Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
****ing.

Make.

Patent.

Trolling.

Illegal.

It’s not hard.

If you invent something but don’t intend to make a product out of it then you’re a science fiction writer not a product developing company.
Says a person who obviously never developed a patent for an original idea.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
****ing.

Make.

Patent.

Trolling.

Illegal.

It’s not hard.

If you invent something but don’t intend to make a product out of it then you’re a science fiction writer not a product developing company.
Ahh, I see. It's your determination of my intent that counts for property rights. Thanks, look forward to seeing the actual statute.

If my invention just takes an additional billion dollars to commercialize, do you get to own it if I'm having to take all my legally awarded limited monopoly time to find that partner? Do I have a right to sell or license my invention in the meantime? Yes I do, just like any other property I own. If I sell it to someone else do they have the right to use or profit from the invention they now own? Yes they do, just like that or all of the patents they may have purchased or licensed with the rights to do so.

Others opinions that they don't have to wait for the patent to expire, or they just wanna use it because reasons is nonsense. Buy it, license it, or invent around it. It's done all the time everywhere in the world.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
The thing is, nobody uses your invention. Companies like Qualcom and Apple came to the exact same solution independently of yours and now you demand billion for something quite basic.

If they “come to exact same solution independently” as I did in my patent but after a patent with timing priority is granted to me, they have to pay me or anybody I assign or sell it to.

it’s about timing priority of disclosure of invention.

You don’t seem to know much about the patent field works.

Just ask Elisha Gray.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I've learned that powerful entities don't make idle threats. They make statements.
If Apple is willing to leave the UK market over 7 billion dollars, that means the UK market is pretty insignificant to their bottomline. Don't worry Brits, y'all can still buy Apple stuff in Ireland (not part UK).
This is what Apple can do for UK customers. Simply exit the market and create more infrastructure in nearby countries. Apple doesn't have official presence in my country (only official distributor), but they set up 3 Apple stores in a nearby country where most of its tourists are people from my country. The only caveat is covid, preventing most air travels.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
What do these patent trolls do with money they are awarded? Anything that benefits the sector supposedly infringed upon?

yours is a strawman argument that demonstrates ignorance of how patents work.

what anybody does with their patent income is irrelevant. That’s a full strawman not worthy of more words.

what is relevant is that the patent is disclosed to benefit society.

Such disclosure leads to many other minds either applying (exclusive use or licensing), advancing (ancillary patents) or finding alternative solutions (new patents) to the same problem.

Each of these potentially benefits society. The reward for sharing this creativity is an exclusive ownership right for a fixed period of time.

As an item of property that right can be monitored directly or sold on for another party to do as long as the patent is valid, applicable and not expired.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Apple has a turnover of around 75 billion a year in the whole of Europe. UK is a large market, but it’s not that large that they are willing to turn over 7bln. That might be the net profit of the whole of Europe.
I would love to see Apple leaving the UK, shutting down ALL services and than see the face of the judge when he wakes up and his iPhone doesn’t work anymore. Nor his iPad. Or his MacBook, Apple tv, apple watch…
Well, that's not how it works. :D Apple devices will still work. It's just that for future purchases and support, a Britton will have to go to, let's say Ireland., or import them online. There are plenty of Apple users in countries where Apple is not present.

Reactions: H2SO4

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
What is the UK market worth to Apple over the next say 5 or 10 years vs fine I suppose is the question.
Well it’s more than that actually.

It could be signaling to other countries that might do the same thing.

But that’s only theory. Because apple’s not going to pull out of markets because if you aren’t in markets you are out of business. (This is not to say that one has to be in every market but if one is leaving big markets with long term profits one is also leaving those profits to one’s competitors which also makes them stronger in all the markets you do remain in.)

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
I've learned that powerful entities don't make idle threats. They make statements.
If Apple is willing to leave the UK market over 7 billion dollars, that means the UK market is pretty insignificant to their bottomline. Don't worry Brits, y'all can still buy Apple stuff in Ireland (not part UK).

That may be true but it wouldn't apply to lawyers in a courtroom.
Powerful lawyers in a courtroom don't make statements, they say plausible suppositions to try to win cases.

The exec management at Apple is unlikely to have read over legal briefs and ok'd it. They probably are finding out about the "exit UK market" supposition when it was reported in the corporate media.

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
This is happening a lot these days. Everyone is starting to see through the smoke and mirrors of apple. bye felicia!!!

Reactions: RedRage

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
The UK (well England) basically wrecked the entire world, refuses to even apologise for the atrocities it committed and still arrogantly believes what it did was for the good of the indigenous peoples. My country has blood on its hands, feet and face and is guilty of some of the worst human crimes in history including but not limited to the entire slave trade.

Interesting rant for sure. I suggest that you take time to fully understand the actual history of the events, rather than what you think you know, or what you’ve been led to believe. It was actually the British that stopped the global slave trade. They were the first nation in the world to make it illegal to own a slave and even used the Royal Navy to enforce this policy on the world.

Start here:

Last edited:
Reactions: scgf

jgdeschamps

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I suggested some months or weeks ago that Apple as a business could opt for shutting off app developer access to their products and screen for only selected dev teams for third party app development and services ala Apple Arcade if all these anticompetitive lawsuits and nonsense continued... but them opting out of a country, wow! Didn't see that coming!

