Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
It would indeed be interesting to know how this could legally stick. All I can think of is that if the Court's declare what is an arms-length price for the use of the patent, then every other jurisdiction will probably follow it, or be interested to hear arguments as to why it shouldn't be followed - a soft precedent as opposed to a hard legally binding declaration.
True, and every company that licenses or purchases from Qualcomm is also on the hook. But wouldn’t Qualcomm be forced out of business as well?

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
So, Apple says patent disputes BAD. Will leave UK if they don't get their way.

BUT

Apple says torturing Uyghurs, using slave labor, and restricting the free speech rights of citizens OK (China).

Or bowing to Russia to allow the oppressive anti LGTBQ+ community to monitor all their citizens without question.

So, we see what Apple is really all about. It's not about doing the right thing, or thinking different, or being a progressive company. It's about money. That's all it's really about.

Which, hey. I'm OK with this. It's a multinational corporation, not a campfire circle. But don't give me this socially responsible line when you're not. It's just hypocritical. I would rather you were just an evil megacorp and owned the whole vacuum cleaner of money schtick that try and BS the world.

I would rather you were just evil like IBM or Shell. They may be evil, but at least they're not hypocritical about it.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
So, Apple says patent disputes BAD. Will leave UK if they don't get their way.

BUT

Apple says torturing Uyghurs, using slave labor, and restricting the free speech rights of citizens OK (China).

Or bowing to Russia to allow the oppressive anti LGTBQ+ community to monitor all their citizens without question.

So, we see what Apple is really all about. It's not about doing the right thing, or thinking different, or being a progressive company. It's about money. That's all it's really about.

Which, hey. I'm OK with this. It's a multinational corporation, not a campfire circle. But don't give me this socially responsible line when you're not. It's just hypocritical. I would rather you were just an evil megacorp and owned the whole vacuum cleaner of money schtick that try and BS the world.

I would rather you were just evil like IBM or Shell. They may be evil, but at least they're not hypocritical about it.
Boy this was a stretch

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I'm no fan of patent trolls (this sounds like one), but that doesn't mean I side with Apple as many US tech companies are classic patent trolls themselves. Apple threatening to leave UK, good luck with that threat. Apple iPhones are in a minority in the world already and this will make their share even less.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
coming out with that kinda of threat just makes me, a UK apple customer, feel less likely to want to give them money now if they say they are gonna consider refusing to sell me their products/services in the future. why should i spend £2,000-3,000 on a new Mac or give them £/month for Apple Music/TV/iCloud, etc and then lose access/support to them.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
coming out with that kinda of threat just makes me, a UK apple customer, feel less likely to want to give them money now if they say they are gonna consider refusing to sell me their products/services in the future. why should i spend £2,000-3,000 on a new Mac or give them £/month for Apple Music/TV/iCloud, etc and then lose access/support to them.
Time for you to get out and vote. If you don't like patent trolls, don't support government officials that put people in power of supporting patent trolls.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
330,000 jobs gone for the British people along with their Apple products. Hey it’s more important to rule on the side of a Patent Troll right? I’m sure the British people will be ok with that….unbelievable! how clueless(courts) can governments be?
surely the judge will factor all this into the ruling? apple leaving would be a blow to the country but hey that's all we seem to be doing the last few years so i wouldn't be surprised if this backwards ass country shot itself in the foot (again).

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
So, Apple licenses the cellular from Qualcomm, including IP that has nothing to do with what Apple purchases from Qualcomm. So this judge is saying Qualcomm does not own the rights being licensed? Crazy!

does this judgement then also apply to all smartphone makers using Qualcomm cellular chips? Shouldn’t the suit be against Qualcomm for licensing what they don’t own?
If I buy a toaster, and one of the chips inside it is later found to have infringed on some troll's patent, should I as the customer be on the hook for the unpaid licensing fee? It's absolute nonsense.

If this is about Qualcomm products that Apple has purchased on the understanding that they are fully-licensed and above board, then Qualcomm are liable, not Apple.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
330,000 jobs gone for the British people along with their Apple products. Hey it’s more important to rule on the side of a Patent Troll right? I’m sure the British people will be ok with that….unbelievable! how clueless(courts) can governments be?
Surely you do not believe Apple's ridiculous figures of jobs supported by the App Store? They often make such claims that really stretch credibility.

BlueTide

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA

This might be an outlandish idea, but how about ruling by the law and not politics?

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
1626095384999.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.