Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
First of all, you don’t know that because Sweden’s infection rates followed the same curve as NY/NJ without lockdowns, and Georgia saw their infection rates continue to decrease long after they opened up their economy.

Sweden didn't exactly lock down, but they didn't exactly just carry on like normal.

Americans will be fine. This virus is still largely impacted folks who have literally lived their life expectancy and have 3 other conditions present when they died. Sad, but likely not completely covid related.

Plus thousands of people who were perfectly healthy, but managed to strike the lucky jackpot and die from it anyway. Aside from being fat, you can be at higher risk from having low vitamin D, having certain blood types, certain tendencies to have heart issues (even if you're still otherwise healthy), and other issues that otherwise pretty normally healthy people would have.

People talk about how it's "reasonable risk" but sometimes it just isn't. There was a greater fundamental problem going on here: As a country, we simply didn't give a **** about people getting sick. People were going to work sick, getting everyone they interacted with sick. That should have been a big problem a long time ago. We keep talking about how many people died of the flu. Imagine if businesses were pressured into providing ample recovery time, and sick people were pressured to stay home and wear masks when they get sick. Imagine if we had a stronger culture of washing hands.

I already mentioned this, but if I go to a business and see sick employees I leave and I don't go back. I might even post a bad yelp review. I think we should lower our tolerance for scumlord business owners that see their business as an ATM.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
Haha...yeah...America did lockdown for nearly a month. Almost destroyed the economy and it didn’t work. Here we are. People follow rules pretty well, including the “70M” you think are just going around coughing on everyone.

People have to live and work. People need liberty. A lockdown only postpones new spread in a place this big bc you can’t get it down enough to not spread again. It MAY work in a small country or area with similar culture and ideas...not so easy to implement in America. It’s a big place with many different cultures, ideas, and opinions.

Even the fake story you get from large companies in America are a joke. They want to open and they want people buying their stuff in stores. They aren’t evil...they are trying to make money. Apple is only acting concerned for PR and the fact they can largely do business virtually.

China’s numbers are a total lie, just like this virus they sprung on the world and lied about

Covid having some long term impact on any large scale is completely false and not even able to be studied bc it’s less than a year old. I mean, are you serious? Lol
In no way did America lock down for a month. And North and South Dakota, which never had lockdowns, have the worst case rates in the nation.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Sweden disagrees with you. They admit now they should have locked down. And who should we believe about the efficacy of lockdowns? Scientists who have been proven right time and time again, or Trumpers who have been proven wrong over and over?
The rising rates has nothing to do with their policy... it’s about human behavior and change in weather. How else do you explain Covid rates going down to almost zero for months, only to spike recently along with the rest of the world?

Scientists were wrong about so many things, I’m baffled by your comment. They originally told us not to wear masks, that there would be 2 million deaths in the US, Covid wasn’t airborne, Georgia would see tens of thousands of deaths because they opened too early, that lockdowns were needed before reversing themselves, etc.

Science is not a religion; it’s not some infallible truth; it’s simply a methodology and it only works if people are open to differing opinions. It’s also, unfortunately, subject to politics and herd mentality, but that’s for another topic. Below are plenty of articles and links to research papers so you have a broader spectrum of what scientists have to say about lockdowns and masks.

Science on Lockdowns:
WHO Official Urges World Leaders to Stop Using Lockdowns as Primary Virus Control Method - MSN
Lockdowns DON’T Work, Study Claims - Daily Mail
WHO Joins Top Epidimiologists in Emphasizing Harm Caused by Lockdowns - reason.com
Lockdowns Haven’t Proved They’re Worth the Havoc - Bloomberg
Thousands of Scientists Urge End to ‘Devastating’ Lockdowns - Washington Times

Science on Masks - links to every recent study that debunks the mask myth. The charts alone tell the story.
The Danish Mask Study
There’s strong evidence to support that politics is what’s driving the mask debate, not science. I intentionally left out studies that show how masks affect airflow and release of aerosols because those studies don’t show how it impacts spread in the real world.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
I already mentioned this, but if I go to a business and see sick employees I leave and I don't go back. I might even post a bad yelp review. I think we should lower our tolerance for scumlord business owners that see their business as an ATM.

