Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Okay, so in the last few weeks I received 10 Apple Think Different posters: iMac G3, G4 and Cube, Educator: Miles Davis, Albert Einstein, Pablo Picasso and 24x36: Buzz Aldrin, Martha Graham, Maria Callas and Joan Baez.

24x36 are my main concern. Although I paid only about 50€ per poster (all locally and used from The Netherlands, some at least over ten years of age, so no real clues there), I still would like to know if they're real or fake. I would still love them, but maybe slightly less ;)

IMG_0216.jpg

So the left two are slightly bigger than the right two. Right measures 61x91 (24x36 inches) left measures 68x98 cm (2,76 inch bigger). This could mean the bigger ones are fake, because the sizes are wrong, but logo placement and quality of the picture and paper seems very legit. Joan Baez which should be the right size seems too dark, because you can't make out the details on her clothing.

IMG_0218.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg

Educator posters all look like this and are from the right size:
IMG_0034.jpg

What do you guys think? Are they real, very good copies or just plain fake?

Hambone2

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2017
Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I'm fairly new to this and trying to join the collectors club. For years I've watched many auctions come and go on eBay unconvinced of their authenticity and as many of you know most on flea bay are reproductions. Recently, however, I came across a seller on flea bay that seemed to fit the description WardC listed below; (thx btw boss man!). The seller had two Hitchcock's, two Robinson's and a handful of other 24x36 including Picasso, Earheart, and Davis. I managed to snag one Hitchcock and one Robinson for a crazy low price in an auction for around 25$ (21£) for both.

I've lurked a lot of your old posts and am truly grateful for all the advice you've all shared over these years. This community shared advice has saved me from for making a lot terribly expensive and worthless investments. With that said I've included photos of the lot and close ups of the "authentic" ones I won. The seller was also from the US if that helps. Any advice from you real collectors or comparisons to help me prove whether they are real or not would be greatly appreciated! Once again thank you all!

Oh, one final note! The tubes they were sent in have numbers written on the side in black marker, is that any indication?

About the 24x36" Posters...

I have posted to this thread before...I am an avid "Think different" collector, I mainly collect the 24x36" size, and I am only lacking a few of them in the series...

But I must say -- they are more and more counterfeits appearing on eBay these days, and they are getting harder to decipher. Sellers with high feedback ratings are posting ads saying "Stored in tube since acquired, former Apple employee, unrolled only once to photograph, in mint condition, etc"

Some will even go to the extent to post photos of StartingLine official mailing tubes that the Think different sets were mailed in (in 1997-1998).

You really have to be careful, it is difficult to find genuine good posters these days.

I know for a fact that all of the posters offered from Germany (for the most part) from eBay sellers such as vitor-belfort, are reprints, and not originals. They are "good" reprints, the Buzz Aldrin posters he offers are very crisp, high quality posters, but not the original zoom-distance Buzz Photo that is featured on the -Authentic- poster from Apple, which shows a larger, closer-zoomed Buzz. The Albert Einstein posters from this seller are lower-quality, you cannot see the knit sweater stitches, which are all visible on authentic Albert Einstein 24x36 posters (and these are EXTREMELY hard to find)....

There is one seller who seems to be offering some authentic rarities such as a Dalai Lama for $599 (on mounting board), a Charlie Chaplin (sold) a Flick (Bug's Life) - for $1499, and a Francis Ford Copolla for $999...he has posted a long story on the listings of how he supposedly acquired all of these posters, and says they are 100% authentic -- his prices on them are astronomical and out of the range I would pay, considering that such paper-good posters can be easily reproduced, and these could easily be undeniably-authentic knock-offs that would never be proved otherwise, so no way am I shelling out that cash for those posters. I would be interested in a Dalai Lama, but the one he is offering is permanently affixed to styrofoam board (glued)...which detracts from the collectible value, in my opinion.

The highest valued easily-obtainable posters at the current moment are probably the Richard Feynman, the Ansel Adams, the Jackie Robinson, and the Frank Sinatra...

Amelia Earhart, Thomas Edison, Pablo Picasso, Alfred Hitchcock, Ghandi....are probably the easiest and cheapest ones to find...

Joan Baez, Jim Henson & Kermit, Miles Davis, Maria Callas, Lucy & Desi, Martha Graham, and Ted Turner are also easy-to-find but I see them in lower numbers than the previous ones above.

