Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
That's a process problem. Not a tech problem. Just poor asset management and poor policies; there are plenty of solutions to your friend's problem, they just require planning.
If your friend has never heard of MDM then maybe he should be fired for incompetence. It's not Apple who is causing the loss but the poor asset management and policies, as another user said.
Looks like incompetence issue at the company. It’s not some one else’s problem.
My friend only said there is a box full of locked iphones and the reason, he dont get returns personally. anyway i think a big corporate company, doesnt have time to reorganize its policies because another company changed the rules. if such company gives car, clothes, various gear/accessories, they dont have to ask worker to "unlock" it when returning. apple should simplify this process like giving an option to setup a master/admin like account that, in case, has the permissions to delete (without accessing data) of the main account. Theres something similar in new ios but it also gives access to all data so i doubt someones uses it. i mean, everybody has some secrets...
If you're friends work phones were purchased by the company and have proof of reciept/IMEI's, apple can removie Apple ID from them
really? a link to how to do it? so basically a gelous guy can simply get receipt of wife's iphone and unlock it so easily?
That thrown out device can be located and reacquired.

In my honest opinion this will be the best implementation of activation lock.
even the dumbest thief knows how to remove sim and/or activate plane mode / turn phone off. and he will certainly do it before u even realize u lost your phone...

Last edited:

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
So the thief will then realize that stealing phone is worthless and won't do it again. If a thief makes the money, he only gets encourage to steal more. Either way, a lost phone needs to be replaced.

As far as you 2nd part, that is a company policy issue and nothing to do with iPhone.
i doubt that a thief that steals phones/wallets will be stopped so easily... and, yes a lost phone needs to be replaced, however, if unlocked, the stolen one will be still sold to someone that will use it instead of buying a new one.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
In the case the other commenter used the parts would be locked to your devices. You can unlock the device [1]. Any parts you pull from one phone to fix the other phone will be unlocked.

1. If you can't unlock because you don't have access to your iCloud account, get access to your iCloud account. If you can't unlock because you have no proof of purchase, it's a lesson hopefully learned isn't it?

You know who activation lock hurts the most?

The elderly.

I see it all the time. User gets locked out of their own device, because they forgot their Apple ID password. A lot of the time they don't even know what an Apple ID is. They wrote down a password years ago, on a piece of paper they lost. They have the piece of paper, but at some point after they wrote it down they got prompted to change the password.

I've got an Apple watch 7 sitting beside me right now. It's iCloud locked. The owner asked me to sell it for them, but I can't until I go back over there, figure out what Apple ID they used (because the watch has been erased and it won't show the full email address, and they have at least three), and remove it from that Apple ID. It's waiting until I have another reason to go over there, because otherwise I'd have so much time in it that I might as well just recycle it. It's in near-new condition, everything about it is legit, but as it sits it's effectively worthless.

It's infuriating.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020

The elderly.

I see it all the time. User gets locked out of their own device, because they forgot their Apple ID password. A lot of the time they don't even know what an Apple ID is. They wrote down a password years ago, on a piece of paper they lost. They have the piece of paper, but at some point after they wrote it down they got prompted to change the password.

I've got an Apple watch 7 sitting beside me right now. It's iCloud locked. The owner asked me to sell it for them, but I can't until I go back over there, figure out what Apple ID they used (because the watch has been erased and it won't show the full email address, and they have at least three), and remove it from that Apple ID. It's waiting until I have another reason to go over there, because otherwise I'd have so much time in it that I might as well just recycle it. It's in near-new condition, everything about it is legit, but as it sits it's effectively worthless.

It's infuriating.
I was waiting for an appointment at the Apple Store recently, and there was a not-elderly guy (40 tops) who needed to sign out of a macbook, and he didn't know his appleID. He called like 6 people on the phone, asking them if they had any guesses what email address he had used. Apple employee could only give him like the last 3 chars or whatever. It was excruciating to observe.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005

It's infuriating.

And we/Apple are just supposed to take your word for it that it is legit and not stolen? Activation lock has been demonstrated to significantly reduce theft.

I was waiting for an appointment at the Apple Store recently, and there was a not-elderly guy (40 tops) who needed to sign out of a macbook, and he didn't know his appleID. He called like 6 people on the phone, asking them if they had any guesses what email address he had used. Apple employee could only give him like the last 3 chars or whatever. It was excruciating to observe.