I do the same... also employees with masks down on chin? Won’t go back. No contactless payments? Not going back, No distancing, Not going back. Those that support the community by ensuring they are following guidelines get my business.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
We may not get our covid vaccines until JUNE!

Can you believe this?

LOTS OF PEOPLE WILL DIE. The economy and Jobs will be wiped OUT. Will take forever to recover!

We already got Hacked by the Russians. China is spying on us thru their Chinese built DRONES

Reading through this thread and see ignorant people still debating lockdowns and refusing to see the benefits of wearing masks I have some worrying news for you: you might never get a proper vaccine. If there is an occurrence of large number of infections, the chances are far higher, that there will be mutations of the virus. And with mutations there is the risk the vaccines which have been developed so far, might not be as effective.

A new mutation of the corona virus is now hitting the UK but apparently the same type has been sporadically been traced in Brazil and USA. This should hardly come as a surprise. Countries with populostic and incompetent leaderships and large numbers of uneducated people.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
The rising rates has nothing to do with their policy... it’s about human behavior and change in weather. How else do you explain Covid rates going down to almost zero for months, only to spike recently along with the rest of the world?

Scientists were wrong about so many things, I’m baffled by your comment. They originally told us not to wear masks, that there would be 2 million deaths in the US, Covid wasn’t airborne, Georgia would see tens of thousands of deaths because they opened too early, that lockdowns were needed before reversing themselves, etc.

Science is not a religion; it’s not some infallible truth; it’s simply a methodology and it only works if people are open to differing opinions. It’s also, unfortunately, subject to politics and herd mentality, but that’s for another topic. Below are plenty of articles and links to research papers so you have a broader spectrum of what scientists have to say about lockdowns and masks.

Science on Lockdowns:
WHO Official Urges World Leaders to Stop Using Lockdowns as Primary Virus Control Method - MSN
WHO Joins Top Epidimiologists in Emphasizing Harm Caused by Lockdowns - reason.com

Science on Masks - links to every recent study that debunks the mask myth. The charts alone tell the story.
The Danish Mask Study
There’s strong evidence to support that politics is what’s driving the mask debate, not science. I intentionally left out studies that show how masks affect airflow and release of aerosols because those studies don’t show how it impacts spread in the real world.

A simple Google search reveals that you are spreading not only ignorant but downright dangerous BS

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There is a reason ppl love America. We are good at a lot of things and those things might make us bad at handling pandemics. It is what it is. This will be history soon.
Yes, people loved America. Wait until 2022 and history will show who’s right or wrong, and frankly, it doesn’t matter.

America is good at a lot of things I agree, just that pandemic is not one of them. And you are right that it is what it is. At least we agree to disagree.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Yes, people loved America. Wait until 2022 and history will show who’s right or wrong, and frankly, it doesn’t matter.

America is good at a lot of things I agree, just that pandemic is not one of them. And you are right that it is what it is. At least we agree to disagree.
Look at all the people still fighting to come here. People LOVE America and those that don’t come here consume our products/services like NO other.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
A simple Google search reveals that you are spreading not only ignorant but downright dangerous BS
Strange, a simple Google search is what led me to actual science, not the BS being touted by politicians and the media, that so many people take as gospel.

And if you believe the facts I’m spreading are so ignorant and dangerous, then I welcome you to share your enlightened facts that definitively trump the ones I presented.

Reactions: Baymowe335

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
China? Good one.

Australia is an island with 2 major cities. New Zealand...same thing.

South Korea is the size of Alabama.

Australia has been criticized heavily for no masks and “idiots” running Around with no regard.

Again, every country is different. US isn’t the only place struggling. Geography matters. Reporting transparency matters. Climate matters. Pointing to lockdowns as the key “reason” certain countries do better is silly. There are many factors and many key differences that make locking down harder in different countries.

Shutdowns aren’t working in America. Say it’s Trump’s fault all you want, but he doesn’t decide what individual states do. Liberal led states are not doing well.
Shutdowns would work in the USA, if Americans had the discipline to stay home. Instead, they have to buy fancy coffee, go to bars and restaurants, and have parties with 40 of their closest friends.

