Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
You'd have to be insane to touch any of this.

30 year paper on a tech company yielding less than 4% lol. Did you miss the $500B fluctuation in market cap this past year?

I would only look at the 3 year, maybe 5 year bonds.
Compared to other investments of class, it is not bad at all.

Scottrade wants $35 for trade, that stings. Probably not worth it then...

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Apple is a multinational company. They pay taxes in several countries. The USA, almost alone in the world, double-taxes income made in another country and "repatriated" back home. The tax rates apply to all companies regardless of value. So the little guys, including me, are being hurt worse.
[/B]

I think you have that backwards. USA is one that allows credits for foreign taxes paid. Not all do.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
They have a lot of cash, but it's somewhere offshore and they don't want to pay any tax. But I actually don't think that borrowing money to calm down investors is the right way. It took more than a decade to be free from debt.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
But the real intention is for Apple to borrow in dollars from the public and use it to buy back the stock. Given the low interest rate they are getting and the low stock price at which they are going to buy the stock back, this is a huge win-win for Apple and Oppenheimer. Buy Apple stock in boatloads if one can afford it.

The buyback program is three years in duration (as is the bond sale), so they are not counting on buying back at the current price or any particular price. The objective is to reduce the number of outstanding shares over time.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Originally Posted by zin
How much would Apple's foreign reserves be subject to in the form of domestic taxes? Does anyone know an effective percentage?

35% minus any foreign income tax already paid, most likely a direct credit rather than any sort of deduction. There could be other reductions, as well, I am not a tax expert, nor do I know Apple's specifics.

Could also be State tax.

Not even close. For the last several quarters Apple has said their effective tax rate is about 25 to 26%. Plus they can deduct any foreign taxes paid as well as overseas business expenses.

----------

Ah, right. That makes a little more sense.

Again, at the risk of annoying you with an obvious question: why does Apple even need to do this in the first place? Wouldn't it be better to simply stay out of debt, push money into innovation and continue to bring out great products? The stock goes up and down; but Apple's declining stock isn't really in tandem with their profits or anything like that.

TL;DR: Why is it worth the risk? If Apple continue to be profitable as they have, won't the stock go back up again?

Apple is pushing money into R&D. They have been growing the R&D budget in line with increased sales. I believe it is now around $4B a year. That's a huge amount of money and it is growing.

Apple is generating huge amounts of money. The buy back program will not reduce Apple's cash. The cash might even keep growing (at a slower rate) over the next few years.

Borrowing the money makes this almost a free action for Apple. At current prices they are paying a little over 2% dividend. They will not pay dividend on the stock they buy back. The interest they pay on the bonds will be a little over 2% and they interest they pay reduces their taxes as a cost of business. Buying back the stock might help the current shareholders, we'll see. Buy backs are not always helpful beyond the short term.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
"Should be" those famous last words. Who decides what should be? The country is split about 50/50 on what should be. What you think should be and what I think should be are two different things. I think I'm right and you think you're right. So who's really right? I am of course. ;)

You're making up your numbers. I merely mentioned the basis of such assessments. I wasn't even referring to the differences in corporations vs citizens but those of small and large businesses. Beyond that not just foreign sales can be pushed into tax havens. As for government sinkhole again, I already mentioned that is a separate issue. It doesn't remove the need for a functional tax system. Out of curiosity, what do you really disagree with there? You are somewhat abstract like you've relegated it to ideological differences.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
There are in principle two ways that can be done: By paying dividends (each shareholder gets lets say $10 per share; since $10 per share disappears out of Apple's bank account, the share price drops by $10, which is fine because the shareholders now have $10 in their pocket, plus a share that is worth $10 less than before). Or by buying back shares (Apple buys back shares for let's say $400 per share. With each share bought back, $400 disappears from Apple's bank account and Apple is worth $400 less, but the value of the company is divided by one share less, so the price per share is unchanged)

If that were true and could be proven, someone would go to jail for it. So I think nobody at Apple would do that.

This post overall is just wrong. Share price is not related to cash reserves in the least. It's a speculative value based on the results of a company on the INCOME STATEMENT. The balance sheet has very little impact on the share price (unless the balance sheet is becoming progressively worse, i.e., liabilities are increasing steadily with no change in income).

No one would EVER go to jail for buying back shares to get rid of cash. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. CASH is not taxed. INCOME is taxed. Returns have already been filed and all that has been handled.

Not even close. For the last several quarters Apple has said their effective tax rate is about 25 to 26%.

What matters in this situation is their MARGINAL tax rate. Effective tax rate is not the measure in this case.

Why should they pay US tax on money earned ... in say ... Japan? or Thailand? or Brazil?

They should if a U.S. subsidiary is the one earning the income and the tax is less than what would be paid in the United States - and that's how it works. If the tax is $500M in a foreign country and $1MM in the US, you're going to pay the $500M difference.

That's how U.S. taxation works.