The "Director's Series" (featured in large banners at Macworld SF 2000) was the last series to-be-released, and was never released. "Supposedly" a few were printed and given to Apple employees and featured within the Apple campus, and these posters, the eBay seller claims he acquired in California and that they are originals, rare, and worth the money he is offering them for. So far, those posters have been up over 6 months and he has only sold one or two of them. Lately, I have seen a number of the Flick posters being offered (24x36") at much lower $75-100 prices, so I grabbed two of these, with the thought they "could be" originals and "may be" rare and worth something. Who knows, they may be reprints, I've never seen the original.

So, as for re-prints, you need to look closely at the printing....does the printing look "too dark" -- is the image "blurry" -- or does it seem pixellated, as if printed from a low-res JPEG image?? I once bought a Richard Feynman poster from eBay, and found it to be a fake re-print, because I knew what the original looked like....the one I had was grainy and pixellated on close inspection, and they guy had sold it to me for over $275 -- yeah, so you must be very, very careful in buying these expensive collectors Think different posters.

If you see somebody offer a listing of them, including 4 or 5 posters which make up one of the "official" sets, and the photos are actual pictures of the laid-out posters, taken by a reputable eBay member who says they have owned these posters, or bought the set years ago -- there is a good chance that this is the REAL DEAL and they are real posters.

If you see somebody offer a load of posters, mixed of different sets (usually from the German eBay sellers), who will start these auctions off cheap -- pretty much all of these German posters are re-prints, and not originals, maybe worth the $12 - $20 that you are willing to spend, but not worth anything more than $30.

Original 24x36" posters are a bargain at $50 or less, still reasonable at $75...the common ones I have seen go upward of the $100 - $135 range.

The rare ones, such as the Richard Feynman - a very "sought-after" poster, I have seen go for over $200.

In my opinion, the two rarest of the 24x36" -released- posters are the original Albert Einstein, and the original Buzz Aldrin, which are incredibly hard to find now. Again, the ones offered by the German sellers are re-prints, I have only seen originals on eBay 2-3 times in the last 12 years.

An original Albert Einstein 24x36" was offered by RedLightRunner a few year ago for $600, and it did sell. It is no longer offered. There was also one on Amazon's website, but it is no longer available. I have seen a pair of them on eBay a couple years ago, they were originals but had crease damage. The Einstein posters offered by the German sellers are re-prints, as I have said above.

I hope this short bit of my experiences in Think different poster collecting has helped you understand and be prepared in your buying and collecting adventures...just be smart, educate yourself, and know the market. If you have a gut feeling that something is a knock-off poster or re-print, it probably is. Do not hesitate to message the sellers with as many questions to possibly verify authenticity, it is your good money, after all, and the way I see it, this is both a fun hobby and a smart investment for the future.

Good luck, happy collecting, and don't forget to  "Think different" 

Attachments

• IMG_0414.PNG
    IMG_0414.PNG
    924.5 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0416.PNG
    IMG_0416.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 371
  • IMG_0415.PNG
    IMG_0415.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 357
Last edited:

Hambone2

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2017
Sorry for the double post just wanted to confirm that unpublished posters are in fact real, I was able to find A Nelson Mandela with similar TWBA Information on the bottom. Pics included

Unpublished posters

I recently brought the attached poster. I thought it was a fake, so I emailed TWBA about it, it's genuine, but unpublished. I brought it not knowing who she was, but TWBA confirmed that it's Mary Wells. I've NEVER seen this poster before, and after trawling arround on the internet, I thought I'd post it, so others know about this.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 361
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 341

bartap74

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
Registered to post on this thread. I'm looking for an authentic Bob Dylan TD poster (24 x 36) and so far haven't had much luck. Any thoughts on where I'd look?

dewd182

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2017
Registered to post on this thread. I'm looking for an authentic Bob Dylan TD poster (24 x 36) and so far haven't had much luck. Any thoughts on where I'd look?
I have an authentic Bob Dylan 24x36, PM me if you are still interested. I also have two plastic sealed "Educator Series" box sets as well.

Folgore66

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2019
Ciao, ho due poster della campagna pubblicitaria Apple Think Different. Ho comprato questi poster in un mercato locale in Italia. Il venditore mi ha detto che provenivano da un negozio Apple in disuso. Entrambi hanno telai con vetro, Hitchcock è datato 1997, mentre Aldrin è datato 1998. Vorrei sapere se sono autentici, grazie

IMG_5875.jpg
IMG_5876.jpg

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Does anyone know of the first poster being seen for sale or a value of it?

