Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
A lot of the work on open source software is actually done by paid engineers at tech companies.
Why skip over the rest of my post? I already addressed this.
The only time an open source project is "adopted" is when a particular corporation wants to exert influence over the direction of the product, but most OSS never sees a dime. Enough is enough. Fund open source efforts right on the GitHub.

Reactions: rumormiller

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I'm waiting for all the rabbit open-source fans to tell us open-source is much safer than closed-source.
rabbit.png

Open Source at Apple.

Open source software is at the heart of Apple platforms and developer tools. Apple works with developers around the world to create, contribute, and release open source code.

ScottHammet

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Setting aside the argument of which is safer, open or closed source software, it would help if all software were required to provide and maintain a manifest of all included and dependent modules, and their respective metadata (version number, etc.), that could be used to locate and identify those components that require remediation whenever vulnerabilities are found. Today there's no systemic way to collect and maintain an accurate inventory. Perhaps the most difficult aspect of Log4J is finding and patching all the dark corners of an enterprise where it's being used.

Reactions: kc9hzn and jdb8167

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
The entire Linux community is open source, and yet this is a much more secure platform than Windows has been. And Mac OS and their browsers have heavily benefited from the give and take between Unix and Linux (macOS building on a Unix rather than Linux kernel )

I am almost certain that there have been more security faults in proprietary systems than well maintained open source projects, because the drive behind open source is a more idealistic than the industries “quick to market / milk them all”

With that being said, especially when it comes to web development and the package repositories I see there, I am more doubtful and careful with using and relying on them. I feel it often moves too fast and the community has a different background than e.g. hardcore Linux developers.
Still not that simple. If you want to target a system, the natural targets are those which are most prominent.

Is the platform really more “secure” or simply far less frequently targeted?

threesixty360

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Regardless there are hundreds of these types of libs that you describe. Where does it end? Is it only for backend or does it extend to front end? No one, certainly the government has the capability to ensure the security of the literally hundreds of packages that make up a common stack.

It doesnt have to be every library. Just the most used ones. Your not trying to guarantee there zero vulnerabilities. You are just trying to limit the damage if there is an issue. Its pretty easy to work out the most used libraries. The reason why everyone freaked out about log4js is because they all knew that it was used everywhere, even without checking. Because everyone needs to log. Just do a survey of them most used files and most embedded. And make sure they are ok and govt govt agency can review them.

I can see the biggest problem is ratifying a design decision. Log4J issue was done for a reason without thinking it through. Not sure how that can be policed. But I know if we added that to one of our libraries at my company, lots of other devs would ask what the hell do we need that for?

TheOldChevy

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Switzerland
Tone deaf sarcasm. Log4J was and is a catastrophe and the problem of software maintained by volunteers is very real.
The problem is not SW maintained by volunteers, it is its usage for purpose that is far beyond what the initial SW can do and in a context that is beyond the validation/maintenance available.

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
Maybe if some of the entities that rely and benefit so greatly from these projects put some of their vast resources into contributing.

Reactions: JMacHack

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
For the people worried about restrictions on FOSS: Code has been settled as free speech protected by the first amendment. The United States government cannot stop you (without legal challenge).

Unfortunately, congress is run by clowns and old farts that wouldn’t know an int from a double, and as such are likely to view anything that isn’t source obscured with suspicion and fear. Their main point of reference is military OPSEC, which is reliant on secrecy.

This is probably in all likelihood going to lead to nothing substantial.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
That is exactly what I came here to say. Open-sourced software is one option that keeps people from using the Mac App Store and I am afraid that someday Apple is going to put that wall fully up on the Mac garden.
I don’t know how many times I have repeated this: forcing the Mac to App Store only would kill the platform. Apple knows this, and isn’t likely to shoot themselves in the foot.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
That is exactly what I came here to say. Open-sourced software is one option that keeps people from using the Mac App Store and I am afraid that someday Apple is going to put that wall fully up on the Mac garden.
Can’t happen until there is an alternate way to develop software for the Apple ecosystem besides the Mac. Developers need full control of their machines for software development.

Reactions: JMacHack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.