Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
It makes me sick that one of America's most valuable companies is allowed to pull this crap instead of just paying taxes on earned income.

It's not an Apple law. It's an American law, and it has been that way for a long time.

What about Exxon Mobil?
What about Fox, Clear Channel, or News Corporation?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
...of $15-16 billion, which would rank the deal as one of the largest investment-grade bond offerings in history.

While Apple holds approximately $145 billion in cash and investments, roughly two-thirds of that money is currently held in foreign countries and would be subject to significant taxes if it were to be returned to the United States. ...

If Apple, through international hocus pocus of derivatives and etc, is the primary buyer of these bonds then that is OK. If not this sucks $15B away from other businesses that could use capital investment all the while Apple's money is locked away in some double-irish with Netherlands twist with a Bahama backflip lock box.... that doesn't investors or anyone else any good.

Apple has stashed all this money away into tax havens, but can it get out ?

Apple's subsidaries in the US (NASDAQ) and Gemany ( Frankfort market) can clearly buy Apple stock. With hocus pocus financial instrutments it should be possible for the big International investment banks to sell an apple stock instrument in a wide variety of countries. ( It is likely being done with this bonds).

Humorous that the taxes are evil buy paying these banks 1% of the whole deal for all the hocus pocus is OK. ( Yeah, yeah it is less than the tax rate but frankly one reason the finanicial industry is being paid here is because they squirelled the money away where they'd have to get paid again to get it back out. )

Rocketman

macrumors 603
It makes me sick that one of America's most valuable companies is allowed to pull this crap instead of just paying taxes on earned income.
Apple is a multinational company. They pay taxes in several countries. The USA, almost alone in the world, double-taxes income made in another country and "repatriated" back home. The tax rates apply to all companies regardless of value. So the little guys, including me, are being hurt worse.

Apple's return on capital is around 20% and the expected cost of these bonds is in the range of 1-3%, depending on duration. Apple would be wise to maximize duration in these market conditions. With over $6T in investments on the sidelines, this is a trivial impact on investment markets generally. Even if they eventually increase offerings to $100-200B.

Rocketman

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17185677#post17185677

Last edited:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I don't know why, but the idea of Apple borrowing money to do this just doesn't sit right with me. That was one of the things Jobs was most proud of- no debts for the company. And let's face it, the stock buyback program is predominantly to artificially increase the stock value of AAPL -- unless there's something I'm missing (I don't profess to understand how this works, so forgive me if this comment is a bit naive!)

Apple has the billions. But they're not in the US -they're overseas. Apple, the corporation, located in the US, must use US dollars to pay the money to investors. However, to get the money back to the US, Apple would have to pay a 35% tax. It's a lot more beneficial for Apple to wait for a tax holiday where they can pay 0% or something close to that (which will come someday when a republican is in office). Apple can then get a loan for the money CHEAPER. Any interest rate below 35% is cheaper than bringing the money back.

It'd be similar if you, say, won the lottery in Canada. Keep that money in a Canadian bank, and use the money over there, don't bring it across the border into the US, and you won't have to pay US taxes on it. (Canadian taxes on lottery winnings is 0%). Get a loan for the money if you want to use it in the US, and make payments from the canadian bank on the loan.

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
I don't know why, but the idea of Apple borrowing money to do this just doesn't sit right with me. That was one of the things Jobs was most proud of- no debts for the company. And let's face it, the stock buyback program is predominantly to artificially increase the stock value of AAPL -- unless there's something I'm missing (I don't profess to understand how this works, so forgive me if this comment is a bit naive!)

As growth declines the debt ratio of a company increases. This is simple corporate finance.
The stock buyback program is the way to go. I never got it, why Apple started paying dividends.
Dividends attract the wrong kind of investor (stockholder).

Uh, I love corporate finance. This is the discipline where I "think different" ;)
I am curious what's coming next.

mostlydave

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
It's not an Apple law. It's an American law, and it has been that way for a long time.

What about Exxon Mobil?
What about Fox, Clear Channel, or News Corporation?

I'm not saying it's Apple's laws, I'm saying they should be bringing in the money they already have into the US and paying the tax on it. If Apple can afford a multibillion dollar HQ building they can afford to pay some taxes like the rest of us, and that goes for any corporation operating here.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
Is it possible that Apple artificially DEflated its stock value by sending false signals to investors about porudct delays, withholding new product information, etc., and their plan all along was to temporarily drive down the stock price so they could buy it back and make a killing?

mostlydave

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
So it's Apple's job to support the American economy now?

As an American company it sure is! I can't understand why it's possible for Apple or any other US corporation to use these loopholes to avoid paying taxes. I sure wish there was a magic loophole for me to avoid my taxes and maybe my student loans.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
As an American company it sure is! I can't understand why it's possible for Apple or any other US corporation to use these loopholes to avoid paying taxes. I sure wish there was a magic loophole for me to avoid my taxes and maybe my student loans.

Apple does business in many more countries than the US. Apple just paid $3.4 in income taxes this last quarter. They aren't "avoiding" taxes.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I wouldn't go that far, but they'd be better off with not having that much debt. Should pay it all off at once. Or within a smaller period.

You don't think all the finance people at Apple and the SEC know what they're doing? A company, especially of this size, will exercise every angle to maximize their profit and minimize their loss in all aspects, including investments, bonds, stocks etc.

For people outside of that inner financial circle to arm-chair quarterback what they're doing seems oddly silly to me.

Last edited:

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Mod Note: This thread was closed temporarily for cleanup. Instead, the moderation team decided it was better suited in the PRSI forum and, thus, we have moved it here.