Obviously, their income is not earned by a U.S. based subsidiary or they'd be paying taxes.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
You're making up your numbers. I merely mentioned the basis of such assessments. I wasn't even referring to the differences in corporations vs citizens but those of small and large businesses. Beyond that not just foreign sales can be pushed into tax havens. As for government sinkhole again, I already mentioned that is a separate issue. It doesn't remove the need for a functional tax system. Out of curiosity, what do you really disagree with there? You are somewhat abstract like you've relegated it to ideological differences.

I'm making up numbers? Not sure what you mean by that. So you beleive that if Apple pays more taxes you will pay less? You are naive if you believe that. Government spends far more than they recieve. They will take as much as they can get and there is no quota. If Apple pays more they will spend more and you will still pay the same and probably more next year. It will never end as long as you think it is "fair". I personally need close to zero government services. Why should I pay for all these services when I need and use none of them? Is that fair? I don't think it is. Tell me why it is.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
The buyback program is three years in duration (as is the bond sale), so they are not counting on buying back at the current price or any particular price. The objective is to reduce the number of outstanding shares over time.

True, but on the other hand, the board has not stipulated a specific schedule either. If they think that the stock is under valued, they can accelarate the buy back program.

Before this bond sale on Tuesday, there were some speculation that Apple may do this over many rounds over a period of time. That made sense, since like what you also said, they do not need the money right away. In fact, they do not need any money right now even if they want to complete a significant chunk of the buy back. They have enough in post tax dollars and enough money is coming in every quarter.

But they chose to do it in one round. That may signal something about their intent on the buy back schedule. Apple seems to do things in non traditional manner. So I would not be surprised if they announce in a few months that they have completed 50% of their buy back target. That may be wishful thinking on my part since that will make me very happy.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'm making up numbers? Not sure what you mean by that. So you beleive that if Apple pays more taxes you will pay less? You are naive if you believe that. Government spends far more than they recieve. They will take as much as they can get and there is no quota. If Apple pays more they will spend more and you will still pay the same and probably more next year. It will never end as long as you think it is "fair". I personally need close to zero government services. Why should I pay for all these services when I need and use none of them? Is that fair? I don't think it is. Tell me why it is.

I wasn't trying to raise the conversation to a hostile level. Governments are more likely to raise taxes on the rest of us if they cannot balance it, but that wasn't the important point. I mentioned consistency. If the effective tax rate is too high, they should deal with that, but I doubt there's a good solution. It's unlikely that they will be able to abolish the use of tax havens in any event. In terms of services, do you drive only on private roads or not drive? These are always funded in some manner unless you take nothing but toll roads. Is the fire department based on volunteer service where you live? I realize that's possible in rural areas. Are you referring to public schools?

Anyway addressing this by being lenient on corporations is a backwards method of solving spending problems with government management.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
The rest of us end up paying for it anyway. It should be consistent, and routing through several subsidiaries to where it eventually winds up in a tax haven country is not a real option for smaller businesses or most individuals.

Here's a solution to that problem. Let's cut the marginal tax rate in exchange for getting rid of tax deductions such that it's revenue neutral. That will remove the incentive for multinationals to create those convoluted tax-avoidance schemes because it won't be as advantageous anymore. Small businesses will be on a more level playing field with multinationals because they can pay a lower marginal tax rate.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
As growth declines the debt ratio of a company increases. This is simple corporate finance.
The stock buyback program is the way to go. I never got it, why Apple started paying dividends.
Dividends attract the wrong kind of investor (stockholder).

Uh, I love corporate finance. This is the discipline where I "think different" ;)
I am curious what's coming next.

Yeah dividends attract people who want companies to make money. One of the biggest problems with the stock market is that dividends used to be very common and now are super rare.

I would much rather have investors looking at actual profit sharing rather than voodoo economics that have caused stocks to be vastly overvalued of vastly undervalued. There is no real corrected middle ground and that used to be the norm.

I do think apples dividend program is a bit half hearted and will not have much impact. I agree a buy back is a better option for apple but a dividend over time will help the stock.

----------

I think we are all ignoring MASSIVE tax advantages of having debt AND keeping money offshore.

Welcome to America, where the whole economy is based on debt and leverage

----------

Brilliantly put, thank you!

May I add: Nowadays interest rates are super low, with their 'credit score' they will get a killer rate. Sometimes borrowing cheap beats paying cash.

Yeah and the ten and thirty year rates are likely stealing as rates are so low the chances they remain low for ten to thirty more years is extremely low. Even if they do there is little downside for apple.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
What I don't get is why isn't Apple using its cash hoarde to invest in exciting technologies and infrastructure, so that it can become a titan that lasts for many decades. In mean, with $140 billion, surely a leader with imagination could do something with that?

This reeks of re-arranging chairs on the ship's deck. Not saying the ship is sinking yet, but this is just piddling around not moving in any specific direction. And it's a distraction.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
I wasn't trying to raise the conversation to a hostile level. Governments are more likely to raise taxes on the rest of us if they cannot balance it, but that wasn't the important point. I mentioned consistency. If the effective tax rate is too high, they should deal with that, but I doubt there's a good solution. It's unlikely that they will be able to abolish the use of tax havens in any event. In terms of services, do you drive only on private roads or not drive? These are always funded in some manner unless you take nothing but toll roads. Is the fire department based on volunteer service where you live? I realize that's possible in rural areas. Are you referring to public schools?

