, why should I?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I was showing how "pushing till you fail" is one of those silly office motivational sayings which are a sad effort to try and get people to go more for you.

Ideally you would plan to the maximum you can, not just break it and back off a bit.

Apple will learn in time they have to change. Apple is still new with their iProducts, it's gimmicky and exciting. Most people, given time will get tired of being told how they are supposed to do things and Apple will gradually be forced into giving more and more choice.

It's funny how asking people what they want is seen as a negative.

Wonder how they would work in the restaurant business or leisure industry ?

Why would "I" as an individual want others deciding what I do and do not want? Unless I'm a child, or have a child like mentality and like others making decisions for me.

Let me guess. You have a regular off the shelf microwave oven and refrigerator and haven't thought once that they see you as a "child" and "making decisions for you". I bet the toilet you use every day is the one the designer thought was best for your ass. Yet somehow, Apple's hundreds of designers and engineers (from the best schools and some of the best in the industry even before they came to Apple) shouldn't be doing their jobs because you know better than all of them.

I see some elitism in these types of comments and it ain't Apple. Look, if you don't want someone "making decisions" for you, then what you're saying is that you don't want a well designed product... you just want a heap of parts so you have to come up with an actual finished product all yourself.

I mean seriously, what the heck are you paying Apple or any company for if not for them to make decisions for you? Because that's what designing any product is all about and yes that always entails making compromises and no you're not going to please everyone all the time but to say that they are somehow wrong for making designs decisions or treating you as a child is downright ludicrous and says how little you understand about the design process.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Nobody wants a damn thinner phone, now it's going to be delayed because it wasn't thin enough?

Lol

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Let me guess. You have a regular off the shelf microwave oven and refrigerator and haven't thought once that they see you as a "child" and "making decisions for you". I bet the toilet you use every day is the one the designer thought was best for your ass. Yet somehow, Apple's hundreds of designers and engineers (from the best schools and some of the best in the industry even before they came to Apple) shouldn't be doing their jobs because you know better than all of them.

I see some elitism in these types of comments and it ain't Apple. Look, if you don't want someone "making decisions" for you, then what you're saying is that you don't want a well designed product... you just want a heap of parts so you have to come up with an actual finished product all yourself.

I mean seriously, what the heck are you paying Apple or any company for if not for them to make decisions for you? Because that's what designing any product is all about and yes that always entails making compromises and no you're not going to please everyone all the time but to say that they are somehow wrong for making designs decisions or treating you as a child is downright ludicrous and says how little you understand about the design process.

As I've said before
Apples strongest point is also their weakest point.

It would be like Ford, or pick any other BIG car company, making 1 car.
The have chosen the size, the engine, the stereo, the number of doors, before a select few at Ford sat down and decided THEY wanted it to look like that.
So if you wanted Ford you bought that one model and that's that.
You would get the Ford fans who feel it;s perfect and other cars are just a fragmented mess, and all drive around in the same model Ford.

The real world is not like this. In the real world most companies make a range or products to cater for different tastes.
I don't expect you would tolerate the way Apple works in virtually any other product, as you want to go and select which model from the range you like, and you would be quite right to do so. You have your own preferences.

With a PC computer, you can pay as little as say $100 to $10,000+
They are all compatible and run the same software. It's the ultimate of free choice.
Phone wise, whilst I am no fan of Samsung. I'm not a fan of any brand, I appreciate that Samsung do make phones from say $30 to $600 with a full range of sizes, specs, and finish. That should be looked upon as a good thing. Only here it's seen as negative. There should only be ONE microwave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.