Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalmargyula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Hi to everyone.

I'm a new forum user yet an apple user for several years. In short, I have a 2014 macbook pro with nVidia's GT 750M GPU. Yep, the one that has only problems since High Sierra and is working ever since at decreased performance ( I do a lot of video editing ).

So I am in contact with apple support and opened several cases in the past year ( maybe even more ) yet the issue was always postponed, forgotten and I was recently asked to wait for Mojave. I am still stuck with the all known driver issue, my mac is still in warranty and I am determined to go till the end of the story and solve this issue.

I just talked today with someone from apple support and I was shocked at their attitude, basically after we discussed my issue she said the following conclusion:
" we can escalate this issue to the engineering team ( actually I requested this ) yet I just want to let you know that this is a 3rd party equipment that you specially ordered and I cannot guarantee that we can do anything about it since it's likely no longer supported "....

Usually I am calm but at this point I went like: " so you sell me a car, issue some updates (which you strongly advice me to install) and if a turbocharger or my navigation starts to have issues, you tell me that "ohh, actually we did not manufacture that part" so you need to live with this or contact the actual manufacturer ? At point she told me "ohh it's not like this"....

I said her that this claim is simply ridiculous and I bought the macbook as a whole unit with factory GPU, this "equipment" was not mounted later on by me.

NEED ADVICE: so, I have a feeling that this will lead nowhere yet again, so my question is, how can I go further ? Is there any other apple team / company personal I can contact regarding issues with regular support ? Do you advice me to go with my issue directlyto an apple service ( give them my mac and tell them I want it to be fixed and end of story ) ? Should I contact an agency handling consumer protection issues ? Anyone with any experience since it's becoming obvious that apple support or engineers don't want to fix issues with 3-4 years old MacBooks, they are so environmental friendly that they want you perfectly working mac thrown away and they want you to by the newest model....

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Email tcook@apple.com. Politely explain the situation (politely is the key word) and provide your case numbers as reference.

Outline as much detail as you can about the problem.

kalmargyula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
will give it a try :) ps. during all my apple support communications I was mega patient and cooperative / polite, actually this was the first time I felt that this is way too much.... Let me mail Tim and see what happens :)

semistandard

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2018
Hi to everyone.

I'm a new forum user yet an apple user for several years. In short, I have a 2014 macbook pro with nVidia's GT 750M GPU. Yep, the one that has only problems since High Sierra and is working ever since at decreased performance ( I do a lot of video editing ).

So I am in contact with apple support and opened several cases in the past year ( maybe even more ) yet the issue was always postponed, forgotten and I was recently asked to wait for Mojave. I am still stuck with the all known driver issue, my mac is still in warranty and I am determined to go till the end of the story and solve this issue.

I just talked today with someone from apple support and I was shocked at their attitude, basically after we discussed my issue she said the following conclusion:
" we can escalate this issue to the engineering team ( actually I requested this ) yet I just want to let you know that this is a 3rd party equipment that you specially ordered and I cannot guarantee that we can do anything about it since it's likely no longer supported "....

Usually I am calm but at this point I went like: " so you sell me a car, issue some updates (which you strongly advice me to install) and if a turbocharger or my navigation starts to have issues, you tell me that "ohh, actually we did not manufacture that part" so you need to live with this or contact the actual manufacturer ? At point she told me "ohh it's not like this"....

I said her that this claim is simply ridiculous and I bought the macbook as a whole unit with factory GPU, this "equipment" was not mounted later on by me.

NEED ADVICE: so, I have a feeling that this will lead nowhere yet again, so my question is, how can I go further ? Is there any other apple team / company personal I can contact regarding issues with regular support ? Do you advice me to go with my issue directlyto an apple service ( give them my mac and tell them I want it to be fixed and end of story ) ? Should I contact an agency handling consumer protection issues ? Anyone with any experience since it's becoming obvious that apple support or engineers don't want to fix issues with 3-4 years old MacBooks, they are so environmental friendly that they want you perfectly working mac thrown away and they want you to by the newest model....

Honest advice? Just get rid of it as soon as you can and get a windows machine for now.
Apple won't solve your issue - I'd even bet money on it...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yep, the one that has only problems since High Sierra and is working ever since at decreased performance ( I do a lot of video editing ).
I'm not sure what the issue is, but if it was caused by HS, then downgrade to an older OS.
If its hardware based, then I suggest moving on to another laptop. I don't think you'll get much support for a 4 year old laptop, even emailing T. Cook on this will not result much movement in your issue imo.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.