Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OB80301

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Think Different poster set

Hi all,

I used to work for Apple Education back in the day. I was digging through some old boxes in my garage today (having a clear out) and came across a sealed boxed set dated 2000. The part number on the box is L04997A. I'm not looking to sell these, as I think I'll hang onto them for 10 or 20 years and see what happens.

I can't find that part number when I do a Google search. There are photos on the front (Gandhi, Einstein, Lennon, etc), but only 6 and I think people have said the box contained 10? I've attached a few photos.

Would be interesting to know what's in them, how many, and the current realistic value (if anyone has an idea).

Cheers!

OB

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 592
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 793
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 473

dbrookes

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2013
Large Apple TD Banners

I currently have three of the 50" x 50" Think Different vinyl banners on eBay. They are the Alfred Hitchcock, Gandhi, and astronaut Buzz Aldrin. Very rare, reasonably priced.

just joined the Forum, hope I've posted properly.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
I actually just sold 10 apple think different posters as a set on eBay. Some lady just gave them to me for free! I'll always wonder what they would have been worth if I had kept them. However at this point in time they were worth more in money than to keep.

jpm.wellington

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2014
Apple New Zealand: Set of 5 posters

Hi, I have this set, however the 5 are Ali, Dylan, Gandhi, Einstein and Buzz.

Apple New Zealand: Set of 5 posters was produced. Rarity 2. These were sized appx. 18x28 and are noted by the 'apple.co.nz' website address on each. Highlight of the set includes the only 'punching' M. Ali poster that was made. Others included Dylan, Gandhi, Einstein, and Earhart.

jpm.wellington

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2014
New Zealand Set: pristine set of five

Purchased them in 1997, image attached.

Attachments

• thinkdifferent posters.jpg
    thinkdifferent posters.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,459

Kcagney1

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2015
3 Bus Stop Posters in very good condition

Would be an interesting project and I've partially done based on my knowledge and research. To complete the task you suggest, you're looking at easily 60+ different official apple posters as well as at least 7 different sizes. Would take bit of effort to gather all the images and hopefully others contribute.

For example, real Buzz Aldrin posters, while quite rare, were made in several different sizes. There exists the 24x36, the amazing bus shelter 48x72, the New Zealand 18x28, and the Apple Asia 28x40.

Guess might work that myself or others could add pictures to the rough guide I have started. Here's a copy of it for reference and might be a good starting point:

This guide is meant to educate about the history and variety of Apple Think Different Posters that Apple produced as part of their Think Different Campaign from 1997+. It was a historic campaign and reflected the huge shift in Apple that was occurring with the return of Steve Jobs who brought in TBWA/Chiat Day that ignited the new marketing campaign. I also want people to appreciate the huge scope and variety of Think Different Posters that were produced.

While some people may think that Apple only made some 24x36 and 11x17 posters, this would be grossly inaccurate and only reflect their ignorance. In fact, some of the first posters Apple produced were among the largest, rarest, and by far most desirable posters of the entire campaign. These were the 'bus shelter' posters, sized 48x72, and printed at great cost on very heavy paper stock. There are at least 7 different sizes of genuine Apple posters that were made for reference. I will also note poster rarity on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being impossible to find/acquire and 5 being highly produced/common.

- The first Apple TD(Think Different) poster, aka 'The Crazy Ones' sized 18x24. Rarity 2. This poster is named as such given its title and consists of all the spoken words by Richard Dreyfuss in the first TD ad. It also has several small pictures of people from the ad such as Einstein, Picasso, Davis, etc. and a copy of it is also in the first 2 pages of the TD Book. Very few of these were produced, small distribution as promotional giveaways, never sold publicly. Not many survived and largely unknown by most people.

- 48x72 'Bus Shelter' Posters. Rarity 1. These were the first 'portrait' posters produced and used as advertising tools at bus stops. Never offered publicly and were made in very small quantities at huge expense(heavy paper stock plus large size). Most ended up being destroyed. 7 different ones were produced, in order of desirability: M.Ali, Buzz Aldrin, Einstein, Picasso(facing/hand on head), Ghandhi, A. Hitchcock and Thomas Edison.

I stashed 3 of what appear to be original of the 48 X 72 Bus Stop Posters in my attic 15 years ago. They are on the very heavy paper and am confident they are orginal. They are in very good condition. Ali, Picasso and Edison. How would I go about getting these valued?

monta17

macrumors member
May 7, 2009
Michigan
Einstein Think Different Poster

I had posted this about 6 years ago, but thought I might ask again, because I have read on some websites that there was only one size of these posters. However, I really think this is authentic because of the fact (as stated below) that it was a display poster (not for sale) in a Art/Graphic supply store (and not purchased from a person) in early 1998 just after the campaign started. I do believe it was printed in the UK where paper sizes are different, lending a reason for the different size. I was wondering if anyone knows about these posters.
Thanks.

(original post below)

I have an Einstein Think Different Apple poster that I got in 1998 while living in Ireland in 1998. It was hanging in a graphics/art supply store (I am a graphic designer) and I begged and pleaded with them to let me have it. It measures 27 inches x (about) 38.25 inches, although I'm sure it was produced in a metric size.