I agree that it's incredibly infuriating that that people cannot remember their passwords, or even worse their email addresses. We expect people to know where they live in the physical world, why is it unreasonable that they do the same online. I use a password manager, problem solved.

Bad actors have made it a necessary evil to have strong unique passwords.

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

Sezel

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2024
really? a link to how to do it? so basically a gelous guy can simply get receipt of wife's iphone and unlock it so easily?

even the dumbest thief knows how to remove sim and/or activate plane mode / turn phone off. and he will certainly do it before u even realize u lost your phone...
Purchase receipt has the IMEI of the device. So GELOUS guy's wife receipt will not match.

Does removing a SIM and turing off the phone or keeping it in airplane mode removes the device passcode / icloud lock / activation lock?
*cough* locate the device even when switched off *cough*

A simple task for you : try removing SIM from a 15 series iPhone (US model).

Also read about the technologies related to that ;)

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Purchase receipt has the IMEI of the device. So GELOUS guy's wife receipt will not match.

Does removing a SIM and turing off the phone or keeping it in airplane mode removes the device passcode / icloud lock / activation lock?
*cough* locate the device even when switched off *cough*

A simple task for you : try removing SIM from a 15 series iPhone (US model).

Also read about the technologies related to that ;)
I never saw a receipt with imei on it. i didnt even saw one with serial on it. u know, iphones are also sold in stores different than apple stores...
but even if its like u say, the receipt is in the same home as the wife and its iphone, so "what" should not to match?
anyway give a link or at least an article about this procedure. u still didnt...

never said this. u said that phone can be located even if in airplane mode and without sim, and "iphone 15 US model" its like 2% of the iphones in the world, so i dont need to "read about technologies". and u know, gps localizes in 2D and the thief probably lives in a condo rather than a big house. do u want to "localize" a phone in a condo??? :)

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
And we/Apple are just supposed to take your word for it that it is legit and not stolen? Activation lock has been demonstrated to significantly reduce theft.
Who demonstrated it? Apple? Like "4x less thefts than previous iphone!*"? 😂
*iphone 15 512gb brown space
😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Sezel

Sezel

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2024
I never saw a receipt with imei on it. i didnt even saw one with serial on it. u know, iphones are also sold in stores different than apple stores...
but even if its like u say, the receipt is in the same home as the wife and its iphone, so "what" should not to match?
anyway give a link or at least an article about this procedure. u still didnt...

never said this. u said that phone can be located even if in airplane mode and without sim, and "iphone 15 US model" its like 2% of the iphones in the world, so i dont need to "read about technologies". and u know, gps localizes in 2D and the thief probably lives in a condo rather than a big house. do u want to "localize" a phone in a condo??? :)
Below link for article where people claiming they get imei number on purchase receipt.

If the shop (online/offline) does not provide imei or at least device's serial number then DO NOT BUY from that place.

And regarding 15 series iPhones, it was never about the iPhone, it was about the "eSim" technology which is present since iPhone Xs.

Below link of iPhones mentioning offline find my feature:

Google recently launched their version of find my:

The device can be in any condo or tunnel it will remain locked.

Any manufacturer can only design and implement technologies / features. It's up to the users to use it or not. All of these will not prevent theft, they act only as a deterrence.

If people are not using / enabling these features then it is their issue.

It is all about the implementation and how the user uses or not uses the intended feature.

Always use esim so that it can't be removed. If your device is lost/stolen immediately mark it as lost. If the decice is switched off then it relies on any other apple device in proximity to send the last known position (this happens automatically, ofcourse need to setup earlier). The more early and quickly you act the more chances of recovery.

If you are using an iPhone then you can try above steps to test features by marking your phone (with esim) in lost mode. And then try unlocking it without your password (treat it as someone else's phone). Also try switching it off and then place it in a Condo and try locating from find my network on another device. Also try using parts of your device in another phone to see if it works in another phone. Then try visiting apple for unlocking but not on your purchase receipt.
Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophisticatednut

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008

The elderly.