Trump's fault is that he knew about the virus and downplayed it.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Shutdowns would work in the USA, if Americans had the discipline to stay home. Instead, they have to buy fancy coffee, go to bars and restaurants, and have parties with 40 of their closest friends.

Trump's fault is that he knew about the virus and downplayed it.
By your own admission, Trump wouldn’t have stopped anyone from buying coffee and going out.

Ive already said lockdowns don’t work. Blame us for why they don’t work, but they don’t work in America for sure.

A lockdown also only makes ANY sense when you have the chance to completely squash something. 200,000 cases/day means that ship has sailed. It is what it is now. Blame us, call us idiots, but we need to fire up the $20T economy and move on.

Reactions: tonyr6

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
so Covid prevention measures are working for flu, but not covid? I’m not too convinced by all the covid prevention measures at this point, considering covid is not decreasing.
All of the evidence clearly shows that when control measures are put in place, transmission decreases. State by state, country by country, when we start wearing masks and discourage people from mixing we see the growth of infection come down. Every time. When we relax those restrictions, the numbers eventually trend back up.

That really shouldn't be a surprise if you know anything at all about the germ theory of disease. We've used isolation and quarantine and protective equipment to prevent disease spread for decades. If you’re “not convinced” it’s because you don’t want to be.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Look at all the people still fighting to come here. People LOVE America and those that don’t come here consume our products/services like NO other.
Patriotism is not an inoculation against disease.
This virus is still largely impacted folks who have literally lived their life expectancy
I don't think you understand what life expectancy is, but are you really making the argument that "they lived a good life, so **** ‘em"?

Even leaving aside the number of people who have died or suffered serious long term ailments from infection even in their younger years, that‘s a pretty disturbing argument to make.

we need to fire up the $20T economy and move on.
That economy never shut down:
1608529389264.png

You needn't worry about the precious GDP, it'll still clear $20T this year.

And looking at the US, UK and Sweden, versus South Korea, it seems that lockdowns reduced the overall economic impact:
1608531469819.png

You seem be really intent on over stating the economic impacts and understating the human impacts and it would appear that following the advice you've been peddling would have made both much worse.

Last edited:

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019

Science on Lockdowns:

The Danish Mask Study
Ahh the typical parroting of Trumps BS talking points. How totally unexpected.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Strange, a simple Google search is what led me to actual science, not the BS being touted by politicians and the media, that so many people take as gospel.

And if you believe the facts I’m spreading are so ignorant and dangerous, then I welcome you to share your enlightened facts that definitively trump the ones I presented.
First, that site you're linking to gives no indication of their affiliation. The only endorsement they seem willing to put on their site is Julian Assange.

As to the so called "Danish Mask Study", it doesn't say what you think it says. All it says is that it doesn't reduce the rate of infection to the wearer by more than 50%. It goes on to say that masks likely reduce infection to the wearer by 18% and that the results would be "compatible with a reduction of 46%". But most importantly, it specifically avoids addressing the principal benefit of masks which is to protect other people from infection by the wearer.

Read these things before you start misrepresenting them so badly.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Patriotism is not an inoculation against disease.

I don't think you understand what life expectancy is, but are you really making the argument that "they lived a good life, so **** ‘em"?

Even leaving aside the number of people who have died or suffered serious long term ailments from infection even in their younger years, that‘s a pretty disturbing argument to make.

That economy never shut down:
View attachment 1698505

You needn't worry about the precious GDP, it'll still clear $20T this year.

And looking at the US, UK and Sweden, versus South Korea, it seems that lockdowns reduced the overall economic impact:
View attachment 1698517

You seem be really intent on over stating the economic impacts and understating the human impacts and it would appear that following the advice you've been peddling would have made both much worse.
I’m right bc economies have larger reopened. Sorry you feel that against some higher morality. It’s happening.