Anyway addressing this by being lenient on corporations is a backwards method of solving spending problems with government management.

"Governments are more likely to raise taxes on the rest of us if they cannot balance it".

Since when do they want or even try to balance it? Seriously? When was the last time there was a balanced budget? 14 years ago? Yes, I need roads and firemen and policemen. That's about 2% of the budget. I'll even happily pay for schools though I have no children and never will. That's maybe 8% of the budget. So the other 90% I pay for is of no importance to me. Why should I pay for 90% I will never need or use? A simple flat tax would solve all the tax problems and eliminate the loopholes and I'd happily pay for the 90% of government I don't need or use. Unfortunately, this will never happen because there are millions of tax accountants and tax lawyers that would be out of a job and they have way too much influence in politics to ever let that happen. Nothing is fair, it never has been fair and never will be. It appears you think the Government has your best interests at heart. The people in Government have there own best interests at heart. Why you want to trust them with your hard earned tax dollars is beyond me. They certainly haven't shown any good reasons for you to.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It appears you think the Government has your best interests at heart. The people in Government have there own best interests at heart. Why you want to trust them with your hard earned tax dollars is beyond me. They certainly haven't shown any good reasons for you to.

If you're going to rant, that's fine. I wasn't baiting you, making rhetorical statements, or crafting misleading arguments. I also don't subscribe to any of the opinions you just assigned me in these last few lines. I'm going to leave it at that. Edit:I meant to say you're going off on tangents, so I'll leave it at that.

Here's a solution to that problem. Let's cut the marginal tax rate in exchange for getting rid of tax deductions such that it's revenue neutral. That will remove the incentive for multinationals to create those convoluted tax-avoidance schemes because it won't be as advantageous anymore. Small businesses will be on a more level playing field with multinationals because they can pay a lower marginal tax rate.

Well there are limitations to certain practices similar to what you mention there. For example there are certain limitations on how much interest a corporation can write off from loans. This way they can't load up on debt to reduce their tax liability through interest payments while maintaining profits elsewhere. I'm not great at explaining it. Someone else may chime in there.

What I don't get is why isn't Apple using its cash hoarde to invest in exciting technologies and infrastructure, so that it can become a titan that lasts for many decades. In mean, with $140 billion, surely a leader with imagination could do something with that?

This reeks of re-arranging chairs on the ship's deck. Not saying the ship is sinking yet, but this is just piddling around not moving in any specific direction. And it's a distraction.

The topic of the cash hoard has come up for years. I kind of doubt the last CEO knew what to do with it, but you may be right about re-arranging chairs.

henrystar

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
30 years is a pretty long time for a tech company, isn’t it? A lot will happen between now and 2043…

Right! Some OTHER company will set up an ecosystem and create both computers AND comprehensive suites of software, and Apple will be left in the dust....

----------

As always the more money you have the more people want to loan you money.

lend you money.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Microsoft tried and failed. HP tried and failed. Lots of companies invested lots of money and failed. CEO of a company I worked for said: "One thing I learned: If you have money in the bank, that's a very good place for it to be.".

Apple can do what they are good at with not very much money, and buy "exciting technologies" for tens of millions or hundreds of millions. They can make massive pre-orders for parts with a billion or two. There's nothing worth buying for them that would even make a dent into this quarter's profit, ignoring what they have in the bank. So Apple could buy a record company. How would that benefit Apple? They would just have to run a record company, and they have no experience doing that, and as shown when an Apple executive left to take over JCPenney, being good at one thing doesn't mean you are good at another. They could buy a telecoms business. Sprint or AT&T or whatever. How would that help them? There's the saying "it is very easy to create a small fortune. You just have to start with a large fortune". That's what could happen to Apple if they listen to people like you.

I think returning money to shareholders is the sensible thing to do.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Last edited:

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I think returning money to shareholders is the sensible thing to do.

Still, sad to see that it has reached this stage. A company so successful, earning money so quickly it starts to focus on "returning" it to shareholders. A majority of the shareholders aren't exactly doing anything for the company, or helped the company get funded, long ago. They are just part of the sick, but so tempting, speculative money game that is today's modern world.

The only thing that sounds sensible to me is to buy back stock for the purpose of becoming a private company again. Doesn't seem like that is their real goal though. They have to treat their shareholders with 'care'... or otherwise they could have just started bringing home 50% of their foreign money, take the tax hit, and buy back a much larger amount stocks in shorter time.

But yeah, what do I know... I don't play an active part in the 'speculation' that drives the world.

akf2000

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
wrong link

Webmaster, the Update 2 'bloomberg' link is the same Reuters link as update 1.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Don't touch it. Not worth it.

Explain why its not worth it, then?

Simply saying its not worth it will only put you on everyone's ignore list.

Unless you know Apple will go bankrupt in 3 years (or 5 for 5 year), I cannot think of another reason not to invest (expect high purchase fees)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.