It has a copyright line running vertically from the bottom left corner that reads: ©1997 Apple Computer, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Albert Einstein licensed by Roger Richman Agency, Beverly Hills, CA.

I haven't been able to find any like this online and was wondering if anyone has any info about it (I don't believe they were sold). And also how I would find out the value of it?

Thanks.

joelcannon

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2015
(repost)
I have an original think different Apple 48x72 'Bus Shelter' poster of Einstein. It has been hanging on my ceiling and has some thumbtack holes along the edges. I am considering selling it. Not sure what it is worth. Would consider an auction on eBay - but I suspect I would need to be promoted to get enough attention. What do you suggest?
I worked at Apple for 10 years - and this is is one of my favorite memorabilia - the size and quality is remarkable. I am moving and not sure I will have a suitable spot to display it in the future. So I am willing to let it go.

Kcagney1

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2015
Einstein Think Different Poster

I had posted this about 6 years ago, but thought I might ask again, because I have read on some websites that there was only one size of these posters. However, I really think this is authentic because of the fact (as stated below) that it was a display poster (not for sale) in a Art/Graphic supply store (and not purchased from a person) in early 1998 just after the campaign started. I do believe it was printed in the UK where paper sizes are different, lending a reason for the different size. I was wondering if anyone knows about these posters.
Thanks.

(original post below)

I have an Einstein Think Different Apple poster that I got in 1998 while living in Ireland in 1998. It was hanging in a graphics/art supply store (I am a graphic designer) and I begged and pleaded with them to let me have it. It measures 27 inches x (about) 38.25 inches, although I'm sure it was produced in a metric size.

It has a copyright line running vertically from the bottom left corner that reads: ©1997 Apple Computer, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Albert Einstein licensed by Roger Richman Agency, Beverly Hills, CA.

I haven't been able to find any like this online and was wondering if anyone has any info about it (I don't believe they were sold). And also how I would find out the value of it?

Thanks.

Kcagney1

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2015
I have three original Apple Think Different Bus Stop Posters - 48X72 - Any idea how/where to value?

Attachments

• Ali Poster.jpg
    Ali Poster.jpg
    746 KB · Views: 594
  • Edison Poster.jpg
    Edison Poster.jpg
    830.7 KB · Views: 523
  • Picasso Poster.jpg
    Picasso Poster.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 817

NYP

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2015
I have three original Apple Think Different Bus Stop Posters - 48X72 - Any idea how/where to value?

Do you still have hese oversized posters? I am in Minneapolis and we are setting up some Coffeeshop/ cafes with an internet /professional audience and we want to have these Oversized Think Different posters framed as our center art pieces.

Please let me now if we might work something out - either we could buy them or we could find some other arrangement which would work for you.

Thanks

Eric

Kcagney1

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2015
Do you still have hese oversized posters? I am in Minneapolis and we are setting up some Coffeeshop/ cafes with an internet /professional audience and we want to have these Oversized Think Different posters framed as our center art pieces.

Please let me now if we might work something out - either we could buy them or we could find some other arrangement which would work for you.

Thanks

Eric

Kcagney1

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2015
Hi Eric,

I have not received any information on value. I have only seen one other bus stop poster that exists. So, I am not willing to let them go as I am not in need of cash, and do not have any valuation. I would not set an asking price until I have a reasonable valuation.

Thanks Kemper

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
This isn't part of the "series" but is still a Think Different poster

IMG_2008.JPG

The really sad thing, though, is that the guy who sold/gave me this one(I bought a bunch from him, and it was part of the deal) had just thrown out the set of 5 a few days before. I wish I hadn't dragged out going to look at his stuff for so long...

NYP

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2015
(repost)
I have an original think different Apple 48x72 'Bus Shelter' poster of Einstein. It has been hanging on my ceiling and has some thumbtack holes along the edges. I am considering selling it. Not sure what it is worth. Would consider an auction on eBay - but I suspect I would need to be promoted to get enough attention. What do you suggest?
I worked at Apple for 10 years - and this is is one of my favorite memorabilia - the size and quality is remarkable. I am moving and not sure I will have a suitable spot to display it in the future. So I am willing to let it go.

NYP

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2015
I may have dropped you a note earlier- but I am a Mac fan and am opening a coffee shop in Minneapolis which caters to people plugging in and spending some time in a nice place with great internet, coffee and baked goods.....crisp , clean ....
In any case , I have several of the Think Different series and they do look great framed , but I would like to have the oversized piece as the centerpiece of the space since I assume the piece to be so impressive.

I would be interested in purchasing this if you decided to do something with it.

Let me know your thoughts . Let me know if you want to talk on the phone or I can drop you my email.

Thanks

Eric

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
I have an original "To the crazy ones" poster, bought it from the missing bite around 2005 for like $450 at the time. Anyone know the value of these posters now?

Michigan517

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2016
I have four of the five Director Series originals. Does anyone have any idea how much they are worth? They have the Chiat Day information on the bottom. It's my understanding they are extremely rare.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.