Last edited:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/30/apple-debt-idUSL2N0DH19720130430

Pricing on the deal from Apple, which garnered an initial rating of Aa1/AA+ last week when it first announced plans to issue debt, is expected later on Tuesday.

Initial price guidance across the tranches of the deal are Treasuries + 35 basis points (bp) area on the three-year fixed; Libor + 20bp area on the three-year floater; T+55 area on the five-year fixed; L+40 area on the five-year FRN; T+90-95 area on the 10-year; and T+115-120 area on the 30-year.

But with the immense interest already out there, the final pricing of the deal is expected to ratchet in sharply.
Rocketman

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
It'd be similar if you, say, won the lottery in Canada. Keep that money in a Canadian bank, and use the money over there, don't bring it across the border into the US, and you won't have to pay US taxes on it. (Canadian taxes on lottery winnings is 0%). Get a loan for the money if you want to use it in the US, and make payments from the canadian bank on the loan.

I understand the reasoning, but, as Steve Jobs found, debt can tie your hands in a lot of ways. As does the expectation of certain investors that you will pay a steady dividend. What all this signals to me is that Apple is becoming staid. Too bad.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I wouldn't go that far, but they'd be better off with not having that much debt. Should pay it all off at once. Or within a smaller period.

I think we are all ignoring MASSIVE tax advantages of having debt AND keeping money offshore.

Welcome to America, where the whole economy is based on debt and leverage

----------

Apple has the billions. But they're not in the US -they're overseas. Apple, the corporation, located in the US, must use US dollars to pay the money to investors. However, to get the money back to the US, Apple would have to pay a 35% tax. It's a lot more beneficial for Apple to wait for a tax holiday where they can pay 0% or something close to that (which will come someday when a republican is in office). Apple can then get a loan for the money CHEAPER. Any interest rate below 35% is cheaper than bringing the money back.

Brilliantly put, thank you!

May I add: Nowadays interest rates are super low, with their 'credit score' they will get a killer rate. Sometimes borrowing cheap beats paying cash.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington

Why? That's money made in other countries. If we want to be "fair" about it, Apply should invest that money back into whatever country gave it to them. Instead, they don't need the money from any of these countries to move around right now, so why should they move it to the US before they need, and pay a tax? What if after moving it they want to use it in the country of origin? In no way does moving that money to the US before they need it make any sense.

Yes, I can hear you saying "But they are taking out a loan, obviously they need it!". In which case I'd say that a loan will cost them less money in the end than paying that tax. Capitalism would dictate that they don't just give money away without reason.

But since there is no "fair" in capitalism, this is all a moot point :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Apple is owned by the shareholders. Apple's cash is also owned by the shareholders. And right now, Apple has so much cash there is nothing they can do with it that would improve Apple's business, which is why they are looking at giving some of that cash to the owners of the business.

There are in principle two ways that can be done: By paying dividends (each shareholder gets lets say $10 per share; since $10 per share disappears out of Apple's bank account, the share price drops by $10, which is fine because the shareholders now have $10 in their pocket, plus a share that is worth $10 less than before). Or by buying back shares (Apple buys back shares for let's say $400 per share. With each share bought back, $400 disappears from Apple's bank account and Apple is worth $400 less, but the value of the company is divided by one share less, so the price per share is unchanged).

So really this share buyback shouldn't make any difference to the share price. It would make a very short term difference because every buyer moves the price up a tiny bit, every seller moves it down a tiny bit, so Apple buying lots of shares back moves the price up a little bit. But if you look how many Apple shares are traded everyday, that won't make much difference.

HOWEVER if Cook thinks that Apple is worth more than $400 a share, let's say $500, then every time a share is bought back the value per share goes up. That's because (if he is right) someone was stupid enough to give up a share worth $500 and got paid only $400. On the other hand, if Apple was worth $500 then a buyback a while ago when the share price was $700 would have been stupid on Apple's side, because they would have given people $700 for shares worth $500. Still, even a $60billion buy back wouldn't make that much difference.

No, the real reason for this buyback is to get rid of cash.

----------

Is it possible that Apple artificially DEflated its stock value by sending false signals to investors about porudct delays, withholding new product information, etc., and their plan all along was to temporarily drive down the stock price so they could buy it back and make a killing?

If that were true and could be proven, someone would go to jail for it. So I think nobody at Apple would do that.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

If the US wants this practice to stop, they can lower the corporate tax rate.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm not saying it's Apple's laws, I'm saying they should be bringing in the money they already have into the US and paying the tax on it. If Apple can afford a multibillion dollar HQ building they can afford to pay some taxes like the rest of us, and that goes for any corporation operating here.

Apple paid $6 billion in US taxes in 2012. How much did you pay?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Why can't they support the American economy and pay.. ALL they taxes. bring the cash back to the USA

Because I would stop buying Apple products, and so would many others. I don't have the slightest interest in the US economy. Now paying some more taxes in Britain on the other hand, that would be an excellent idea.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
In the ballpark of 39%.

No, the top rate is 35%. The effective rate is way below that, especially for a repatriation of offshore funds, given the credit for foreign tax paid. I'd be shocked if the effective rate is more than 10%. Even so, borrowing the money is still cheaper.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'm laughing at all the remarks suggesting that Apple bring some of that $145B in cash back to the U.S. for it to be subjected to tax.

If you didn't need to pay tax on some of the $145B, why would you if you didn't need to? Why would you give the tax man more money if you had other means of raising funds in a cheaper manner? :confused:

Apple is still paying taxes in the U.S., but they're also being smart with their cash on hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.