It's infuriating.
I understand that situation. I've seen it. It's frustrating for those affected, to put it mildly. The issue is that activation lock dramatically reduces the value of iPhones to thieves. Any option will cause problems for someone. Not having parts locked would almost certainly harm many more people than having it does.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
apple should simplify this process like giving an option to setup a master/admin like account that, in case, has the permissions to delete (without accessing data) of the main account.
MDM systems are numerous and allow organizations to do exactly this, and more if desired. But again, they require forethought and planning, but nothing crazy even for a small IT shop. Sucks for your buddy's company, but you're very confidently wrong here. If they really have a box of cloud-locked iPhones, I'd sincerely hope that that they are looking at MDM solutions, because there's no excuse but ignorance.

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
MDM systems are numerous and allow organizations to do exactly this, and more if desired. But again, they require forethought and planning, but nothing crazy even for a small IT shop. Sucks for your buddy's company, but you're very confidently wrong here. If they really have a box of cloud-locked iPhones, I'd sincerely hope that that they are looking at MDM solutions, because there's no excuse but ignorance.
so i think, many single persons, needs a mdm solutions, just like needing a doctor, lawyer, etc. Actually me, and many my friends are mdm solutions for our respective parents...

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Below link for article where people claiming they get imei number on purchase receipt.

If the shop (online/offline) does not provide imei or at least device's serial number then DO NOT BUY from that place.

And regarding 15 series iPhones, it was never about the iPhone, it was about the "eSim" technology which is present since iPhone Xs.

Below link of iPhones mentioning offline find my feature:

Google recently launched their version of find my:

The device can be in any condo or tunnel it will remain locked.

Any manufacturer can only design and implement technologies / features. It's up to the users to use it or not. All of these will not prevent theft, they act only as a deterrence.

It is all about the implementation and how the user uses or not uses the intended feature.

Always use esim so that it can't be removed. If your device is lost/stolen immediately mark it as lost. If the decice is switched off then it relies on any other apple device in proximity to send the last known position (this happens automatically, ofcourse need to setup earlier). The more early and quickly you act the more chances of recovery.

If you are using an iPhone then you can try above steps to test features by marking your phone (with esim) in lost mode. And then try unlocking it without your password (treat it as someone else's phone). Also try switching it off and then place it in a Condo and try locating from find my network on another device. Also try using parts of your device in another phone to see if it works in another phone. Then try visiting apple for unlocking but not on your purchase receipt.
Let us know how it goes.

So i should buy it only from apple store? Here in europe, you know, i never saw imei on receipts, even in the biggest stores. And what about if i bought from a small store that meanwhile doesnt exist anymore? i send invoice to apple and they simply trust me its real? its not so difficult making a fake invoice with photoshop. Jeez u just found the icloud-lock ultimate exploit! Anyway i was waiting for the link with this procedure, not stores giving imei (flipkart?). And what about the guy-wife question?

Well, U said "iphone 15"...:)

Well no. Manufacturers implements and forces you to use them in a "brutal" way. Easy to activate, hard to disable. Same for 2FA. Years ago i also knew that if im on holiday abroad, and i lose my iphone, i can always go to an internet point, login to my icloud, get all phone numbers i need and still get connected to rest of the world. If it will happens now, im totally screwed. How i access my icloud if it rquires a phone (lost), or my imac (at home)?? in such cases i would risk a bit other than ruining my whole holiday...And theres no way to disable 2fa...

Let us know how it goes.

esim...do u know "somewhere" its not an option? here in poland, only one carrier or 2 offers an e-sim, and they plans are far more expensive than others. So very expensive option...

For "condo" i mean, it has several floors, not about coverage. if someone stole your phone and that phone is in a 10 floors condo, do u go ringing at every door? Hi do u stole my iphone? Nope, see ya!

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
so i think, many single persons, needs a mdm solutions, just like needing a doctor, lawyer, etc. Actually me, and many my friends are mdm solutions for our respective parents...
If you really think so, then I guess you could use one. Seems like a waste of money and effort to manage just a handful of devices, but it's your money. Alternatively, you could just sign your parents up for Last Pass. Or for free, set up Keepass for them. Or write their info on a piece of paper and stick it in a firebox. If this is all just too much to deal with, you can just turn off Find My.

But sorry, nobody makes a magic solution that is perfectly secure and also fully idiot-proof. iCloud lock is pretty close though.

repoman016

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
if jelous guy owns the company and wife uses phone purchased by company, yes. its a company phone at that point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.