Oct 27, 2020
Avoiding the non apple stuff posted in here. I'm just going to say I'm happy Apple is taking the steps it needs to so that it can ensure it's employees and by extension families are safe by doing this and also ensuring that the employees are paid while this is happening ?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I’m right bc economies have larger reopened. Sorry you feel that against some higher morality. It’s happening.

What is it you think you’re right about?
  • You're wrong about what life expectancy means
  • You're wrong that most deaths are at ages exceeding the average life expectancy at birth
  • You‘re wrong that we need to fire up a $20T economy because even at it’s low point it was running near $20T
  • You’re wrong that refusing lockdowns is better for the economy
  • You’re wrong that lockdowns don’t work at improving health outcomes
  • You’re wrong that the US lockdown almost destroyed the economy
  • You were wrong when you thought COVID would have less deaths than the 2017-18 flu
  • You were wrong when you thought deaths would be less than 200,000
  • You’re wrong that economies are reopening when most governments are increasing restrictions right now not loosening them.
  • You're wrong that just because something is happening that it's right
Best I can tell, you've been wrong about absolutely everything except one thing: dismissing the death toll as only affecting the old and ailing is against morality.

Last edited:

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World

Actual since... You don't even have the slightest clue what "Swiss Policy Research" is, do you?

Go educate yourself. And while your at it, get your corona mask fact fix as well. If I was you, I would roam more at government controlled websites first. Not conspiracy boards. Maybe start with your own government

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Haha...yeah...America did lockdown for nearly a month. Almost destroyed the economy and it didn’t work. Here we are. People follow rules pretty well, including the “70M” you think are just going around coughing on everyone.

People have to live and work. People need liberty. A lockdown only postpones new spread in a place this big bc you can’t get it down enough to not spread again. It MAY work in a small country or area with similar culture and ideas...not so easy to implement in America. It’s a big place with many different cultures, ideas, and opinions.

Even the fake story you get from large companies in America are a joke. They want to open and they want people buying their stuff in stores. They aren’t evil...they are trying to make money. Apple is only acting concerned for PR and the fact they can largely do business virtually.

China’s numbers are a total lie, just like this virus they sprung on the world and lied about

Covid having some long term impact on any large scale is completely false and not even able to be studied bc it’s less than a year old. I mean, are you serious? Lol

The problems is, that modern Americans never had to fight a war on their own soils and never had to go through real heartship. So you don't really know what you can endure. That is probably the reason why you, as a country fail so miserably during the crisis. Why shouldn't you be able to survive and endure a lockdown for a while? All this whine about liberty and freedom. And the result? Millions of infected people and the problems are probably just about to start. Liberty and freedom - especially for a virus to spread and start mutating - making work of actual scienctists much harder to search for vaccines and in the worst case, it will probably not go away. But at least poor old Baymowe335 didn't have to endure wearing a face mask and buying a new iPhone in the mall in 2020 and holding up his freedom flag in proudness.

China numbers a lie? Yes, tell that to yourself. It's probably much easier for you to accept. Probably Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore are also lying. They also lie about masks while there are it. But then again, South Dakota is far more more densely populated than for instance Taipei and Hong Kong, right? /s

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
What is it you think you’re right about?
  • You're wrong about what life expectancy means
  • You're wrong that most deaths are at ages exceeding the average life expectancy at birth
  • You‘re wrong that we need to fire up a $20T economy because even at it’s low point it was running near $20T
  • You’re wrong that refusing lockdowns is better for the economy
  • You’re wrong that lockdowns don’t work at improving health outcomes
  • You’re wrong that the US lockdown almost destroyed the economy
  • You were wrong when you thought COVID would have less deaths than the 2017-18 flu
  • You were wrong when you thought deaths would be less than 200,000
  • You’re wrong that economies are reopening when most governments are increasing restrictions right now not loosening them.
  • You're wrong that just because something is happening that it's right
Best I can tell, you've been wrong about absolutely everything except one thing: dismissing the death toll as only affecting the old and ailing is against morality.

It seems Baymowe has left the building.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Hopefully Apple will start to reopen stores again now that Newsom has lifted stay-at-home orders. Our local mall and most stores remained open all along, with the notable exception of the Apple store which has been closed all along.

Reactions: decypher44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.