Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Yeah, I never suggested it didn't help at all, but it still happens regularly if places like Facebook marketplace and Reddit are to be believed. Do you suppose most people stealing locked phones realize they're worthless and are going to try to rip off a buyer, too, or are they truly unaware?
I think people who are stealing phones are people who are desperate enough to need $5 by any means necessary, and they know someone who will buy it from them for $5 (to sell for $20). If locked phones aren't even worth that anymore, then I'd expect the crackheads et al will learn soon enough.

motorazr

macrumors 6502
If you own both phones, then why would activation lock have any impact on you?
You may be surprised how many people break their iPhone, then can not unlock find my device (didn’t keep receipt, or receipt isn’t considered valid by Apple), so it is left without repair. They replace the phone. They break the new one some other way x months later and now hope to farm the working part from broken phone x to newer purchase.

Anyway. Is what it is.

• Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
These "we want to repair our phones" people are an ultra minority squeaky wheel that is getting too much grease.
I don't want to repair my phone, but I want my phone to have more resale value because it can be repaired if necessary. See how that works?

I also think it's just generally better for the world if a device I've moved on from can still get used by someone else. None of that happens if devices can't be repaired.

• Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
You may be surprised how many people break their iPhone, then can not unlock find my device (didn’t keep receipt, or receipt isn’t considered valid by Apple), so it is left without repair. They replace the phone. They break the new one some other way x months later and now hope to farm the working part from broken phone x to newer purchase.

Anyway. Is what it is.
What's stopping someone from just logging into iCloud to remove it?

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
Activation lock applied to parts will infuriate independent service providers.
Apple is explaining it as something good but in reality is another blow to independent shops.

Most of these shops purchase used iPhone in bulk, most come from customer returns o exchanges (like when you sent your used device to T Mobile). Most of them are activation locked.

Now, the will have another less source for parts.
Apple is explaining it as something good because it is something good, at least for Apple’s customers. It isn’t Apple’s responsibility to ensure that carriers follow proper (and trivially easy) return procedure, but it is Apple’s responsibility to deter theft of their customers’ devices where possible.

Reactions: Timpetus

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Activation lock applied to parts will infuriate independent service providers.
Apple is explaining it as something good but in reality is another blow to independent shops.

Most of these shops purchase used iPhone in bulk, most come from customer returns o exchanges (like when you sent your used device to T Mobile). Most of them are activation locked.

Now, the will have another less source for parts.
Don’t use parts from stolen devices. It’s not hard to deactivate lock before buying from genuine sellers.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Making iphones stolen or maybe simply lost, unusable, will be more environmentally friendly 😂
Truth is icloud block is only apple's another greedy way to make money, masked by the best antitheft system ever.
A thief will get a sitting phone on a table regardless if its an cheap android or an iphone 15. It's an occasion to get it so he will get it! What then? He will sell it anyway, even for few bucks. BUT when it will realize that its worth 0, he will throw it. No money for thief, no phone for the victim, who will buy another one. One iphone stolen = one more iphone sold by apple. Yeahthe victim may have the satisfaction that damn thief doesnt earned a buck, however another big thief earned a lot more...
Another example not involving thiefs. My friend works in a big company, where workers are given phones, some iphones some androids. When they stops working there, they obviously return those phones. Well, no one checks the state of those phones and most of them are given back locked. While u can unlock androids, iphones are unusable. My friend sent my once a photo of a box full of locked iphones... Again apple earns, my friend's company loses...
Looks like incompetence issue at the company. It’s not some one else’s problem.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

Anyway. Is what it is.

Darwin's law would seem to apply here :)

You can't help stupid.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020

Anyway. Is what it is.
So stupid people may do a stupid thing for no reason? Is that really the point you're making here, or have I misunderstood?

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

repoman016

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
Making iphones stolen or maybe simply lost, unusable, will be more environmentally friendly 😂
Truth is icloud block is only apple's another greedy way to make money, masked by the best antitheft system ever.
A thief will get a sitting phone on a table regardless if its an cheap android or an iphone 15. It's an occasion to get it so he will get it! What then? He will sell it anyway, even for few bucks. BUT when it will realize that its worth 0, he will throw it. No money for thief, no phone for the victim, who will buy another one. One iphone stolen = one more iphone sold by apple. Yeahthe victim may have the satisfaction that damn thief doesnt earned a buck, however another big thief earned a lot more...
Another example not involving thiefs. My friend works in a big company, where workers are given phones, some iphones some androids. When they stops working there, they obviously return those phones. Well, no one checks the state of those phones and most of them are given back locked. While u can unlock androids, iphones are unusable. My friend sent my once a photo of a box full of locked iphones... Again apple earns, my friend's company loses...
If you're friends work phones were purchased by the company and have proof of reciept/IMEI's, apple can removie Apple ID from them

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
If it can go in the service history of the device, then why can't they allow at least limited third party parts to be used for repairs? Aside from for profit related reasons, of course. Give consumers the option, and provide a concise page showing buyers of second hand devices what they're getting. Win win.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
If it can go in the service history of the device, then why can't they allow at least limited third party parts to be used for repairs? Aside from for profit related reasons, of course. Give consumers the option, and provide a concise page showing buyers of second hand devices what they're getting. Win win.
Too much liability. What happens if third party parts wrecks the phone? If Apple says they won’t repair phones with third party parts, there will be law suits.

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.