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Not newsworthy. This will never happen. No possible outcome could ever make it commercially unacceptable for Apple to stay in one of the key markets. The share price of Apple would drop like never before.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
I don't see how anyone can call them a patent troll. They made a technology or patented it and are just doing what needs to be done.... Trust me if Apple had certain patents and the were infringed upon they would sue too. And if you think anything different your clueless. They protect their patents that is why people patent things. Apple would be the same way.

James

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
You are quite funny. If I invent something and apply for a patent and then receive said patent, I can then do as little or as much with the patent as I choose. What do you not understand about that simple premise?

If another party wishes to use some or all of my invention which was invented and patented due to my intelligence and skills, that party is free to approach me and open negotiations. Whether I agree to licence or sell the patent is up to me. I own it.

The problem is that these patent trolls didn't invent anything. They are usually third parties that bought the patent, so they didn't even do the first part.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
Some years ago I developed an idea in the medical area (related to sleep equipment like cpaps) and was able to obtain a "provisional patent" from the Patent Office for $100.00, plus the cost of the software to ensure it was in the proper format. The "provisional" aspect gives you 1 year's protection, allowed me to work with the first company on my list and to move towards a normal patent, which is far more expensive. A grand approach for a "normal person" without grand wealth.

Unfortunately my better half received a Dx of leukemia and headed to the hospital for a month of chemo - the first of 20 months total - and my attention was somewhere more important than the provisional patent so it 'passed".

While this leads me to be sensitive to legitimate patent holders it does exclude trolls.

My preference would be to offer the troll's law firm $1 billion plus 20% commission (the lawyer's term for commission is contingency fees, but it's just like a commission) and leave it to them to "push" their client. That money would cover all past, present and future cascades and would also cover any sales from one troll to another to "shift" the risk of Apple to anyone else.

As for for judges, they may not be elected but they cans be humiliated in public - like being expelled from their favorite "clubs" or ridiculed in public. They might also find it difficult to argue why they have standing in other countries after the BRITEX completion.

Apple might even find other countries that would be happy to rule in their favor on the lawsuit plus rejecting the patent application. If the troll doesn't have the cash it will be hard for them to legally defend the hundred's of lawsuits from around the world.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
It’s almost like the UK gov’t is searching for creative new ways to alienate Scotland, N Ireland, and Wales into leaving.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
late stage global feudal capitalism is certainly interesting if nothing else.

watching corporations and nation states play chicken with each other is quite a show

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
If they “come to exact same solution independently” as I did in my patent but after a patent with timing priority is granted to me, they have to pay me or anybody I assign or sell it to.

it’s about timing priority of disclosure of invention.

You don’t seem to know much about the patent field works.

Just ask Elisha Gray.

It is about patent trolls getting award ******** things that anyone can up with. And when someone comes up with the same thing, they demand billions.

As a result of these trolls, the society has to pay far higher prices, for a bunch patent trolls who contribute nothing and are just leeching from the system.

The rules need to change.

And Apple is right. It is better to leave the UK than being trolled by the patent system.

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Sorry bud, that’s not correct. Apple actually makes things. A troll doesn’t.
So what if Apple makes things. But Apple does not make everything, this surely means that some patents they hold are either not being used and possibly never will be.
You can't have it both ways, if they have a patent they have no intention of using does that make you a troll?

I make electrical goods, if I hold a patent for something not connected to my industry for no reason or for something in my industry that I have no intention of making, am I a troll?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Interesting rant for sure. I suggest that you take time to fully understand the actual history of the events, rather than what you think you know, or what you’ve been led to believe. It was actually the British that stopped the global slave trade. They were the first nation in the world to make it illegal to own a slave and even used the Royal Navy to enforce this policy on the world.

Start here:
I'm not sure your post makes his/hers wrong?
If I start something and destroy it, me fixing it doesn't make me right.

kyeblue

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
Long Island, New York
It is absurd that the British judge thinks that a UK judge can determine the global rates. What if an Irish judge issued a different rate, and a Canadian judge issues his/her own?

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
So, Apple says patent disputes BAD. Will leave UK if they don't get their way.

BUT

Apple says torturing Uyghurs, using slave labor, and restricting the free speech rights of citizens OK (China).

Or bowing to Russia to allow the oppressive anti LGTBQ+ community to monitor all their citizens without question.

So, we see what Apple is really all about. It's not about doing the right thing, or thinking different, or being a progressive company. It's about money. That's all it's really about.

Which, hey. I'm OK with this. It's a multinational corporation, not a campfire circle. But don't give me this socially responsible line when you're not. It's just hypocritical. I would rather you were just an evil megacorp and owned the whole vacuum cleaner of money schtick that try and BS the world.

I would rather you were just evil like IBM or Shell. They may be evil, but at least they're not hypocritical about it.
This is such a good take. ?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
The way the patent system currently works is reality and companies must work within that system and applicable laws. If said system is deemed to be unfair, lacking sense, and detrimental to the furthering of tech innovation and production, those who want change should get their lobbying resources and efforts in gear and get the change ball rolling. Until the system is legally changed, follow the rules.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Revenue is not the right metric, bur profits, as that payment (7 billion) will come right out of Apple's coffers, so if we take a 30% profit margin 1.5 B revenue equals 450 M profits, so a 7 billion fine equals more than 15 years of profits, not 4.
Not profits, but net contribution, since profits include absorbed overhead. So it would be less than 15 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.