The first Apple TD(Think Different) poster, aka 'The Crazy Ones' sized 18x24. Rarity 2. This poster is named as such given its title and consists of all the spoken words by Richard Dreyfuss in the first TD ad. It also has several small pictures of people from the ad such as Einstein, Picasso, Davis, etc. and a copy of it is also in the first 2 pages of the TD Book. Very few of these were produced, small distribution as promotional giveaways, never sold publicly. Not many survived and largely unknown by most people.

Michigan517

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2016
Sorry for the double post just wanted to confirm that unpublished posters are in fact real, I was able to find A Nelson Mandela with similar TWBA Information on the bottom. Pics included
I have four magazine proofs like the TWBA information on them as well. I purchased them a number of years ago from a guy who used to be one of the largest resellers of Apple computers (prior to Apple Stores being a thing). They were given to him as a gift from his Apple sales rep. Here's a pic of one.

Attachments

• IMG_4593.jpeg
    IMG_4593.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_4594.jpeg
    IMG_4594.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 136

andrin.sigi85

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2019
Switzerland
Hi together!
I found this thread so I thought I write here concernig my posters. I live in switzerland and had a big collection of apple in the last 15 years. I bought a few TD posters years ago (probably 10 years). Don't remember from who and what price...
Now that I have not enough room, I think of selling the posters. For this I want to make shure that they are real. I hope you expert here can probably help identify them. All of them are with coloured apple and have copyright notice on them.
I'm confused because of the size. I read somewhere of somebody about the same size and that they were from ireland and england.
1. Picasso 68x97cm
2. Ghandi size is a bit larger than the others: 70 x 99cm. Black writing, apple logo slightly larger.
Also seen a lot of different pics on the internet which are not exactly the same crop of the image, so with this one I am the most unshure about originality.
3. Hitchcock 68x97cm
4. Einstein 68x97cm

I attached some photos. I hope someone can help...
Thank you very much!

Attachments

• IMG_7801.jpeg
    IMG_7801.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7804.jpeg
    IMG_7804.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_7809.jpeg
    IMG_7809.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_7806.jpeg
    IMG_7806.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 154

ShyHoneyBunny

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2021
I have an original Apple "Think Different" Mahatma Gandhi Bus Stop Poster.
It was originally displayed at Indiana University in the late 1990s.

Does anyone have know how I can find out what it's worth or the best place to find a buyer?

IMG_3272.jpeg

collectapple

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2021

Does anyone have know how I can find out what it's worth or the best place to find a buyer?

View attachment 1833057
I'm curious to know if you found a value or buyer for this poster. Also, I don't believe the other commenter is correct that this would go for such a low price. The "Bus Shelter" (48x69) posters are one of the most rare of the posters and are often badly damaged from use.

ShyHoneyBunny

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2021
I'm curious to know if you found a value or buyer for this poster. Also, I don't believe the other commenter is correct that this would go for such a low price. The "Bus Shelter" (48x69) posters are one of the most rare of the posters and are often badly damaged from use.

I wasn't able to find a single poster, like mine, for sale online. The closest comparables I found were smaller sizes (24" x 36"), and the prices ranged from $500 - $5,000. The one I have is the extra large "Bus Shelter" poster of Gandhi. It's still sitting in my closet and I have no idea what to do with it now. It's a such a shame... I've held onto it for so many years and no one seems to have any interest it buying it. Given how rare these are to find, I think I'm going to reach out to a few Apple Museums to see if they could utilize it. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 8.31.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 8.31.15 AM.png
    976.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 8.21.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 8.21.29 AM.png
    201.9 KB · Views: 100

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
Ok, this seems like a jungle.
I have recently inherited a Think Different Poster with Einstein. The poster is somewhat bigger than 24x36". 68x97cm seems about right. Like the ones pictured above.
It could be a fake, but the person I inherited it from worked at the largest Apple reseller in the country at that time, so it would be reasonable to think that is where he got it from. Could it be the posters sent to Apple Resellers were slightly larger? This is also in Europe, where a standard poster size is 70x100cm.
Did anyone come to any conclusions about the "correct" size?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.